1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

mu-43.com Addiction ?Is there any cure?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I joined this forum just for knowing more about MFT system and share experience of different people over here. But over the time this thing is turning into a serious addiction . I think this addiction is much better than just playing games on FB and reading how many of ur friends are constipated and how many have farted in the last one hour. But again an addiction is a addiction . So how many of you are addicted and open this site when they turn their laptop on .Be honest as I am one of them.:smile:Now is there any cure?(Lets hope there isn't any as this is a fantastic addiction ) Lol:popcorm2::popcorm2:

Note- This is a light hearted discussion just for fun .So no need for adrenaline pumped posts..Just relax and chill out
    :drinks:

2. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Let's face it... Everyone here is so friendly and supportive of each other, that it warrants the addiction.... In fact I wouldn't really say it's an addiction....

This site is just another medium to communicate and share.... Communicating and sharing is natural :smile:

3. Bhupinder2002

I know it .. Thats why I said who wants a cure..hahaah I just want to tell my wife that I am not the only one .There are so many of us ..hahah

4. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm addicted as well.. I don't always go to this site first.. I try to restrain myself especially first rattle out of box in the morning.. I check, news and weather first just to keep myself sane.. but I'm temped.. after maybe 10 AM I check it frequently.. I have G.A.S big time and a very sick individual here... I love this forum and Serious Compacts as well.. :smile: I think the guys in the White Coats will be coming to pick me up soon.!! by the way, I have done some research and sadly to say I have found no antidote. "No Cure" you are stuck..
    :smile:

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I already have an expensive work-only DSLR kit, but I don't get the same giddy fun I got with M43. M43 is more like my play cameras. You can dress them and make them look cool. :wink:

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It's a great m43 user support group, I love the iphone app. However, a large number of its members suffer from serious GAS switching their gear rather quickly (reminiscent of compulsive shopping, far from enthusiasm or hobby). They get too excited not only about every new m43 camera and lens but even about new shiny P&S cams. It is amusing to read but I usually dismiss their commentary cause I know it's only valid until the next shiny thing comes out (usually every few months).

7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Art.. it's kinda like fishing tackle.. LOL.. if you go to a good place to fish (everyone says you will catch the Big One) and you are not catching anything and guy next to is hauling them in.. and he says I am using a Purple Spinner with Orange Dots.. and I don't have one.. I reel up and head to the Tackle store.. I not only buy a Purple Spinner with Orange Dots.. I buy the Green one next to it on the rack with Blue Dots.. LOL.. if that makes any sense.. I am Crazy.. pure and simple.. but I do love the Photography thing.. very cool HOBBY.. new stuff is good and keeps me interested.. :smile:

8. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Art.. it's kinda like fishing tackle.. LOL.. if you go to a good place to fish (everyone says you will catch the Big One) and you are not catching anything and guy next to is hauling them in.. and he says I am using a Purple Spinner with Orange Dots.. and I don't have one.. I reel up and head to the Tackle store.. I not only buy a Purple Spinner with Orange Dots.. I buy the Green one next to it on the rack with Blue Dots.. LOL.. if that makes any sense.. I am Crazy.. pure and simple.. but I do love the Photography thing.. very cool HOBBY.. new stuff is good and keeps me interested..keep bringing on that new stuff and technology.... :smile:

9. Bhupinder2002

Thank u so much for not offering any cure. Who wants to be cured. Its much better than FB . At least there are no traps . Everything is simple and straight forward. We learn something everyday. We remain well informed .We look at each others work and appreciate or criticise . We trade our tools , of course we follow the rules.. YEs we all love photography .
    Cheers

10. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Not a cure really, but was wondering if there is perhaps a calming of the symptoms, as you find what you are looking for in gear. I was shocked to realize that within the space of less than a year, I had bought first a GF-1 with a 20mm, then a 14-45 and 45-200, then picked up a G1 body on eBay, then as soon as it came out, a G3, and somewhere in there a 45 and 14mm.

If this were to continue, I could be in serious trouble. But it seems to be leveling off as certain combinations fall into place. The 14-45 stays on the G3 and I have recently decided to use the G1 with the 45-200 and not change lenses - i.e. both cameras in one bag. The GF-1 with either the 14mm for walks in the woods, or the 20mm for walks in the city. So far the 45 has not really found its niche.

So I think that there was an initial onset of extreme "symptoms," and then a settling out. The above period of aquisition also paralleled a shedding of most of my years of Nikon gear and a complete cessation of DSLR usage.

It has been a lot of fun making the switch to m4/3 and I was able to offset some of the cost by selling most of the Nikon equipment.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No cure here, says the guy with 1600+ posts.

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I could give you the cure, but then you'd need a cure for the cure;)

13. I generally find that political commentary and mud-slinging cures me and sends me elsewhere, until I remember that I'm supposed to help deal with that stuff...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like seeing others photos and ideas and it gives me inspiration to try different things and look for interesting photo opportunities that are around me. I hope i will never be cured and grow stagnant in my busy life and never get complacent about the things around me that i take for granted.

haha 'mud-slinging' , first time i heard that term the other day when Tony Abbot used it.:smile: I might add it to my vocabulary.

15. Bhupinder2002

Lol . Where were u when we were having mud slinging here few days ago?? U r right ..this site and work of other people inspire us otherwise u will never know when & how quickly u have reached ur expiry date..lol:rofl::rofl:

16. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Yeah... Can't help it haha i have a terminal addiction... I wake up, pick up my iphone, look around mu-43.com before i can actually get up! The people here are great, very helpful, friendly, and welcoming so no need for a cure haha!

17. Bhupinder2002

Iphone mu-43 app is the last nail in the coffin. My hands go there more often than another app..lol

18. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Agreed! haha and now that I'm up I'm on the computer... on mu-43.com LOL Tell me that's not an addiction :tongue:

19. Bhupinder2002

I just came back from a 10 hr shift and its 155 am in the morning..but I am still up and looking at various pics .. Lol Other major addiction is BHvideoaudio.com I keep on checking used store to get a good deal and just picked up a sony Nex 5 with 16mm lens for only USD269 , just to keep in my car . I won't invest in Nex more than that. Just wanted to keep a camera always in my car ...:cool:

20. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    wow, that's a pretty good price haha now I gotta go take a look LOL