1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43.com's Post Processing Challenge - #26 [100 hours]

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by rhoydotp, Apr 18, 2013.

1. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    This is a hazy/flat photo taken behind the glass of CN Tower Observatory using a GX1/20mm combo.

I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as the other PP Challenges you've had done before.

[​IMG]

JPEG: http://db.tt/jVzmBMVl
    RAW: http://db.tt/hAdqyYW5

This challenge will end on April 21

=====
    Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 100-hours (we don't have to be strict about 100-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

=====

2. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    Thought I'd get in early this time round because I'm away this weekend camping. (please don't rain please don't rain...)

I cropped a wee bit, boosted contrast, brought the sky down and accentuated sun rays, corrected horizon distortion slightly and painted on some clarity.
    -
    P1060701_MU43PP26.

3. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    2nd entry - black and white rendition of the first, with even more contrast and a little grain added.
    -
    P1060701_MU43PP26-2.

4. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Struggled to find an interesting crop this time. I used a brownish graduated filter on the sky and part of the water, the proceeded to abuse the contrast and clarity sliders. Then added some vignetting.

QTWAuAE.

5. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Have fun ... rain is always a pain, bring some board games or a nice book just in case :)

btw, I like the contrast on both

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well here's my first attempt. I chose a square.

pp26.

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I found it tough to identify a "focal point" for this image. The only thing that really grabbed me was the patch of sunlight in the lake and the specular rays of sunlight reaching down to it. If I had the chops to do it I think it might be interesting to place some element in this spot as though it were handed down from the heavens.

In the end I went for a lo-fi sort of Lomo-esque vibe. Slight crop, exposure adjustments, a graduated filter to reduce the exposure in the upper third of the frame, applied a "lomo" LR preset which I've manipulated so that it darkens the right side of the frame to draw the viewer's attention to my chosen focal point.

2013-04_TorontoHarbor_1024.

8. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Nice image again to work with :smile:

I chose an unusually wide landscape crop at the horizon line, for my first attempt, trying to emulate an early evening scene with a movie camera panning from the tower.

8661240704_0b1ffdc543_b.

P1060701_MU43PP26_PP_1
    by savvy249, on Flickr

All done in GIMP from the JPG, I couldn't get UFRAW to convert the RAW file without crashing, it kept running out of memory during the output to TIFF process - grrrrr ....... I'm hoping to get my new laptop delivered on Saturday so, if I get it all reloaded in time, I might just be able to sneak in a second entry using Lightroom :thumbup:

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    You mean like this? Lol...

saucer.

10. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Here are my 2. First one did global adjustments, cropped to a 16x9 and a couple gradients then did some playing in Color Efex. The second one I cropped a little more and tweaked it in Silver Efex.
    Here are the basic adjustments I did on the original file:
    Temp - 6194
    Tint - +8
    Exposure - 0.00
    Contrast - +59
    Highlights - -100
    Shadows - +100
    Whites - +44
    Blacks - -76
    Clarity - +100
    Vibrance - +10
    Saturation - +18
    Sharpening - 39
    Noise Reduction: Luminance - 42
    Color - 42
    As for Color Efex and Silver Efex I don't remember what all I did with them. In Silver Efex I didn't use a preset I just used the control panel on the right to get it the way I liked.

This tutorial helped me a lot with the Nik software.
    http://education.niksoftware.com/tr...e-with-john-barclay/0/1/0/new-to-old/0/page:1

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8660272511/" title="pp26-1 by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8660272511_e336e1d85b_b. "1024" height="576" alt="pp26-1"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8660272773/" title="pp26 by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8660272773_6da0533862_b. "1024" height="403" alt="pp26"></a>

11. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    All those beams abducting people? :2thumbs:

12. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    robbie36, that is awesome!!!! LOL

13. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    you are right!

this was taken during March Break here and when I saw how the sun is hitting the lake, I snap a quick shot with my 2-year-old son on my other hand :biggrin:

great edits so far, keep 'em coming!

14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Nailed it! :2thumbs: I knew if I put that thought out there someone would step up.

15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This was not meant as a criticism/critique of the image, just a comment on my process. Before I start fiddling with sliders I usually like to figure out what element(s) I want to draw the viewers eye toward and I had a tough time deciding. That's probably why this is called a "challenge".

The sky is interesting and I can see why you were drawn to shoot it.

16. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Oh, I didn't think it was a critique at all. I was actually agreeing with you. I've picked this image as I've probably have 5 edits of this already. I have a couple that I like which I'll post here after the challenge is over.

17. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I won't even bother entering this one. Chapeau to you sir!

18. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    :bump: for more entries :drinks:

19. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    my first entry

In LR I used my own B&W preset - from there I went to Viveza 2 to make some local adjustments Started in the sky and used the warmth slider to get some color back. Did the same on each side of the picture. Back in LR I croppedd the bottom a little and added some vignetting

P1060701_MU43PP26-Edit-Edit.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

20. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    Went to town on this one (a quiet morning at work, hehe) - Processed raw file in RawTherapee, added a bit of HDR effect in Topaz Adjust, added crop, border and graduated tint in Picasa:
    8661800999_4a9c8094c0_b.
    P1060701_MU43PP26_rt_ta_pic by theoldsmithy, on Flickr