Mu-43 Gallery FAQ

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'll compile the frequently asked questions and answers regarding our gallery in this thread, beginning with:

Click on the Gallery tab at the top right of any page.

If you were uploading to our old album system, that system has been disabled now that we have the new Gallery. I apologize for all inconvenience. More information about this is available here.

Go to the Gallery and then click on the "Upload Photos" link near the upper right part of the page.

Unfortunately, no, this is not possible. Only images hosted in the Gallery can be displayed in the Gallery. However, your images hosted elsewhere can be displayed/embedded easily in any forum discussion. See this thread for more information about how to do that.

That is completely up to you. We want our Gallery to be a showcase for Micro 4/3 photography, so please make use of it! However, our resources are finite, so it makes sense to use outside hosting if your needs exceed what we can provide.

Each member has 100MB allotted space in the Gallery. Site supporters (donors) get 5x as much space. Allotted storage per member is subject to change depending on our resources. If we downsize, you may lose images, so do not use our Gallery as your only place to store images!!!

Not at this time. We had to disable this function due to memory errors.

Uploaded images must be 1500px in greatest dimension. For best displayed image quality, I recommend a max dimension of 1024px for the uploaded image.

There are lots of tools available for resizing images. My personal method is to upload them full size to Flickr. Flickr resizes them automatically to a variety of sizes (and unlike many online service does so while preserving image quality and sharpness). I take the "Large" size from Flickr, which is 1024px in max dimension, and upload that to the Mu-43 gallery.

We ask that members limit non-MFT photograph Gallery uploads to a minimum.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Double click on Photo Options and then select Edit Photo as shown below

Attached Files:

3. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Double click on Photo Options and then select Edit Photo, then select "Delete" from the drop-down menu.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this either. The best workaround I could find is to go to your gallery using the Firefox browser and use the middle button on your mouse to get each of your images on a separate tab. From there, you can use the Firefox add-on called "Save image" (has to be installed separately) which will let you simultaneously download all images from all tabs while setting limits for image dimensions and/or file size to be downloaded.

If you upload an image to the Members Gallery, it automatically categorizes that image under your user name. However, it will not be placed in an album unless you create and album and specifically upload the image to that album or subsequently move the image to that album.

To make albums, click on "My Albums" (towards the upper left area of the screen under where it says "Register") and then select "Create a new album". This album will then be available going forward as a place to which you can upload images.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    View the photo which you want to be the cover, then go to Photo Options (near upper right as shown in my response to Bill above) -> Make Album Cover

5. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    While posting, look underneath the Smilies, and you'll see a place called "My Photos". Click on the link below that which says "Insert", and that will take you to a popup window showing your gallery photos, which you can then select for display as thumbnail or original with or without an embedded link to your gallery. It's very handy!

6. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Unfortunately, there is no official resource.

No, but if you don't set up albums, all images will be in your member gallery without any particular organization. If you set up albums and upload to them, then your member gallery images will be organized in albums which are viewable by you under "My Albums" as well as by others via the "Personal Albums Index".

You can choose where to add your picture(s) during the upload process. Only one location can be selected during upload - this can be your member gallery (without a particular album), an album within your member gallery (which you have already created), or one of the pre-existing site categories (within the Specific Camera, Specific Genre, or Image Quest categories)

Images can be moved to a different category using the "Edit Photo" option and using the "Change category" option.

That is entirely up to you. No matter which gallery you upload to, your uploaded image will be displayed in your Member Gallery. However, albums can be created only in the member gallery, and only photos in albums are accessible via the Personal Albums Index.

No, it is only possible to upload to one gallery at a time.

Yes, you can upload a zip file containing multiple images, as long as the zip file is under 16MB.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Gallery "buddies" for keeping track of new photos added

...there's a pretty cool option in the gallery - if you are particularly interested in a certain member's work, you can click on their name in the gallery and then you'll see a list beneath their avatar...and at the bottom it says "Add to Buddies". This option allows you to receive "messages" when this member adds new photos to the gallery.:cool:

You'll get notifications in the gallery and can read them and remove them as you like.

(Copied by Amin from another thread)

8. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Unfortunately this feature is no longer available due to server limitations.

That depends on the software that you are using. Please post questions and answers about resizing in this thread.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This thread has been updated, and I am bumping it for our new members.

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Bumping this one up, again for all the people who have joined us since March.:bump:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.