MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for November 2017: Perseverance

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Tenpenny, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    The monthly challenge for November 2017 is:
    Perseverance

I'm hoping that this is a nice broad category that will provide a challenge for all genre's of photography. Post photos that you feel represent Perseverance. It need not be super obvious or literal, just as long as the photo represents perseverance to you.

For example, in this photo. I don't just see an old shack and desert. In my head, I wonder at the grit the homesteader that settled here must have exhibited and imagine the hardships that he endured. I look forward to seeing your entries!

36101237702_cad1d19dd0_k.

Please read these 3 simplified rules:

I. Photos must be taken in the contest month (seriously, go take some new pictures)
    II. Must vaguely resemble the theme.
    III. Max 2 entries (each in a separate post.)

Rules for Participants:
    • This is a fun contest with nothing to be won but bragging rights. Having said that, please read and follow the rules below to make it easier for everyone.
    • The contest period is the current month. Entries can be made until approximately midnight on the last day of the month local time. Voting will extend until the third day of the following month. The winner will then be announced and be responsible for posting the new contest. If the new contest is not announced by the 7th of the month, responsibility for posting falls to the second place finisher. Keep it simple and post/vote early so we don't have to obsess over deadlines and time zones.
    • Post a maximum of two entries, each in a separate post. (The host may also enter.)
    • As the purpose of this contest is to get people out and shooting, photos must be taken in the contest period. Please note the date the photo was taken in your post.
    • As a m43 community, we advocate the use of m43 cameras. However, since many of us shoot with multiple systems, we allow photos taken with any camera.
    • Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up) and two points for each "winner" (medal) or "Wow" (surprised face). The photo with the most points will win the contest. The tie-breaker is the larger number of "winner" and "wow" votes.

Procedures for Winners/Contest Hosts:
    • As a contest winner, you are responsible for posting/hosting the contest for the next month. This is easy and just requires several steps as outlined below.
    • Select the theme for the next month. The theme should be accessible and relevant for everyone. Obscure and difficult themes limit participation and are thus discouraged. Avoid themes related to specific holidays, seasons, geography, etc. Suggested themes include: B&W, Portrait, OOC jpeg, Close Up, Self Portrait, Transportation, Minimalist, Architecture, Long Exposure, Art Filter, Motion, Specific Focal Length, Shutter Speed, Liquid, Reflections, Colour, Calm, Single Color, Shadow. Pick one of these or you may pick a theme of your own choosing. Themes may be used multiple times.
    • After you select a theme, post a new thread in "Contests and Challenges" section of the forum. The thread title should read "MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for [current month, year] - [selected theme]". Copy and paste these rules and post. Also please add the contest theme that you just won to the list. You may wish to include a sample photo to demonstrate the theme (and this will not count as an entry).
    • On the last day of the month, post that entries are closed and voting will be open until the 3rd.
    • At the conclusion of voting on the 3rd or shortly after, tally the points and announce the winner and runner-up, being sure to tag them in the post and also sending a PM to the winner.

Previous Monthly Contest Themes can be found here.

• Like Like x 8
  2. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    A great theme that will make contributors think and search for the right subject
    And may I add, a very fine image from you to represent the concept for this month's contest

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. CD77

CD77 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Chris
    Taken 5th Nov... this was the result of a good amount of effort of trying to get the fire started! Taken on pana 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 on e-pl3.

PB050720-1.

• Like Like x 12
  4. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I got a challenged by a friend to do "7 days 7 BW photos", I accepted! The only time so far that I have taken pictures every day so far has been on vacation, so I hope I can persevere and finish the challenge. I even created a thread on here to put more pressure on me to finish! Got challenged to do 7 days / 7 pictures in BW
    I will submit the 2 best photos to this contest.
    First one, Day 3. (2017-11-11)
    P1080788_DxO_Web.

• Like Like x 8
  5. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 17, 2016
    like, The Valley
    It occurred to me after seeing the tree outside my window get brutally hacked down to a collection of stumps yesterday that this particular terrestrial organism is probably my definition of "perseverance"... the ones in dense human environments, especially. They put up with a lot of crap that they can't walk away from, and just Keep Going for the most part. With that in mind, I figured this shot from the 4th of this month would make a decent entry... though I can't honestly claim I had the theme in mind when I took the picture.

gb044737.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Patrizia Santarelli

Patrizia Santarelli Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2017
    North Tuscany - Italy
    Patrizia Santarelli
    17th nov.- PB140039_DxO. I like to think that the lonely figure immersed in her thoughts is waiting for the return of the beloved man to the place of the first encounter. Will perseverance be rewarded?

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 17
  7. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Orbmiser

Orbmiser Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2017
    Portland,Or.
    Been in 4/3rds only a week. 1st day coming from Pro Photo Supply with used EM-1 walking back to home.
    Iconic Memories from the 60's when I was a kid.

Always Wanted a Land Rover.

• Like Like x 11
  9. magister

magister Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Tuscany- Italy
    Adolfo
    The "ravaneto" is an expanse of small scraps of machining, for many years exclusively manual, of white marble blocks extracted in the quarry. These fragments filled some mountain canals reaching the bottom of the narrow valley.
    For me, the "ravaneto" represents the perseverance of generations of men who, over the centuries, have faced a work tiring and dangerous.
    PB190073_DxO.
    Photo taken on November 19th.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Taken today, 11/19 with my Steinheil Munchen enlarger lens.

38531167001_27c47ff347_h.

• Like Like x 5
  11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  12. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    not sure if it fits the theme but this guys seems to persevere at begging on my balcony until he receives a hand out..
    taken with adapted D.O. Industries (Navitar) 75mm f1.3

38439990716_f7fd6d6729_h. to the bone by gnarlydog, on Flickr

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 3
  13. Frogwatch

Frogwatch Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2016
    Perth, Australia
    Matthew
    Taken yesterday, 24th

I noticed that there were a lot of flies hiding from the heat under the leaves of a shrub outside the front of my house. Then I saw a midgie... hmmm? I don't see those during the day. Oh... that's not just a midgie.

20171123_14-24-56_23794.

It was a tiny spider dragging around the corpse of a midgie. It was very shy as it wasn't interested in sharing its large meal.

• Like Like x 8
  14. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    An oak tree, almost a millennium old. That's my idea of perseverance...!
    Needed a *much* wider lens really. And the old "zoom with your feet" thing would have meant you couldn't see the thing any more.

Taken 26th Nov 2017

26886843169_86a3163fdd_b.
    800 year-old Quercus Petraea
    by wi-fli, on Flickr

Rob

• Like Like x 7
  15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  16. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Nov.4 - Practice makes perfect . . .
    P1040116b_SPDWeb.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Taking on the world, one fort at a time.
    P1080670e.
    10 Nov

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  18. Kennikins

Kennikins Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 25, 2017
    UK
    As much dishevelled appearence as perseverance, great shot!

19. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    Late November and a few leaves are still clinging to warmer times...
    OI000293.

• Like Like x 6