Mu-43.com's Post Processing Challenge - #22

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by dtchan, Apr 1, 2013.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Here is one I took last week while I was in downtown.

Sorry I don't have the raw file.

130327_Downtown_165.

DNG:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13304145/Challenge7/130327_Downtown_165.DNG (Right Click Save As)

JPG:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13304145/Challenge7/130327_Downtown_165.JPG

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

lets end this sometime April 5th!

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    cropped the image, added vignette, added some clarity.

130327_Downtown_165b-2.

4. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    both taken into color efex for darken/lighten center, and pro contrast, then silver efex, the 3rd ot last preset, boosted clarity in aperture

[​IMG]

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    posted in 2 posts because it looked... creepy... in the same post, lol
    now you can see each individually and not half of a side by side type seperated shot, or... something, lol

[​IMG]

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  8. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Lol I tried putting it side by side and it does look kind of creepy.

9. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    Just wanted to let you know that the DNG format image contains your original edits when imported to lightroom

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    d'oh
    i couldnt even open it on my mac

11. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Sorry should be fixed now =(

12. RK777

RK777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Texas
    Robert

Imported into Lightroom, cropped, developed in Silver EFX Pro 2, preset 022 Full Dynamic Harsh with slight adjustments.

Multiple lightroom adjustments

Image used with permission, credit user dtchan at mu-43.com forum.

13. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    PP_22_done_small.

Crop
    Flip
    De-saturate
    purple tint
    touch ups and little bit of burning

14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    jess, i likey that purple!

15. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    A quick crop and process in silver efex

5yvysute.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

16. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
  17. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    Great image to work with, had fun with this one.
    Decided he looks like a movie star, so made it all about him, the girl, and the car :)

130327_Downtown_1651.

18. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Great image, dtchan :smile:

Looked like a street image straight from a movie, to me, so that's what i did with it.

8620611365_bbee1a02dc_b.

MU-43_PP #22_dtchan_1
    by savvy249, on Flickr

LR4.3
    Rotate & Crop
    WB : Temp 5800, Tint +4
    Exposure : -0.6
    Contrast : -5
    Highlights : -32
    Shadows : +51
    Whites : +14
    Blacks : -46
    Clarity : +40

Going for Technicolor Movie rather than old grainy film style, so :-
    Vibrance : +55
    Saturation : +20

Very slight Curves adjustment to bring the left peak down slightly and the mid ever so slightly up

Adjustment brush on the lower forearm with Exp -0.4 to slightly burn the highlights there.

Into GIMP 2.8.4
    Added bottom rectangle INTO image and filled with Black
    Expanded Image Canvas size at the top by the equivalent amount as the bottom black bar, to add the top black rectangle without cutting into his head. (The rotation had severely limited the crop at the top)

19. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les