1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43.com's Post Processing Challenge - #16!

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by woody112704, Mar 4, 2013.

1. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    (challenge ends around Noon on March 7th.)

This was taken in January on a trip down to my parents house in Florida. About 10 miles from their house is a fairly decent sized lake and I was itching to get out and take some pictures because I just picked up photography the month before. Can't wait to see what you guys can do with this!

Raw to Jpeg no PP
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8528020847/" title="raw-jpeg by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8528020847_d2f8300d69_b. "768" height="1024" alt="raw-jpeg"></a>

Jpeg file: Zippyshare.com - P1231711.JPG

Raw file: Zippyshare.com - P1231711.ORF

This is my first time trying to file share on here so please let me know if they are working or not.

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 3
  2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    RAW .ORF downloads & opens in LR just fine :thumbup:

3. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Sweet, thanks for letting me know.

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    *scream!*

I know exactly what I want to do, but lack the skills to do it! Pause this challenge while I enroll in a photoshop course at the local college.... LOL

Fun selection!

• Like Like x 1
  5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
  6. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
  7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
  8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The photo is inherently minimalistic and I chose to stip it of its colour to add to the theme.

Cropped to 1:1 as I felt it was more natural - too bad the railing corner was not centered in the frame.

Also cropped out some of the sky.

8530587520_6a2d60000b_b.
    Mu-43.com PP Challenge #16 by Drewbot 95, on Flickr

9. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    After Sunset Comes the Moonrise

Challenge_No_16_Moon_copy.

I went for a little of a surrealistic look with this, with the moon and all. Basic edits in LR4, with a sever boost in saturation, vibrance, contrast, and clarity. Added slight graduated filter, then cloned out the moon. Then, I continued editing in Autodesk Sketchbook Pro, where I added the moon (I do a lot of car sketching and rendering), and pulled in some color on the moon to reflect the yellow/orange/red coming from the skyline. Then pulled the photo back into Lightroom, where I added more graduated filters, and pulled in some more sharpness on the moon. Finished it off with a slight vignette.

Great image to begin with, and beautiful lake!

EDIT:

Here's my 2nd Entry
    Added a sepia look and pulled in/out light in various places.

Challenge_No_16_Moon_SEPIA_copy.

• Like Like x 4
  10. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack

What do you want to do? :smile:

11. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Bum!! I knew I should have had a go at this yesterday, when I downloaded the file, I was going to clone a bigger moon in too - Nice Job :2thumbs:

12. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    My first entry, then.

Decided to centre up the deck rail a bit, and put the horizon on the top third. Then went stupid with colours :biggrin:
    (And I realise the frame is not to everyone's taste - Marmite!!)

All in LR4.3

8531693412_1e9370da5f_b.

• Like Like x 1
  13. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Wow great edits so far already. Gonna be a tough round!

14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    EXACTLY what you did, cept with the lil prince and a rose girl on the surface... make it so JL! :D heheheh

loooove that monochrome version WOW

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    here are my attempts... a colour and a B/W of the same crop and basic processing.

bumped up exposure, dodged in the railing, added some definition (Clarity for you LR users - as always this was all done in Aperture)

little bit of work with curves ( used curves on the seperate RGB channels on the BW version)

a little tweak with saturation and a very small vignette

P12317112.

P1231711_-_Version_2.

cheers

K

• Like Like x 1
  16. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

Hmmm... Is this Loch Ness? Just thinkin... :biggrin:

-Ed-

17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hahahahahhah..... you obviously have never seen loch ness :smile:

k

18. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Challenge is now closed.

19. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    I really liked all the different takes on the picture. Was a tough choice.

Savvy I liked your picture it was unique but a little to overdone for me.

Honorable mentions:
    Ill Dawg Loved the grain in this one and how the moon was brightened.

mu-43 pp contest 16

Kevinparis I liked how this one came out, so smooth.
    P1231711_-_Version_2.

Runner up Mister Roboto. Loved the B&W one as well but the color one was more like what I would do.
    P1231711.

Winner JLphoto Loved the photoshop of the bigger moon and the contrast plus its unique that you went with sepia on it. The color one was great too but was a little much for me lol.
    Challenge_No_16_Moon_SEPIA_copy.

Congrats guys, it was fun hosting and was a tough decision!

• Like Like x 3
  20. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Here is how I PP'd mine. The border was helped by Savvy.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8537647890/" title="sunsetlake by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8537647890_2060d03821_b. "776" height="1024" alt="sunsetlake"></a>

• Like Like x 1