Mu-43.com's Post Processing Challenge - #15!

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by recasper, Mar 1, 2013.

1. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    (Challenge Ends Mar 4th)

Keeping in the spirit of the last challenge, let's really push those sliders and wave those brushes.

Here is a one off from a recent return to Sutro Baths in San Francisco, CA. I simply cannot stop visiting that amazing area. The tide was coming in fairly strong and I was trying to capture the spray as the waves slammed the cliffside.

So, with no graduated filter at hand, let's see those recovery edits. :whew: How do you envision this scene?

[​IMG]

Raw File: (updated link)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bveod7yg6cpkdub/M43Challenge-REC-Raw.ORF

JPG File: (updated link)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnyx23lljr7p6xs/M43Challenge-REC.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, I haven't done much "file sharing" through the forum before. Hope these links work.

Really looking forward to what you all come up with. :2thumbs:

--- Will Close Challenge on March 4th and announce winners promptly there after.

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I have problem downloading the ORF file.
    It behave like a HTML page and show me gibberish.

3. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Whoops, my apologies. Reuploading and updating as we speak.

Updated

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The ORF works now.
    Thanaks.

5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Bit of a dilemma on this one, I liked that flat rock in the foreground, but I'm not a fan of mid-way horizons.
    Decided to crop so the horizon is more towards the bottom third (and levelled it up), and the wave splash is nearer the intersection of the bottom & right thirds. (I may have a second entry later to try and include that foreground rock).

All adjustments done in LR4.3 this time, no external editors used at all - yeay :tongue:

8518882168_eef4633ff0_b.

Mu-PP#15_recasper-1
    by savvy249, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  6. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Nope, I couldn't get a satisfactory crop with the foreground rock in putting the horizon on one of the thirds without losing most of the sky.

So, here is my second entry, basically the same as the last but the image moved vertically in the crop. Not sure which I prefer.

8519309838_5b0780a7d2_b.

Mu-PP#15_recasper-2
    by savvy249, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Les I have tried to process this photo and could not make near the quality of your processing.
    Great work.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I like this shot. Love the crazy colors that come out when teasing it. So much so, I painted more colors in. Touched up with a little tonal contrast from Nik, and.. umm.. I forgot already.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/8519326758/" title="20130301-M43Challenge-REC-Raw as Smart Object-1.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 8519326758_9fa1be81d7_b. "1024" height="732" alt="20130301-M43Challenge-REC-Raw as Smart Object-1.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 9
  9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    heres my first try
    i liked the crop as is
    i tried going more wide n short, but i like the rocks, and i like the blue-r high sky

[​IMG]

color efex pro
    neutral density(top left corner angled)
    selective darken brighten center (top left corner)
    sunlight(warmth n extra light, dreamy softness so the rocks dont stand out so much from the softness of the water and sky - thought the rocks should frame the water, not make you take your eyes OFF the water)
    photo stylizer 2 varitone 40%(brought out the golden and blue colors more)

• Like Like x 4
  10. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Thank, Ehud, I appreciate it.

But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, recasper might not like what I've done to his image at all, the colours and lighting are VERY different to the original.

Go on, have a go, with something different !!

• Like Like x 1
  11. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Some very nice interpretations so far.

I went for "natural" and did not alter the original crop.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  12. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Les I took your advice and went in other direction.

First try high key B&W with film grain.

M43Challenge-REC-Raw-Edit-2.

Second try in Color Efex Pro contrast, Lighten center and Glamour Glow all inorder to bring out the wave.

M43Challenge-REC-Raw-Edit-4.

• Like Like x 6
  13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I didn't know how to crop this either, so I just decided to leave as is.

Added a slight gradient from the top left to add a bit of fake afternoon sunshine. Increased saturation of orange and reds to create more of the afternoon sunset feel.

I found the seagulls distracting so I cloned them out.

various sliders adjustments

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  14. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    Challenge_No_15_copy.

Went for a "golden hour" look. I live in the area, and I know how beautiful the light can be around sunset time.

Processed in LR4, using basic edits and brushing

Great image!

• Like Like x 4
  15. rain__z

rain__z Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 1, 2012
    Toronto, Ontario
    here's my first attempt in joining the :43: pp challenge

- cropped
    - subdued, a bit of green tint
    - little emphasis on the waves and horizon

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55524495@N00/8520273122/" title="M43Challenge-REC-Raw.jpg by rain__z, on Flickr"> 8520273122_7e36897e77_b. "1024" height="671" alt="M43Challenge-REC-Raw.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 3
  16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I wasn't sure how to deal with the rocks at the bottom of the frame. I cropped to 16:9 since I didn't want the frame dominated by rocks.

I warmed up the photo and lifted the shadows to bring in the rocks.

I was on the tipping point of overcooked but left it at this level of warmth.

8520314984_d57c2e7287_b.
    Mu-43.com PP Challenge #15 Entry by Drewbot 95, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  17. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    • Like Like x 2
  18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    3 by 2 crop... trying to make something of the curve of the rocks at the bottom

some dodging at the bottom, some increased contrast brushed into sky and sea and difinition pushed to the max overall

also cloned out branch on right ...but left the seagulls

all done in Aperture on a 11inch macbook air... total time...maybe 30 minutes including futzing around trying to get a better colour version

M43Challenge-REC-Raw.

K

• Like Like x 3
  19. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I didnt crop (thought the rocks created a nice horizon at one third).
    Processed in Photo Ninja (scenic enhanced)
    Some Viveza adjustments and grad ND in color efex.
    Aimed for the 'sunset look'.

PP15_1_of_1_.

• Like Like x 4
  20. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Just want to say... loving these varying approaches. Its going to be a hard one.