Mu-43.com's Post Processing Challenge - #25

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by robbie36, Apr 15, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I have loads of photos suitable for this challenge. Namely photos that I havent processed (although I quite like them) because they are flawed in one way or another.

This photo looks pretty awful but I think there is a decent pic waiting to get out.

pp25_1_of_1_.

So here are the files

jpeg
    https://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJnTkZnT01Fd2RqQThUQw

RAW
    https://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJnTkZnT01ZY1RFdzhUQw

The jpeg is generated in a 'RAW + jpeg' shoot. I could probably generate a better jpeg from the RAW if someone wants.

The usual blah.....

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

This will end on Saturday the 13th at midnight.

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Entries close Wed midnight (US time) and results Thursday morning....

2. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    very quick small jpg

quick and dirty PP of the small JPG

Attached Files:

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^^
    I especially love the color entry!

robbie, when exactly does the challenge end? Your post says midnight on April 13....

Thx!

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    and the winner is.... LOL
    no fair! those are gorgeous!

5. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
  6. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    Snapseed treatment

7. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    LOL ... you guys are too kind :drinks:

8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    wow there are some amazing colors hiding out in those shadows!

9. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    This is going to be a fun one, and absolutely love what you did with it Ill dawg.

10. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Man I could spend hours playing with this image and coming up with a bunch of different edits that I like. The first one I did basic global adjustments first then I did 4 or 5 different graduated filters(love those things!) taking away shadows and adding color and saturation. The second one was done in Nik Silver Efex and I chose the basic template I liked the best and tweaked it to get the resulting image.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8653290128/" title="pp25 by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8653290128_e0dab28d43_b. "1024" height="646" alt="pp25"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8653289752/" title="pp25-2(1) by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8653289752_57d3f94eea_b. "1024" height="646" alt="pp25-2(1)"></a>

11. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
  12. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
  13. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Mostly LR, and some touchups with Color Efex 4. Cropped 16:9.

pp25_1_of_1_-Edit.

14. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Second try, black and white this time because it's a lot of work trying to get those greens back

[​IMG]

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

15. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
  16. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    here's my submission! Done in Lightroom 5 Beta (I couldn't tell a difference from Lightroom 4 btw...).

unbelievable the colours that were there!

8652940971_d999f0859c_b.
    Surreal Location! by JStheoriginal, on Flickr

17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Great edits so far - keep them coming.

Hmmm yes copy and pasted too much from the last entry. Competition will end at midnight (roughly) US time on Wednesday/Thursday morning.

18. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
  19. shiosaki

shiosaki Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    my try :)
    processing with a single raw is difficult for this photo, i tried not to recover too much from the shadows but just bringing out more of the sky colours.

pp251of1_zpscc728dc4.

20. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    1st entry - I tried a panorama style crop and tried to make the frame more about the sky and the silhouette of the temples, main reason being to avoid any HDR-like treatment, which I'm not good at (or don't like, but probably the first:smile:)

pp25_1_of_1_1.