MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for April 2018 - Quality of Light

Dogman

Mu-43 Veteran
This month's theme will be the Quality of Light. The image could be a subject bathed in sunrise or sunset light. Or, it could be soft diffused light or harsh light depending on what you're trying to convey. It could even be a subject lit by light painting. But, the image should strongly emphasize the quality of light. Here are some examples:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Please read these 3 simplified rules:

I. Photos must be taken in the contest month (seriously, go take some new pictures)
II. Must vaguely resemble the theme.
III. Max 2 entries (each in a separate post.)

Rules for Participants:
This is a fun contest with nothing to be won but bragging rights. Having said that, please read and follow the rules below to make it easier for everyone.
The contest period is the current month. Entries can be made until approximately midnight on the last day of the month local time. Voting will extend until the third day of the following month. The winner will then be announced and be responsible for posting the new contest. If the new contest is not announced by the 7th of the month, responsibility for posting falls to the second place finisher. Keep it simple and post/vote early so we don't have to obsess over deadlines and time zones.
Post a maximum of two entries, each in a separate post. (The host may also enter.)
As the purpose of this contest is to get people out and shooting, photos must be taken in the contest period. Please note the date the photo was taken in your post.
As a m43 community, we advocate the use of m43 cameras. However, since many of us shoot with multiple systems, we allow photos taken with any camera.
Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up) or "funny" vote and two points for each "winner" (medal) or "Wow" (surprised face). The photo with the most points will win the contest. The tie-breaker is the larger number of "winner" and "wow" votes.

Procedures for Winners/Contest Hosts:
As a contest winner, you are responsible for posting/hosting the contest for the next month. This is easy and just requires several steps as outlined below.
Select the theme for the next month. The theme should be accessible and relevant for everyone. Obscure and difficult themes limit participation and are thus discouraged. Avoid themes related to specific holidays, seasons, geography, etc. Suggested themes include: B&W, Portrait, OOC jpeg, Close Up, Self Portrait, Transportation, Minimalist, Architecture, Long Exposure, Art Filter, Motion, Specific Focal Length, Shutter Speed, Liquid, Reflections, Colour, Calm, Single Color, Shadow. Pick one of these or you may pick a theme of your own choosing. Themes may be used multiple times.
After you select a theme, post a new thread in "Contests and Challenges" section of the forum. The thread title should read "MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for [current month, year] - [selected theme]". Copy and paste these rules and post. Also please add the contest theme that you just won to the list. You may wish to include a sample photo to demonstrate the theme (and this will not count as an entry).
On the last day of the month, post that entries are closed and voting will be open until the 3rd.
At the conclusion of voting on the 3rd or shortly after, tally the points and announce the winner and runner-up, being sure to tag them in the post and also sending a PM to the winner.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
This is one of the beautiful stained glass windows in the Empress Ballroom of the world famous Blackpool Winter Gardens. Taken from inside the ballroom on an overcast day (this is Northern England after all), the natural light given by these windows was a massive help to the challenging internal lighting for photos from the British Junior Dance Championships. These windows are on the balcony floor and the only place I could get a decent shot from was on the ground floor as most of the balconies are closed off due to maintenance work, which meant using the longest lens I had with me, my Helios 135mm f2.8. This was stopped down to sharpen the features in the glass and close down the excess light from the window and internal lighting.

Winter Gardens Window by Chris Dawson, on Flickr

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
I thought I would get in early this month.

Also, I thought that this topic was interesting, inspiring and quite honestly with a wide range of possibility.

4/5/2018, E-M10, Sigma 30 1.4, Live Composite, iPhone SE for lighting.

View attachment 630811
Lovely! Is the iPhone providing the frontal fill with a window providing the backlighting?

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Looking at @Dogman examples it seems that the real emphasis here is indeed light.
Not any light, but the one that takes an ordinary subject and creates a scene that is outstanding.
Living in a sub-tropical location I am challenged by sun light that is most of the day too harsh to then produce images that are too contrasty for my liking.
But there are a few hours a day when the sun is lower to the horizon where the blue light is mostly filtered out and the shadows aren't so abrupt. Beside and overcast day it's pretty much the only time of the day that I bother photographing.
And then there are those fleeting moments of mere minutes when the sun is very close to the horizon and the light is golden: I chase those moments of quality light.

fool's sunrise by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Cross posting from Landscape thread (Apr 11)

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Cellar spider on my shower faucet

(taken on the 10th, flash to the left bounced off of the white walls to the right and behind.)

Last edited:

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Dancing in the Afternoon Sun

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro

E-P5 with PL 20mm @ f/2.8, 1/200 sec, ISO 200

rkaijus

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ram
Pen-F 17 1.8 and edited JPG in snapseed

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom