1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #126

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by AussiePhil, Oct 12, 2014.

1. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #126 - Closed - Winner Announced

Goodluck folks!

15327205428_969be16364_b. _6212655 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

Links:

Again apologies for only having DNG File not ORF.

RAW (DNG File) : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28032744/_6212655.dng

JPG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28032744/_6212655.jpg

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.
    For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****
    At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.
    Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Contest will end 15 Oct 14 at approximately 11PM AEST (Australia).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Recropping, removing the bench and metalic structures, bringing back the color using HDREfexPro, minor tweaking with Color Efex Pro.

p3357456-5.

• Like Like x 6
  3. KenP

KenP New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2012
    Edited online on Google+ (Snapseed equivalent). No cropping.

_6212655_edited.

• Like Like x 4
  4. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Cropped and some rather savage editing in Silver Effects Pro.

Comp_126.

• Like Like x 2
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Used the online BeFunky editor on the jpeg - always nice to see whats freely available online.

First is a square crop, sharpened and a water-colour affect applied.

Second is a close crop, sharpened and with a 'beautify' filter.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  6. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    16 x 9 landscape crop which reduced the DR in the image (blown skies and metal frames etc) and therefore permitted further tonal expansion on the remaining scene.

Comp_126_2.

• Like Like x 3
  7. wasco

wasco New to Mu-43

Oct 13, 2014
    Just some simple edits in Lightroom.
    sHXXDuj.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    oh, just having fun doodling while I wait for other stuff to process....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. minibokeh

minibokeh Guest

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/101667287@N08/15533324222" title="Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #126 by Moritz Berger, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="679" alt="Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #126"></a>
    1. Topaz Clarity on a new layer, 32% transparency
    2. Flypaper textures (2) stacked with layer masks, blend mode 'multiply'

10. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  11. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Last call, about an hour to go for an entry.....

12. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Well thank you all, this one was a tough one to judge as the image leaned towards a certain style that made it tough to decide, in the end I went with the one that made me go "wow I like that" the first time I seen it........

And the Winner is Dave (dbuckle) with

[​IMG]_622 by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

The morning I took the photo it was about 2 degrees celcius and very very foggy and this edit captures the essence of the morning. The original image fails to show the amount of fog around. The B/W too me further enhanced the mood.

Zeus1 gets second for post 2, great job on the clean up of the bench and structures and this creates a more tranquil scene, I really did like it and it's closest to the what I would personally do.

Sokar gets third for post 4, The crop really works well and the bench becomes a focal point for the eyes and works to draw them down from the sky and up towards the sky at the same time.

Thanks to all for your entries.

I'd like to add that I'm finding the post processing challenges really good both from a participate part but from the insight into how other people would edit and view the images and this provides a great learning chance about improving my own editing skills rather than lock into a format. Since starting this I'm no longer afraid to apply non standard crops and to look for new angles.

Cheers
    Phil

• Like Like x 4