Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #124

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by sokar, Oct 3, 2014.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Welcome to Challenge No.124 and 'Best of Luck' to all those who choose to enter.

I hope the photo selected for this challenge will encourage members to enter. The shot was taken on sunrise on the Western Peninsula of Thailand, several months ago at a quiet beach retreat, Pak Nam Pran. As I recall, my partner and I had the beach to ourselves and therefore had the time and space to set up the tripod etc. As one can see, this photo was not only taken with M43 gear, but has M43 gear in the shot.

Camera used was the EM1 with the 12=40mm zoom @ 34mm. ISO 200 / F:8.0 / 1/1000 with no IS.

Pak_Nam_Pran.

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.
    For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****
    At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.
    Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Please use the links below, to access the full sized ORF and JPG files.

ORF File @ http://1drv.ms/1uiEK8q

JPG File @ http://1drv.ms/1uiEQNc

Contest will end 07 Oct 14 at approximately 6pm Bangkok time.

• Like Like x 6
  2. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    P5270400-Edit.

color efex
    bi color user defined
    a blueish barely tealish and the default brownish orange

then added the sunlight for softness

cropped in lr
    boosted clarity

• Like Like x 6
  4. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

A somewhat conservative split toning in ACR.

P5270400_copy.

• Like Like x 5
  6. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Great results so far. Keep them coming.

7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    A 16x9 crop, White point and multiple colour tweaks and saturation adjustments with the goal to always drag the eye to the right with the shading.

15432849662_22e2607407_b. P5270400 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  8. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    PPC #124

Slight crop adjustment
    Played with the tone curve to get the desired light balance
    Opened highlights and deepened shadows
    -30 orange and yellow hue shift for a richer pallet
    Increased clarity, saturation and vibrance
    Cooled white balance temp
    Eliminated unappealing cloud
    Mask over water to decrease clarity and saturation
    Mask over sky increasing saturation, brightening highlights, opening shadows, increasing clarity, increased contrast and boosted exposure
    Split toning to warm highlights and cool shadows

• Like Like x 2
  9. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    A quick bump to keep this competition on the front page list. Keep the entries coming.

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    bump DAAAAAAAAAAY yeah!

11. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Well done Bokeaji for the bump. 24 hours to go in this challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    anyone else for lastish day entries? :D

13. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

14. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I'll throw a second in.... this is something i would put on my wall
    15466634935_dc583c0fd9_b. P5270400 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

16x8 crop, essentially the same Raw processing as last one and a subtle oil paint effect to create something that would look great as a canvas print

• Like Like x 1
  15. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Congratulations to all the entrants in this competition. I hoped the image would bring out some varying styles in post processing and that was definitely displayed by the entrants. I must admit, this image has been sitting on my HD for a few months and I have been pondering whether to really make the most of it and have it printed. Therefore, colour, white balance, shadows and cropping were all important to the image results. This is my first judging and therefore I requested the input of my partner in crime, who is in the shot. My partner is definitely no novice to photography in general. She was the sales manager for 10 camera stores in Bangkok city for more than a decade and at times, she seems to have a better eye for a good image than myself.

Results

Ist place for this competition is awarded too esnift for entry #8. This final image contains the balance of the boat and the model that I feel the image needs. The post processing gets quite close to the serene morning the shot was taken. The water was calm, there was little breeze and the sun glowed warmly over the whole horizon highlighting the distance low clouds. Great work esnift and best of luck with the next competition.

2nd place for this competition is awarded too AussiePhil for entry #7. Phil, as per your comments in the second photo, this would make a wonderful canvas print. I actually have ambitions to print this image on canvas at some point and IMHO the larger the print, the more savage of a landscape crop is necessary. The 16x9 on a large screen, looks fantastic. I can only imagine how great it would look on a wall from a distance. Although this image does not replicate the conditions at the time, it creates a spectacular overall look, where the viewer's eyes are directed towards the right. Great processing, a different vibe and a wonderful final result.

The images of Bokeaji (image #3) and dbuckle (image #4) are wonderful in their own ways and clearly show that there are many different directions this image could be altered to maximize the best intended viewing for a specific audience. Although I am a fan of monochrome, I had not actually considered this style of processing; how wrong can one be.

I would like to once again thank all those who have participated in this competition and congratulate esnift and AussiePhil.

• Like Like x 4
  16. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Congrats to esnift for the win and thanks to Sokar for the chance to work on a very interesting image and the kind words.
    Thanks to all you provided competition :smile: and I for one am looking forward to the next round. I'm really enjoying the practice.

17. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Thanks sokar! Warm, calm, and serene were the exact things I was trying to portray, so I'm glad that came across (and that it lined up with your vision).

I'll try to have the next challenge up within 24 hours, but am away from home base so it may take a little more.