1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #121

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by esnift, Sep 21, 2014.

1. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    This image could have been helped by waiting for the sun to descend a little lower (wasn't an option) and stopping down a bit, but I was still able to pull an image from it that I liked. Interested to see what you guys make of it and if I'll like your rendition better than my own.

Unprocessed file:

JPG: https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRUTkFqays4Q1N4djlVag

RAW: https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRUTkFqaytsMHljZDhUQw

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.
    For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****
    At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.
    Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Contest will end 24/09/14 at approximately 2:00PM PST

• Like Like x 4
  2. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    Here is my take

121Final-1.

• Like Like x 5
  4. cgomez

cgomez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2013
    15130050488_e51b4fed08_h.

Lovely photo!

Didn't do much other than crop, warm a tad, and add a bit of grain.

• Like Like x 5
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice picture. Amazing how much detail is in there!

First is a tighter 16:9 crop and a lot of messing around with Aperture curves/exposure.

Second is a square crop and DxO FilmPack Kodak Kodachrome 25 filter with a little tweaking of the sliders + a retouch of the bouy.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  6. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    My interpretation on this on.
    15317211341_863a35e3cd_b. P8030967 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

Portrait crop to highlight the light reflection, the house left in to balance things out and to give the eye somewhere to rest away from the sun just as you would in real life. The rest is just colour balance, white balance and various extreme level adjustments to find the classic old school orange look.

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  7. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    This is certainly a challenging image to process. Here's my first attempt:
    image359.

• Like Like x 4
  8. A very interesting image with lots of potential!!!

Major work done in Adobe Camera Raw. Then on to Topaz Clarify (BW interpretation) or Simplify.

p645210508-5.

p604583937-5.

• Like Like x 6
  9. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    15136876509_4ebfce8a98_c.

This time I went for black and white solution.
    Exported different exposures from raw, added a subtle touch of HDR and at the end messed with tonality a bit too.
    PS: Border stolen to dbuckle (what a great use of 2 pixels).

• Like Like x 5
  10. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Lots of great entries. This one will be difficult to judge.

About 20 hours left.

11. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Judges are still conferring. Any last minute entries have less than an hour to get posted.

12. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    121Final-1.

All tallies are in and the winner is: NWright. I like the long narrow crop with this image and the contrasting yellowish-orange and blues as well as the level of detail while maintaining a soft pleasant feel.

1st runner up: Scotsman. Probably the most different to what I had envisioned when taking the shot and I like that. The scene lends itself nicely to a pinhole camera view.

2nd runner up: Zeus1 2nd entry. I like the amount of detail pulled back in the reflection trail and the blown out section above the horizon.

• Like Like x 6
  13. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    Thank you esnift!

I really enjoyed tweaking your entry - I think this competition helps display the flexibility of the files our cameras pump out!

For a quick overview of my process with it:

1. I used Olympus Viewer 3 for the RAW conversion into a .TIF with some gradation tweaks (To ensure as much detail from the picture came through)

2. Loaded the new .TIF into Lightroom and did quite a bit of color tweaking, brush spot editing (to really try to get the blues out of the water) and sharpening (with a ton of masking).

I'll be sure to carry on the tradition and will get #122 up and running soon!

• Like Like x 3
  14. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Congrats to NWright