1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for January 2016 - Self Portrait (closed)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Harvey Melvin Richards, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for month of January 2016
    Theme: Self Portrait

Rules for Participants:
    This is a fun contest with nothing to be won but bragging rights. Having said that, please read and follow the rules below to make it easier for everyone.
    The contest period is the current month. Entries can be made until approximately midnight on the last day of the month local time. Voting will extend until the third day of the following month. The winner will then be announced and be responsible for posting the new contest. If the new contest is not announced by the 7th of the month, responsibility for posting falls to the second place finisher. Keep it simple and post/vote early so we don't have to obsess over deadlines and time zones.
    Post a maximum of two entries, each in a separate post.
    As the purpose of this contest is to get people out and shooting, photos must be taken in the time-frame of this contest.

Please note the date the photo was taken in your post.

As a m43 community, we advocate the use of m43 cameras. However, since many of us shoot with multiple systems, we allow photos taken with any camera.
    Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up) and two points for each "winner" (medal). The photo with the most points win with the contest. The tie-breaker is the larger number of "winner" votes.
    Procedures for Winners/Contest Hosts:
    As a contest winner, you are responsible for posting/hosting the contest for the next month. This is easy and just requires several steps as outlined below.
    Select the theme for the next month. The theme should be accessible and relevant for everyone. Obscure and difficult themes limit participation. Avoid themes related to specific holidays, seasons, geography, etc. Suggested themes include: B&W, Portrait, OOC jpeg, Close Up, Self Portrait, Transportation, Minimalist, Architecture, Long Exposure, Art Filter, Motion, Specific Focal Length, Liquid, Reflections, Colour, Religious, Calm. Pick one of these or you may pick a theme of your own choosing. Themes may be used multiple times.
    After you select a theme, post a new thread in "Contests and Challenges" section of the forum. The thread title should read "MU-43 Photo Contest for [current month, year] - [selected theme]". Copy and paste these rules and post. Also please add the contest theme that you just won to the list. You may wish to include a sample photo to demonstrate the theme (and this will not count as an entry).
    On the last day of the month, post that entries are closed and voting will be open until the 3rd.
    At the conclusion of voting on the 3rd or shortly after, tally the points and announce the winner and runner-up, being sure to tag them in the post and also sending a PM to the winner.

Previous Contest Themes:
    November 2015 - "Red"
    December 2015 - "Black and White"

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I think this line should be emphasized, so participants notice and read it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I just deleted an image I posted so I can redo it.

This brings up a point I'd like to raise, something not addressed in the rules. In past contests after I've posted two pictures occasionally I shoot a better one. What I've done is to delete one of the earlier pictures, including any likes, and posted the new one. I've always checked with the contest originator to make sure this is OK. No one has objected. Otherwise, I'd probably wait until the end of the month before posting anything. Allowing image replacement seems reasonable to me as long as scores aren't accumulated for multiple images (in other words, no editing the post to replace an image). I wonder how people feel about this.

Brian

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I don't have an issue with this practice, but where do you draw the line? If a photo gets 1 like is it no longer allowed to be removed? Or is anything OK up until the last minute? Also if people wait until the end of the month to submit their best work, I think the thread will stagnate and not go anywhere. I think if we want this young thread to flourish we need to iron out some of the details, and adjust as it goes.

5. Brian Beezley

I'd say you can delete a photo at any time no matter how many Likes it has. Losing those Likes is the price you pay for replacing it with something you think is better. But definitely no editing a post to replace a photo because that would sum the Likes for the old photo with those for the new one. That wouldn't be fair.

Brian

6. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I agree, but full disclosure here, I tweaked the level on my winning 2nd place photo, nothing else was changed. I'll go stand in the corner if necessary.

7. Brian Beezley

If you mean leveling the horizon, I noticed that - and I really liked it better! I think if you were to solicit appropriate punishment for your deed, you'd have no shortage of suggestions. Incidentally, since the originator isn't judging the entries, I see no reason you can't post a self-portrait. I'm sure it will include a dog one way or another, but that's OK.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    The lack of a single judge or curator is one of the things that makes this thread interesting. I find the solicitation of punishment interesting and disturbing.

9. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Personally I agree with Brian's approach after all "As the purpose of this contest is to get people out and shooting" This approach would encourage being more active with your camera and self critical of your own posts. I do feel tweaking needs to be treated in the same way though, after all if you are changing the picture you could remove the reason why someone has voted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    GH3 & Oly 45 on 1/5/2016

Someone has to get this going :blush:
    P1050065-1.

• Like Like x 6
  11. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    This is a great theme for the month. Excellent choice, @Harvey Melvin Richards@Harvey Melvin Richards.

Regarding the comments above, I don't think we should worry too much about a tweak or an occasional deletion unless it really starts creating problems. Let's just go take pictures. Way to get us started @chipshot713@chipshot713!

• Like Like x 1
  12. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    As far a minor changes go, i.e. horizon, I don't have a problem. However I suggest the poster use the edit button to note the change below the photo. This gives folks a head-up and an opportunity to change a vote...or not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

5th January 2016

E-PM1 O15 BCL
    image.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    24196860345_f823a75a27_b.

3th January 2016

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    em5ii with P20..window light as I don't like flash 01/01/2016
    P1010004.

• Like Like x 12
  16. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    "New Years Day", taken 1/1/16.
    EM10II + P20/1.7.

P1010069.

Note horizontal red/green colour banding due to electronic shutter + fluorescent lights (how can I remove that in Lightroom?!)

• Like Like x 6
  17. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Crickey mate what happened?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I assume a motorcycle did this to you ? - ouch !
    Hope it ain't as bad as it looks
    Regards and best wishes
    Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    • Like Like x 7
  20. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    @Brian Beezley@Brian Beezley , dang man hope that wasn't your leg !!! If it was I sure hope you are doing better.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1