1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #153

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by AussiePhil, Feb 22, 2015.

1. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Something a little different this time, I hope it appeals to a few people.

Haven't been out much so thought I would try the 40-150 Pro with some macro extension tubes this afternoon in the front yard. The bee below was captured using the EM1, 40-150 Pro, MC14 and 26mm of extension tubes, full constant autofocus.

The flowers are lavender to help with colouring

_EM28904s.jpg

The RAW and JPG below are literal straight out of the camera today.

RAW: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28032744/_EM28904.ORF
    JPG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28032744/_EM28904.JPG

This will close sometime Wednesday Night, Australian timee.

Good Luck!

----------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. Cropping, noise reduction and a dose of Google's Color Efex Pro (Dynamic Contrast and Polarisation).

p406680441-5.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Bump, Zues1 is heading towards an easy win :)

4. I'm feeling very lonely out here. Hey, where is everybody? Brian? Scotsman? Dbuckle? Stephography?
    Previz? WhidbeyLVR? Bigboysdad? All the others?
    Gone into wintersleep?

• Like Like x 1
  5. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Ok, just so you won't feel lonely.

16450923598_87c620d28e_c.jpgbee3 by vorlon44, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

_EM28904 (2).jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    post_process_challenge_153.jpg I didn't feel this shot needed much so - I kept a light touch. Minor exposure adjustments, a touch of clearview, noise reduction and a slight crop in DXO:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I hope I'm not too late.

Cropped, straightened, added saturation, added gradient to darken shadow and brighten bokeh, added warming filter.

16645661292_bf454f6a0a_b.jpgbee by AussiePhil

• Like Like x 4
  9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    And for something a little different.

Cropped, contrast increase, sepia tinted, added grain.

16026859203_77a7f38a06_b.jpgbee2 by AussiePhil

• Like Like x 2
  10. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Drum roll................................

Congrats to TNcasual for Bee by Aussiephil, the colour one, I liked the sepia tone one as well.

Second does to Zeus1 who nearly won by default, I really like the 90 degree rotation, it suited the bee very well.

Thanks to everyone else.

I have a few out of that session I will now be posting up to Flickr in the next week. I was stoked at just how well the 40-150 Pro worked with the macro extension tubes and just how fast that lens can focus. This was before the v3 firmware so I can feel another session with the bees this weekend to test out the 9fps caf.

Zeus1: what's the magic? you got some people out of the woodwork :)

Over to TNcasual....

• Like Like x 1
  11. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey, thanks! I thought it turned out well. I don't know what it was like when you shot the image, but I tried to go for as natural as processing as possible. I will say adding the warming layer really helped bring out a natural feel.

I think I have an image for the next one.

12. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    The out of camera jpg colour for the bee is pretty close but the lavender is more correct in yours, I suspect the white balance was off a little due to the red brick wall reflecting the late afternoon summer sunshine that was streaming in over my right shoulder and setting the overall balance slightly cool. The house faces sort of due west and this lavender bush grows right against the front wall.
    I haven't even looked and the exif data to check this out though.

13. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't know if anyone is interested, but here are the layers from the PSD.

16467368520_402b557138.jpg

The saturation layer was set to "Color" at 61%, the warming layer (orange) was set to "Color" at 24%, and the gradient layer was set to "Overlay" at 14%.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1