1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #123

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by AussiePhil, Sep 28, 2014.

1. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #123 - Winner Announced

Goodluck folks!

15200317758_4c4d9a07b5_b. _9077864 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

Links:

Again apologies for only having DNG File not ORF.

RAW (DNG File) : https://db.tt/K7eFlLuf

JPG: https://db.tt/7ETyCFYN

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.
    For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****
    At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.
    Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Contest will end 02 Oct 14 at approximately Midday AEST (Australia) more likely in the evening when i get home.

• Like Like x 4
  2. zilberdi

zilberdi Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 20, 2012
    PP challage 123-1-2.
    This is my first shot at PP challenge

First cropped the image to bring out the boat and the shore. Increased exposure and decreased whiles and shaddows. Light adjustment of color at the top to appear like it is sunrise. Increased grain abit to have more rustic look

• Like Like x 6
  3. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 4
  4. Just to be original.....a colourful impression.

p800431893-5.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I think it needed crop and BW'ish color

• Like Like x 4
  6. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    I had a tough time with this image, but here goes, anyway:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Hi all, Under 24 hours to go..... have we got more entries..??...... I didn't think it was that bad a photo :smile:

8. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Both edited in LR for 16x7 crop and expand the colors as far as possible. Edited in Nik Silver Effects Pro. First shot with mild sepia and a border that is intended to add a vintage look to the photo and the image. The second edit was then edited in Color effects to add some graduated fog and some control points to adjust the opacity of the fog near the lower centre and centre of the shot.

9077864-Edit.

9077864-Edit1.

• Like Like x 5
  9. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Edited in LR5, no plugins, thought I'd try going for a warm late evening, so applied warm temperature, red yellow & orange saturation, sharpening (can't remember if I applied masking?), noise reduction and vignetting to try & focus a bit more on the boat.

9077864-2.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  10. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Lots of massaging the color in ACR. Smart sharpen in Photoshop.

9077864_copy.

• Like Like x 4
  11. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Last call for entries...... have a busy afternoon yet so will close off and judge in about 4 hours time

Cheers

12. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Ok - 123 is now final

and without further ado the winner is ........ SOKAR with mild sepia image and border.
    You can't tell from my own images but i'm a fan of old photos and this really captured the old time look and feel, the crop felt right with the white of the boat drawing the eye from the dark right side to work towards the vanishing left where the sky meets the water.
    Nice work Sokar.

2nd to Dbuckle for the second photo as it reminded me of rainy days spent on the coast

3rd to bigboysdad this one reminded my of bushfire and smoke over the bay.

Special mention to Conrad for getting nearly as I remember the the actual sight, it was early in the evening blue hour and the photo is taken looking east towards the ocean and the horizon was red/pink/purple shaded.

• Like Like x 5
  13. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I didn't realise 'till you mentioned it but you're absolutely right, that is exactly what a bushfire in Australia is like!

14. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks Phil for the favorable decision and kind words. I will post a new challenge in the near future and hope many will try their hand at making something of the image.

• Like Like x 1