Mu-43 Book Club 1: Passionate Photog. - Step 4: Concentration

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Oct 19, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    It's baa-aaack! Just when you were starting to think this "book club" had been abandoned, I'm finally back with the third installment. In case you are coming to this fresh, the idea is for a bunch of us to all read the same book and discuss what we learn in this forum. The book [thread=31428]we chose[/thread] to kick off this experiment is [thread=31667]The Passionate Photographer by Steve Simon[/thread]. It's not too late if you are new to this, anyone is welcome to pick up a copy of this book and join in the discussion. I want to apologize for the length of time between this and the previous thread -- life (particularly work) has been a bit hectic lately.

In previous threads we discussed:
    • [thread=32361]Step 1: Passion[/thread]
    • [thread=32811]Step 2: Volume & Step 3: Work It![/thread]

The focus of this thread is the next step of the author's ten-step prescription to become a "passionate photographer", Step 4: The Lonely Adventurer: Concentration and Never Lingering in Your Comfort Zone

Frankly, I didn't glean a lot from this chapter and didn't feel it delivered as much value as the previous chapters contained. The key pieces of advice I gleaned had to do with the author's experience in shooting a hug political convention and the idea of "warming up" prior to shooting. In the case of the political convention the author determined going in that he would focus on three key elements and discussed how this decision allowed him to focus his attention and get the shots he wanted. The takeaway is that it can be helpful to narrow your focus sometimes.

My favorite part of the chapter was the shooting "assignment", which I am looking forward to tackling.

Please discuss anything that you got out of this chapter in this thread.

Step four: Action: The Lonely Adventurer: Being Choosy
    Go to a place that offers a lot of activity in a confined space. It could be a market of any description, an antiques show, a car show; you get the idea. Then take a walk around the entire space, noting the areas that most interest you photographically and have the most visual potential. Then begin shooting at your first choice and spend at least 15 minutes in each of your top picks, working and exploring the scene. Spending more time in areas with visual potential allows you to peel the onion to get beyond the surface to more interesting photographs you wouldn’t otherwise see. This becomes a good way to spend time and find your way into the photographic zone necessary to do your best work.

Please share your images in a new thread in the <a href="">Images to Share/ Other Genres</a> forum. Title your post like: "Mu-43 BC1: Step 4 Exercise: &lt;name or description of subject/scene&gt;" and please add a link to your thread to this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can come up with for this project.
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Interesting assignment. This one could take some time, waiting for the right event or venue. Sounds like fun, though. :cool:
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I agree that this looks like a good assignment. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much time lately to get out and shoot. I'm starting to feel a little guilty about how far behind I'm getting on shooting these projects.

Anyone else have any input on Step Four?
  4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel