MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for July 2021 - RUST Closed to entries, WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Looking back the last two contests have been composition based, so I thought maybe a return to subject would be a nice change. Something that anyone can do, in any part of the world, any time of year...sounds like rust! I bet most of us can do it without leaving the yard.

Artistic rust, accidental rust, damaging rust, intentional or incidental rust. Anything goes.

One note: The rules still referred to a 'Medal' as the winner vote. It changed to a 'trophy' some time ago, so I have updated the references in the text.

Rules:
  1. The image must be taken within the contest month; the date the photo was taken must be stated in the post.
  2. The image must resemble the theme, although a liberal and creative interpretation is encouraged.
  3. A maximum of two (2) entries per participant, in separate posts

Rules for Participants:
  • This is a fun contest with nothing to be won but bragging rights.
    Having said that, please read and follow the rules below to make it easier for everyone.
  • The contest period is the current month. Entries can be made until approximately midnight on the last day of the month local time (in this case I will use GMT time). You can Vote for any picture or multiple pictures you like during the month and voting will extend until the third day of the following month. The winner will then be announced and be responsible for posting the new contest. If the new contest is not announced by the 7th of the month, responsibility for posting falls to the second place finisher. Keep it simple and post/vote early so we don't have to obsess over deadlines and time zones.
  • Post a maximum of two entries, each in a separate post. (The host may also enter.)
  • As the purpose of this contest is to get people out and shooting, photos must be taken in the contest period. Please note the date the photo was taken in your post.
  • As a m43 community, we advocate the use of m43 cameras. However, since many of us shoot with multiple systems, we allow photos taken with any camera.
  • Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up), "funny" (happy face), "appreciate" (heart icon), or "agree" (green check mark) and two points for each "winner" (trophy) or "Wow" (surprised face) clicked on the post. The photo with the most points wins the contest. A tie is resolved by the post with the larger number of "winner" and "wow" votes. Submitting a photo to the contest is not required to be able to vote.
Procedures for Winners/Contest Hosts:
  • As a contest winner, you are responsible for posting/hosting the contest for the next month. This is easy and just requires several steps as outlined below.
  • Select the theme for the next month. The theme should be accessible and relevant for everyone. Obscure and difficult themes limit participation and are thus discouraged. Avoid themes related to specific holidays, seasons, geography, etc. Suggested themes include: B&W, Portrait, OOC jpeg, Close Up, Self Portrait, Transportation, Minimalist, Architecture, Long Exposure, Art Filter, Motion, Specific Focal Length, Shutter Speed, Liquid, Reflections, Colour, Calm. Pick one of these or you may pick a theme of your own choosing. Themes may be used multiple times.
  • After you select a theme, post a new thread in "Contests and Challenges" section of the forum. The thread title should read "MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for [current month, year] - [selected theme]". Copy and paste these rules and post. Also please add the contest theme that you just won to the list. You may wish to include a sample photo to demonstrate the theme (and this will not count as an entry).
  • On the last day of the month, post that entries are closed and voting will continue and be accepted until the 3rd.
  • At the conclusion of voting on the 3rd or shortly after, tally the points
  • Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up), "funny" (happy face), "appreciate" (heart icon), or "agree" (green check mark) and two points for each "winner" (trophy) or "Wow" (surprised face) clicked on the post. The photo with the most points wins the contest. A tie is resolved by the post with the larger number of "winner" and "wow" vote
  • announce the winner and runner-up, being sure to tag them in the post by using an @ in front of their name
  • also send a PM to the winner.
  • Most important thing is HAVE FUN!
  • Previous Monthly Photo Contests

Sample images:

3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
5.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Santa

Super Moderator
Real Name
Tom Staggs
On my Front Porch, “ Soon to have a problem” July 5th

E2CAAEA1-1587-4D0A-8278-984A0002F624.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Uhhh, you've never lived in a desert. Today will top out around 110F and with less than 2 inches of rain a year, rust is not that easy to find :laugh:

Anyway here is my contribution, I believe a mid 30'S International Power Wagon with a bit of rust. This sits in a deserted ghost town not too far from Death Valley.

View attachment 896998
But you found some!

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Jim according to the rules the date the photo was taken must be posted with the entry. Love the old international. Should post in the truck forum thread also.
1st time posting in this thread, was not aware of that. My photo was taken in Jan this year, so disregard my entry.

Last edited:

Santa

Super Moderator
Real Name
Tom Staggs
1st time posting in this thread, was not aware of that, sorry. My photo was taken in Jan this year, so disregard my entry.
This contest helps us to go out and take photos. Post another one I’m sure you can find some rust in the month of July! 😉

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
A lot of of us suffer from senior moments, @Santa took the picture on the 5th of July according to Exif data,
June and July is sometimes hard to distinguish!
I'll try to find some rust to participate with.

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek
July 1st, 2021

20126056lca2-s.jpg

Last edited:

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
51290568776_f6a5a44356_o.jpg

July 2nd

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Entry #1: Rusty wheel
July 6th

The heavily rusted wheel of an ancient, currently non-operational, pickup truck, parked by the highway, in southern Oregon.

GX9_July6_21_rusty_wheel.jpg

Last edited:

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Entry #2: A different rusty wheel
July 6th

It's not quite an automotive graveyard, but on a highway just outside of Ashland, Oregon, there is a collection of ancient cars, trucks and vehicle, some rusted, some ready to come back as gasoline-powered zombies. This particular one sits atop a tiny trailer, like an ancient rusted automotive king on his throne.

GX9_July6_21_rusty_wheel#2.jpg

Last edited:

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek
July 7th

Edit - thought I would give it a title: "Wheel Lock"

20126247fslcaDn.jpg

Last edited:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Entry #2: A different rusty wheel

It's not quite an automotive graveyard, but on a highway just outside of Ashland, Oregon, there is a collection of ancient cars, trucks and vehicle, some rusted, some ready to come back as gasoline-powered zombies. This particular one sits atop a tiny trailer, like an ancient rusted automotive king on his throne.

View attachment 897219
Both great shots! Per the rules, please post the date the photos were taken with each one.

Thanks!

agiyo

Mu-43 Rookie
Shot this evening, 8 July 2021, E-M5 Mk II, Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro
P7080079_DxO_DxO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
John
July 10th, 2021, Firepit cover (to catch sparks)

corrosion2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom