1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43.com's Post Processing Challenge - #23

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by ovengloves, Apr 7, 2013.

1. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    Ok here goes :)

I've not got a huge selection of images to choose from yet, so here's one I grabbed last night...

All hail King Waving Cat! In all his badly lit, underexposed, cheap shiny plastic glory!

Do with him what you will... :biggrin:

P4060724.

Original RAW file here...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iq68jpmbqbbtfet/P4060724.ORF

Full sized JPEG here...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6wha7axk2xi47f1/P4060724.jpg

Have fun!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

This will end on Wednesday 10th around lunch time, give or take.

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    O
    M
    G

so hard to work with this one for me
    talk about a challenge! :D

this is the best i could come up with for getting something interesting
    anytime i tried to just stick to making it look normal, id get too much noise and my PP-FU lessons havent covered that yet :)

mainly crop, boosted contrast, adjusted brightness and black level
    P4060724%20-%20Version%202.

and a colored version

P4060724%20%281%29.
    added overlapping bi color filters R/Y, & G/B, then glamour glow boosted way up

3. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    Sorry everyone, I fear I've uploaded a turkey on my very first go :dash2:

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    You shouldn't be sorry, I think it is an excellent picture to "challenge" the group.:2thumbs:

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    hard isnt a bad thing
    its just
    hard

lol :)

im looking fwd to what some of these guys with good pp skills can work out!

6. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Me too! I am sure we will see some cool stuff.

7. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
  8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
  9. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    Tough one Ovengloves!

First submission PP23_1_done_small.

10. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    challenging!

Definitely a very challenging one but I've enjoyed this first one so far :smile:

8629920416_ace2b5375d_b.
    MU43 PP#23 Entry1 by rhoydotp, on Flickr

11. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Warhol is smiling somewhere.

13. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
  14. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    First Entry

My aim here was to do the best straight recovery/restoration of the cat figure, and ditch the drape background. I'm hoping that the figure is actually silver, not gilt, the occasional tinge being reflections, or I will have got it completely wrong !!

8632018256_3a7d41cd0f_c.

In LR4.3
    Crop at 1:1
    White Balance - Temp : 3700, Tint :0
    Exposure : +1.4
    Contrast : -24
    Whites : -95
    Blacks : +5
    Clarity : +50
    Vibrance : +20

Tone Curve : Pulled the Shadows down slightly from mid-way in the first block, pushed the mid-tones up from the centre point up to the 3rd horizontal line

Adjustment brush on the ear by the raised paw to dodge it with Exp +1.00

NR : Luminance : 65, Detail : 50
    Sharpening : 70, Radius 0.8, Masking : 10

Exported TIFF into GIMP 2.8.4
    Made a black Background Layer
    Made a selection around the cat figure, cut and pasted it onto the black layer
    Tried to clean up the edges around the cat, but brushing at this level detail is difficult with a Laptop TouchPad, it could be so much better - must see about getting a tablet.
    Made a copy of this layer and set it to Overlay blend mode to add some Punch to the image.
    Made another copy of the colour layer and converted it to greyscale, added gritty grain, and put it underneath the other 2 layers to add some Pop/Local Contrast to the image.
    Adjusted the opacity of the top 2 layers, until I was "happy". (I would have been happier if I could have done the edge brushing neater as mentioned).

Exported to JPEG.

15. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    2nd Entry

I wanted to convert this to greyscale using some techniques I have been following over on Patrick David's GIMP blog, rather than letting Nik SFX do it all for me.

8630996497_e01188e1f1_c.

In GIMP 2.8.4
    Took the colour layer from my first edit (with its rough edges unfortunately), and decomposed it into the separate colour channels, RGB-Red, RGB-Green, RGB-Blue, HSV-Value, HSV-Lightness, CMYK-K, LAB-L, Luma - y470f, Luma - y709f using the Channel Mixer, putting each one on a separate layer.
    Used the colour layer again to produce a greyscale using Desaturate/Luminosity.
    Again used the colour layer to run it through GEGL c2g with very high settings, Radius 2500, Samples 40, Iterations 80. This produces quite a nice fine-grained greyscale, but takes a looooong time to process and render.

I created masks from the various colour channel layers and created a new layer, to get the tonality how I wanted it, then adjusted the opacity of the 3 visible layers (Col Chan Mask, c2g, & Desat Lum), and their order to blend them together, until I got this final image.

Exported to JPEG.

A lot of effort, was it worth it? I quite like the tonality of it, and it was an interesting exercise and good practice.

16. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    For my first entry, I did basic editing, plus some playing around with curves, color sliders, and brushes. Added sharpness and reduced the noise a bit. All in LR4.

P4060724 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

__

For my second entry, I copied my first and then played with the color sliders, saturation, vibrance, and WB to make a cool gold cast that brought out the reds.

P4060724 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

__

P.S
    :smile:

I originally got a Wacom Tablet for sketching, but I now use it often for brushing in various photo applications. Makes life so much easier! But for now, try zooming in on the photo while brushing/erasing; it gives you a little more accuracy! :thumbup:
    __

Thanks for the challenge on this one!

17. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Thanks, yes I've started looking on eBay for a used Wacom, they look quite cheap, so I'll start bidding. I was at 200% doing it, but the Trackpad just doesn't cut the mustard!!
    Actually, I thought of another way of doing it so I wouldn't need to be careful at all, but too late now for this challenge - but, a lesson learned for next time.

This is why I love these challenges, we do things we wouldn't probably try with our own photographs, and push the boundaries of our own knowledge & skills. This, and learning from others entries, can only improve our PP skills. :2thumbs:

18. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    And if tablets seem daunting, I prefer a gaming mouse, I use the Naga Razor MMO mouse :rolleyes:. Yeah yeah I know, a little geeky sounding, but I love the hot keying on the 20 buttons, the scroll dial and the variable mouse movement sensitivity. There's something about the tablets I couldn't get. BTW, I tried on an intuos3 so maybe with the newer intuos models it's probably easier to use.

19. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    Challenge closed!!

Thanks to everyone who was brave enough to have a go at King Waving Cat - I made an attempt myself and found I could do very little different to him, so I very much appreciate the more imaginative entries!

I have to judge these purely on aesthetics since I don't have a deep technical understanding, so here goes...

2nd Runner Up - Savvy!

8632018256_3a7d41cd0f_c.

This is a lovely recovery given the bad quality of the original photo, great job Savvy. I think if this challenge had been called "Can you polish a turd?" then you'd have won hands down :smile:

1st Runner Up - Bokeaji!

P4060724%20-%20Version%202.

I love this! Great contrast - you've turned it into a very cool graphic, thank Bokeaji.

THE WINNER!!! - tdekany!

This one's weird, ain't no denying it :) But I think it's fantastic, I love the nightmarish almost-neon colours and the mega close up crop. It has a oil painting feel to it also which only adds to its weirdness.
    Congratulations tdekany! :2thumbs:

-

20. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Thanks ovengloves, haha, I haven't heard that expression for ages - glad you liked it, after all.

Congrats to the Runner Up & Winner:2thumbs: