Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #122

NWright

Mu-43 Veteran
Goodluck folks!

P9015984.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links:

RAW: https://www.dropbox.com/s/80yj3z459izetq2/P9015984.ORF?dl=0

JPG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w9ni9mp0orwaug/P9015984.JPG?dl=0

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.
For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****
At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.
Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Contest will end 27/09/14 at approximately 10:00PM PST

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Here's my edit of this challenging photo.

15163671199_cffed50635_b.jpg
P9015984 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

Heavy crop keeping the yacht and the couple looking out over the water, after that it was just work to remove some of the distance haze and balance the lighting up, oh and removed some of the distracting elements.

Cheers and Thanks for the Challenge

Update - Version 2
24-8 crop
15365041725_fa29131336_b.jpg

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Two entries. Kept it simple - initial process with DxO, a 2:1 ratio crop, tiny bit of content aware/cloning, some fun with NIK followed by a 'lazy sunday afternoon glow' and 'moody black and white' variant.

Attachments

• color.jpg
    color.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 156
  • blackwhite.jpg
    blackwhite.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 150

Conrad

Mu-43 Veteran
Mine is an attempt to mimic as close as possible the scene as I imagine the human eye/brain would have seen it. All work done in ACR: exposure adjustment (obviously), blue saturation/luminance adjustment, local contrast lowering, local clarity increase and some burning. Finished with 2:3 crop and healing out the distracting bird.

P9015984_copy.jpg

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
p396637252-5.jpg

BW rendition and antique effect

p389006470-5.jpg

Topaz Simplify (but effect removed from the couple)

NWright

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for all the entries folks!

I've spent some time taking in all of your renditions and I've chosen AussiePhil as the winner with the second entry.

15365041725_fa29131336_b.jpg

I really like how intimate this crop is - it helped force my eyes towards the couple first, then I found myself searching across the photo toward the sailboat. The great job on the colors, pulling out detail and removing unnecessary elements all helped as well.

The runner up goes to Zeus1 with your Topaz Simplified version! - I could see that rendition hanging on a bathroom wall.

Thanks again for the entries and I look forward to more photo challenges in the near future.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Thanks to NWright for the challenge, these are teaching me PS skills each time.

New one up very shortly.

Scotsman Ta, lot's of talent being displayed so don't expect the roll to continue :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom