Mu-43.com's Post Processing Challenge - #24

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by tdekany, Apr 10, 2013.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    The picture was taken the day before Easter during our day trip to The Dalles Oregon and Stonehenge Memorial in Maryhill Washington. This is 1 of 239 photos that I took that day. I couldn't decide for awhile which picture to post, but I think this one is the right one. Taken with our OMD and 100-300 zoom.

Can't wait to see what you guys will do with this one.:2thumbs:

Below is an untouched raw copy converted to JPEG

P3300115.

Original RAW file link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5crkuquraad559/P3300115.orf

Unedited JPEG link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy45bdg5pinm3q0/P3300115.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

This will end on Saturday the 13th at midnight.

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. Matt917k

Matt917k Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Matt
    I'm very new to this whole post processing thing, so go easy! This photo instantly sent me back to 1979, it's school holidays and were doing a road trip to visit relatives in the bush. It also looked very Australian even though it's the other side of the world. Whilst the subject is very much 21st century I really wanted to give it an old school, film vibe with "Australianised" colourings, hence the red earth contrasting with the lush green grass. Edited in GIMP, using the "National Geographic Script", threw in a little contrast and messed with colour a little.
    Photo by Thomas Dekany

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^^^
    I really like this! :biggrin:

--
    Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Please pardon my brevity!

4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
  5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Both of you, great work so far!

6. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Here's a quick bw conversion. I opened the raw in raw droid (free app) and exported to snapseed (also free) and converted to bw with a red filter, then played with the contrast a bit and added a vignette.

uploadfromtaptalk1365667081064.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK my quick takes...all done in Aperture

1) straightened image

2) Cropped to 3 x 2

3) Cloned out some of the windmills to lead the eye from top right to bottom left more

4) worked with exposure, recovery, highlights and contrast to spread the histogram a little

5) brushed some sharpening in over the hills

6) pushed vibrancy a bit on the color version, and boosted the red channel a bit on the B/W

about 20 minutes work

P33001151.

P3300115_-_Version_2.

K

8. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  9. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Here is my take

Both cropped, lowered the blacks enhanced the white and increased sharpness all in LR.

Colored picture in Color Effex
    ND filter tilted a bit
    Pro contrast
    Vignette
    Detail extractor
    Image border

P3300115-Edit.

B&W

Silver Effex
    Low key preset
    changed color filter
    add control point to mountain to get details out and contrast
    Burned edges
    Image border

P3300115-Edit-2.

11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Color Efex and photoshop

pp24_1_of_1_.

12. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    1st Entry

No special zany trickery, just tried a straight recovery to remove the haze/low contrast but, as I have no idea how it actually looked on the day, I made it a bit more picture-postcard in its colours :smile:

8640610358_7eb55abb98_b.
    MU-43_PP#24_tdekany-1a by savvy249, on Flickr

LR4.4
    Rotate to straighten up the windmills
    WB : Temp : 5500, Tint : +10
    Exposure : -0.65
    Contrast : +25
    Highlights : +55
    Shadows : -100
    Whites : +48
    Blacks : -60
    Clarity : +60
    Vibrance : +60

Tone Curve : Ever so slightly brought the 1st & 3rd Quadrant points down, but not by much.

Two slanted gradients left and right on the Sky:-
    Exposure : -1.5, Contrast : 100, Clarity : 100, Saturation :17

Try to deal with the general muddiness on the central hill slopes:-
    NR : Luminance : 45, all other values Defaults
    Sharpening : 105, Radius : 1.5, Detail : 35

Cloned out the right & top right windmill in GIMP 2.8.4, so they didn't get into the frame border.

Exported with Border & Frame.

Got some different ideas to practice on for a 2nd entry :biggrin:

13. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    Bit of an off-the-wall version - I used Topaz Adjust to do a highlight recovery, then I whacked up the saturation and liked the results :)
    8639532205_43bbfa709b_c.
    P3300115 (1) by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

14. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    I went for a slightly tighter crop so both edges of frame were cutting through a windmill, to try and give the impression there were many many more of them.
    Then went I vibrance crazy, so many lovely colours in that hillside :)

P3300115-4.

15. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    :smile:2nd entry - just for fun :smile:

P33001152.

16. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    PP_24__done_bw. PP_24__done.

This is the first time I've done this without looking at what other people are doing first. I thought it would help my creative side. I did mostly basics stuff. Crop, rotate, curves.

17. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    2nd Entry

This is probably the most I have ever done in native LR. I wanted to have a go at this from scratch, without using any presets, plugins, or helper apps. I'm sure Nik or Topaz could have probably done this in a few seconds.

8641594697_7b62000fe8_b.
    MU-43_PP#24_tdekany-2a by savvy249, on Flickr

Took the edit from my previous entry in LR4.4
    Created an inverted V in the Tone Curve panel to get a sort of solarized look. Added more points either side of the mid-point and brought them down further to get rid of the bell curve and make it a straighter inverted V.
    Added quite a few more points to further adjust to "taste" :biggrin:

Gradient in the sky to even further darken it.

Now the interesting stuff :-
    Brushed along the lower sky with 3 separate brushes to get those colours, but had to use the opposite colours required because of the effects of the inverted V in the Tone Curve!!
    Dark Brushes along the bottom.
    More brushing along the mid-layer land and hills, with colour (again some inverted), clarity, contrast, sharpness, and noise settings (too many to detail, but some +, some -, all at the extremes).

Exported to JPEG with Frame & Borders.

18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I know I have posted my two entries... but would like to share a third version - just because I kind of like the cowboys v aliens vibe :)

My aim was to try and simplify the elements of the image and bring out the contrast between the cows and the windmills

P3300115_-_Version_3.

K

19. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I pretended I was cleaning up the image for use in a magazine or something. Very conservative edit as a result, very similar to some on this page. Basically just tried to make it look less flat really.

RMFFHDGl.

20. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Here's my effort. Did most of the work in LR4 - started with basic adjustments (wb, exposure, lifted shadows and highlights, set white and black points, and added some clarity). Then did some adjustment brushes on the sky and mountain to try to add some more depth to them. Also added some light vignetting. Also cropped it a bit. Finished it in picasa with the frame and the cinemascope effect, and added a bit more saturation back in.

m43%20challenge%204.12%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.