1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Book Club: book selection poll

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Aug 15, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As detailed in [thread=307757]this thread[/thread] I am trying to start a virtual photography book club in this forum. With this poll I'll trying to determine which book we are going to start off with.

Please vote in this poll only if you are interested in participating in the discussion.

Here are brief descriptions of each of the titles under consideration:

The Passionate Photographer : ten steps toward becoming great (Amazon.com link / GoodReads reviews)
    If you've got a love and passion for photography, and a feel for your camera gear and settings, yet your images still fall short-"The Passionate Photographer" will help you close that disappointing and frustrating gap between the images you thought you took and the images you actually got. Steve Simon distills 30 years of photographic obsession into the ten crucial steps every photographer needs to take in order to become great at their passion.​
    The Practice of Contemplative Photography: Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes (Amazon.com link / GoodReads reviews)
    This book teaches us how to fully connect with the visual richness of our ordinary, daily experience. Photography is not just a mechanical process; it requires learning how to see. As you develop your ability to look and see, you will open, more and more, to the natural inspiration of your surroundings. Filled with practical exercises, photographic assignments, and techniques for working with texture, light, and color, this book offers a system of training that draws on both Buddhist mindfulness practice and the insights of master photographers such as Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Weston, and Henri Cartier-Bresson.​
    Visual Poetry: A Creative Guide for Making Engaging Digital Photographs (Amazon.com link / GoodReads reviews)
    In this accessible and beautifully illustrated guide, readers will discover visual poetry in the creative process; use less to say more with their subject matter; learn to see light, color, shape, and expression; and begin the transition from amateur to professional. Chris Orwig's insights - to reduce and simplify, participate rather than critique, and capture a story - have made him an immensely popular workshop speaker and faculty member at the prestigious Brooks Institute.​

All three of these books take a practical, hands-on approach with assignments accompanying each chapter. This makes them ideal for what I envision this book club becoming. Voting in this poll will be open through this Saturday 8/18 to allow all those who are interested in participating to weigh in. On Sunday I'll announce the chosen title and then we'll get rolling in early September to allow everyone a chance to procure the book.

• Like Like x 3
  2. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I was between "Practice" and "Visual Poetry". One thing that turned me off about the Visual Poetry book was the supposed lack of information in regards to focal length, aperture, etc. While I understand the relationships these things have with composition and dof, I feel like that is information I'd like to have in my stage of the learning process. All three look like great choices though!

3. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I deliberately chose titles that were less focused on the technical and more focused on the more "artistic" (for lack of a better term) aspects of photography. Based on the feedback maybe we can consider a more technical book for a future read. Perhaps we can sort of rotate among "artistic", technical and historical/biographical books as we go forward.

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Yeah I hear you there. I don't want a ton of technical data, just a quick blurb is nice. Knowing that "Practice" just had that tipped the scales for me.

5. Antonio

Antonio Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Great idea. I have just ordered the first and second books your suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    Ordered 1st. Borrowed the 2nd from the library.

7. Loksi

Loksi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2010
    Sydney
    Ross
    They all look to be potentially interesting and useful. After spending some time looking at Steve Simon's images, many of which appeal at a personal level, I've decided to give my vote to The Passionate Photographer. Will be following the discussion and project with interest :smile:

Ross

8. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    #1 arrived today... (fast!) and I prefer it to #2.

#1 seems more approachable and more practical... I have a bit of trouble with how #2 is written... it seems more... "flighty"... if there's such a word.

<back to lurking>

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'll agree that #2 (Practice of Contemplative Photography) goes a bit heavily into the Buddhist mindfulness practice in some of the early chapters (which is all the further I've gotten). Some may find value in that philosophical approach while it will turn others off.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    What a great idea to start a virtual photography book club. I'll check out the books and vote when I'm back at my computer. :smile:

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

12. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    Anyway, I'm OK starting with either book... as long as we GET STARTED :smile:

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I hear ya...I'll announce the "winner" of the poll on Sunday and then we'll give a week or two for everyone to source the book that's chosen. We'll probably kick off the discussion around September 1. In the meantime, feel free to read ahead and start formulating your input. :wink:

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I've ordered the 2 front runners already. Thanks for getting this going! I need to get out of a creative slump.

15. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
  16. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    Same here. Seeing as the two top books are so close in votes, maybe the winning book can be our 'first' book and the running up can be our 'second' book if this turns out to be successful.

17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I would be interested in being in the book club, great idea! Since you are going to announce the winner tomorrow, I will just order that book.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    Only 18 votes? Come on people!

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Frankly I'm surprised by the amount of participation we've had...this should be fun!

20. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Based on the responses in this poll, The Passionate Photographer [thread=31667]has been chosen[/thread] as our initial read. Thank you all for your participation in the poll.