1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Book Club 1: The Passionate Photographer

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Aug 19, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Based on results of the poll through this morning, I've chosen The Passionate Photographer as the book we'll use to kick off this little "virtual book club" experiment. It looks like a great read and I really believe that reading and discussing it together should add to everyone's experience.

Here's a little blurb about the book:
    The Passionate Photographer : ten steps toward becoming great (Amazon.com link / GoodReads reviews)
    If you've got a love and passion for photography, and a feel for your camera gear and settings, yet your images still fall short-"The Passionate Photographer" will help you close that disappointing and frustrating gap between the images you thought you took and the images you actually got. Steve Simon distills 30 years of photographic obsession into the ten crucial steps every photographer needs to take in order to become great at their passion.​

So now we'll give a couple of weeks for everyone to purchase (or borrow) the selection and we'll get started with the discussion around September 1. We'll probably break it out a chapter or two at a time in a single thread where we can discuss and share images based on the assignments in the book. If you get the book sooner (or already have it), feel free to start reading, but I'd really like to give everyone a chance to get the book so that we can all participate in the discussion contemporaneously (also on a bit of a selfish note, I'm going to be on vacation the next week and a half, so I won't be around to faciiliate/participate).

I want to thank everyone who's responded for their agreement to participate in this little experiment. The response has really exceeded my expectations and now I'm really looking forward to jumping in.

EDIT: I just want to remind everyone that Gary Ayala has offered "scholarships" for anyone who would like to participate, but is unable to do so on financial grounds. If you feel that the cost of the book is prohibitive (and you can't find it in a local library), please feel free to PM Gary or myself and we'll facilitate getting you a copy of the book.

• Like Like x 4
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Great, I just ordered the book.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I hope they have all the answers in the back of the book.

4. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    I got the book too ... please keep us updated on when we start the discussions.

Thanks!

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Me too!

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Sure why not...

7. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Cool! I'll be checking the library tomorrow

8. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    Ordered. :)

9. Saizou

Saizou New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks for the recommendation! Would never have bought the book if not for the posts on the forum! I really enjoyed the book! looking forward to the discussion~! =D

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I got my copy - ordered it from B&N as a Nookbook for my tablet. Looking forward to getting started! :cool:

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Another ebook reader! I'm reading mine on my Kindle. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Sounds like a great idea! Ordering the book after I get off work. I was interested in collecting some photography related books but never knew which ones were good so this is a great way to start.

13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Funny ... all my library resources only have the ebook. Evidently one can only use the copy inside the building.

14. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i'm reading chapter 1 now thru our library's online tool :)

15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

We have this great interlibrary loan program so I can get any print book from essentially the entire university system (both UC and CSU) as well as many other county and city libraries. Not so for the ebooks.

16. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    I am in. Ordered the book. Perhaps premature for a rookie photographer like me, but why not reach for the stars? :tongue:

[Edit]: Seems I belong to the old generation, still on paper books. Well, I have patience :biggrin:

17. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    Mmmm, I considered ordering the Kindle version (which is how I usually read all my books), but I only have a Kindle Touch so no colour.

18. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have a Kindle Touch but also Kindle app on PC, which DOES have color. I make book marks, so I can easily find my reference points. :smile:

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

19. Bakker

Bakker New to Mu-43

Aug 10, 2012
    Cannonsburg, MI, USA
    Steve
    Hi, I recently joined the site and came across this bookclub thread. Sounds interesting & enlightening. Seemed logical I should pick up 'Passion' in e-book form to go along with the new-fangled digital camera I'm figuring out. I'm looking forward to good conversations.

Steve ..

20. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Looks like a pretty good start for this idea. If it really catches on perhaps Amin would consider making it a separate category in the forums. That way we could have discussion threads and image threads and keep them all together under the book club topic. Just a thought . . . :rolleyes::biggrin:

• Like Like x 1