1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mu-43.com's Post Processing Challenge #17

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by JLphoto, Mar 8, 2013.

1. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    :43: Challenge Ends around 9:15, March 10th, 2013, California time.

This was taken with the E-PL1 with a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D while sailing past the San Francisco waterfront as a storm rolled in. Not the greatest photo, but I think it is a good photo for adding creative post-processing.

Here are the links to the RAW and JPEG files

RAW:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B91H3z4YqxV6MXlRTEFxUzlqU3M/edit?usp=sharing

JPEG:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B91H3z4YqxV6WHlra0V6dUxUVlk/edit?usp=sharing

This is my first time trying to file share on here from Google Drive so please let me know if they are working or not.

Here is the original RAW to JPEG conversion, and compressing for forum posting:
    Mu-43PostProcessingChallenge17_copy.

Thanks!

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    ehepu5am.

Just taking a quick first stab at it from my tab. I separated out the edges and put them on top of a 50% opacity layer of gaussian blur and desaturated everything except the flags in photoshop touch, then I sent it to snapseed to crop, add the vignetting, and bring up the flags a bit.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

• Like Like x 7
  3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Is this correct?

Both the ORF and the JPG downloads are 3.5Mb files.

3.5Mb for a RAW file?

EDIT : and if you change the ORF file extension to .jpg, it opens as a JPEG on double-click, unlike a real ORF if you do this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Bummer I'm away from home for 2 weeks and this looks like a fun one to process.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    agreed ... the RAW link downloads a jpg

use dropbox... you get 2Gigs free and its seamless

K

• Like Like x 1
  6. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    Jack
    I could not find the original raw file, so I just changed the extension. Sorry for confsion

7. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    learn a lesson....never never ever lose the raw file :)

K

8. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    Jack
    Sorry for the raw file mishaps. My computer was being repaired, and when I got it back, only the jpeg versions of photos were left on my hard drive. No idea why.

9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    no sweat jack

we will work with what we have

K

• Like Like x 1
  10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    • Like Like x 6
  11. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    This is awesome!!! I don't understand half of what you did to the picture, but it works!!!! :biggrin::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Tried to emphasize that 'stormy' feel in the shot.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/8542279927/" title="Mu-43PostProcessingChallenge17-1 by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr"> 8542279927_b8980f4862_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Mu-43PostProcessingChallenge17-1"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  13. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    just wee exercise in seeing how far you can push Apertures tools - a shift tilt/toy look

a crop, cloned out a building, some dodging, mucked a bit with saturation, painted in blur

not my finest effort and way more PP than I would normally put into a picture... and if I was doing this much I may have been tempted into photoshop to do more accurate masking

Mu-43PostProcessingChallenge17_ORF.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    My 2 attempts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. rain__z

rain__z Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 1, 2012
    Toronto, Ontario
    Calm Before the Storm

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55524495@N00/8543011271/" title="MU43PPChallenge017.jpg by rain__z, on Flickr"> 8543011271_f2d9aa7088_b. "1024" height="834" alt="MU43PPChallenge017.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 3
  16. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/70084627@N07/8544108352/" title="Mu-43PostProcessingChallenge17 by Mr.Kilawin, on Flickr">"800" height="575" alt="Mu-43PostProcessingChallenge17"></a>

Processed using Gimp 2.8
    • High pass filter
    • Cross process curves from Petteri Sulonen
    • Some blurring on the water
    • minor dodging under the docks and the clock tower.

• Like Like x 4
  17. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    1st Entry, a Dark, Eerie, Smooth, feel.
    2nd Entry, a Charcoal Sketch effect (although I don't like the halo it has given it around the building, and I ran out of time before the deadline to try and fix this!!).

Lots of highlights/shadows, dodging/burning, Clarity in LR4.3, then into Topaz Adjust which I'm giving a try, and playing about with its presets.

8544781148_83993887ec_b.

Mu-PP#17_JLphoto-1
    by savvy249, on Flickr

8543687159_c5fff05ea5_b.

Mu-PP#17_JLphoto-2
    by savvy249, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  18. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    Jack
    Challenge Closed

The Challenge is now closed.
    Results up soon!
    So many great entries

19. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    Jack
    :43:

Honorable Mentions:

Mr.Kilawin

I thought this was a good edit, although the reds and the greens were pushed a little much for my taste

Savvy
    Entry No. 2

I thought this was a cool image in concept, although the execution was not to my taste. Very dramatic though!

Kevin Paris

Thought this was another image where the concepts were there, but were not executed to their fullest. The tilt-shift/toy look is very interesting, although it is very obvious where you brushed, and sometimes the blur would be in some places, but not others in the same layer of background. Nevertheless, this was a great idea, and your colors brought some happiness to the stormy image!

3rd Place: ill_dawg

I really liked your discoloration of everything except the flags, although the greenish grunge softening on the sides kept this from placing higher

2nd Place: spatulaboy

I really liked this image, and I thought the colors were perfect, but there was not quite enough drama for the look I had imagined for this photograph. Still a great edit though, and really pulled my eyes in.

1st Place: Mr Hahn Entry No. 2

I loved this edit! It had a great amount of drama (although a tad over done for my taste) and I loved the BW conversion.

Thank you for the opportunity to host this challenge! I loved the edits you guys put together– you made it very hard to narrow it down!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Very cool, thanks for choosing my entry. It was processed with Aperture and Nik Silver Effex Pro 2.

I'm working to get a degree as a professional helicopter pilot and I have a few mid-term exams and an in flight test happening this week, so I'm going to have to ask spatulaboy to run the next challenge while I'm out for the week.

Thanks,
    Nate Hahn