1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Book Club 1: Passionate Photog. - Step 1: Passion - Where did yours originate?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Aug 31, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This thread is a companion thread to the [thread=32361]main Step One thread[/thread] in which I hope that we can discuss the germination of our individual photographic passion, as Steve Simon does in his book.

What was it that lead you into photography?

2. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    I haven't read the book, but here is the main reason why I am into photography: I am a terrible artist (sketching, drawing, and painting). Photography is easier. A minor reason is to capture a memory.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Travel.

My wife and I like to travel, and I got my first m4/3 camera because I wanted to bring home pictures that captured how I actually felt when I was there, what it was like to experience a new and interesting place.

This really hit home several months ago when I was visiting my mom and we took out some old photo albums. The photos immediately triggered all kinds of half-forgotten memories from my childhood that I never would have thought of without the prompting. The experience stuck with me since then and I want to make sure that someday I can look back at my favorite places and times of my life and remember them all over again :smile:

4. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    I always shot with a P&S camera. Everyone kept saying that I have an excellent eye for pictures, so my wife bought me a DSLR (Canon 30D). I was so overwhelmed by the DLSR that till to this day it is sitting in a box brand new unopened.

Last Christmas my brother bought a Canon 7D and was touting its values, so I got a bit jealous and decided to try my hand in photography. I read up on the various cameras out there and bought myself a Olympus E-PL1 and that was my first foray into serious photography. I enrolled in a photography class locally and found a new hobby. I bought a OM-D and now I am really enjoying shooting pictures.

5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Since I was a Kid, My family was always photogs. I was surrounded by the warring 35mm of the 80's Nikon vs Canon. Except for my grandfather who was a slide film junkie, and didn't care what system or size the slide was. They lovingly started me with a zero, absolutely zero, frills K1000 Pentax, a 35mm, 50mm, and 80-200 Sigma zoomer. I so wanted that Canon my Mom had... Loved it, the few times I got use it.

As I was learning in the 90's as a teen, I joined a 4H club, and I noticed there was a photography contest at the local fair, where you could enter into various categories. Oh yes, here's where it starts, I started making these massive projects where I would enter EVERY category with the some kind of picture. I was going to be the "best" in the county, that was for damn sure. Good thing my Mom has always worked on the printing side of the business. I essentially won every year, because my mom let me think I was good as she developed, printed, and help me get the various matte's ready. Lol, now I know better, who really had to do the most work. We had tons of fun though, and to this day now in my 30's we still discuss photography. She's left film behind, I haven't but she loves to discuss my 4x5 antics. The large format mess is all her fault anyway, she found an amazing deal on my set up.

Now in my 30's I love the esoteric sides of photography, from obscure lens designs that have faded away, lens and techniques that have moved on, or whacky new offshoots. Which oddly enough, the film side is really fulfilling over digital. I mostly focus on landscapes, pastoral scenes, and recently delving into a weird obsession with pictorial style pictures. Or my personal favorite, pushing systems to do what they aren't supposed to do, and enjoying the imperfections and trying to work hem into something interesting. If for no one else, but myself.

BTW, I essentially hate every picture I take. There's some I just hate less. Which leads me to these wierd quests to sit there and take the same picture over, and over, and over again. Different times of year, times of day, different light, and set ups. Good thing digital came along, makes my hobby cheaper for sure.

Sadly, I won't shoot 35mm film ever again, that time has past. Large format, hell yeah till they stop making the film, the chemicals for plates or I stop breathing. I would love some better scanner tech though...

So yeah... I'm very scattershot about my favorite hobby. I should see if i could dig up some of those old negs when I was a kid, My mom probably has them somewhere...

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    In 1969 I found myself serving with the U.S. Army in Vietnam. Picked up an Olympus Pen FT and got hooked on making photographs.

When the kids were grown and gone the photography slowed down a bit, then my wife talked me into a cruise to Alaska. I picked up a D70S for the trip, and digital rekindled my fondness for the hobby.

Now semi-retired (I still do a little consulting I.T. work) I've lightened the load by selling off the Nikon gear and moving to MFT.

It is, IMHO, more fun than collecting stamps and only slightly more expensive than collecting used aircraft carriers.

:)

Jim

7. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    When I was in the university I decided to travel a bit.

I still try my best to get to places but it's not the same when you're a student, poor, but having the best time of your life.

I really wanted to capture that essence. So I bought a point & shoot to accompany myself while traveling. A Casio. The rest is history.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I own a used record and CD shop. Around 15 years ago, I started selling some of the more exotic odds and ends on the internets to make a little extra cash. So I've always had a camera for getting images for auctions. I noticed that when I tried taking photos of my dog in the house, that they were "blotchy" (I'd learn later that is called "noise") or the photos were just blurry (of course I wasn't using it in shutter speed Priority mode.....if the camera even offered it, I certainly didn;t understand it)

And so, I started spending progressively bigger piles of money to get better cameras to take better pictures of my pets (LOL). Finally I tired of buying $600 cameras and having crap photos of a dog yawning so I had to learn what the all the setting did. Along the way I realized that I enjoyed playing with the camera....especially when it spit out a nice image at me.

Lately, it spits out better and better images. And I like photography even more. It seems like a vicious circle.....in a good way.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    My father enjoyed photography and had a simple SLR (can't remember the brand) in a leather case that he occasionally let me use. Eventually he bought the venerable Pentax K1000 for both of us to use.
    In Jr. High I joined the photography club and got to work in the darkroom, developing and printing B&W film. That started my love affair with B&W images. My youngest daughter has caught that passion and has taken some beautiful shots. She has a great eye and gets shots instinctively that I have to carefully plan and execute. We've both entered numerous photos in our local fair and each of us has been awarded a number of ribbons.
    I finally got my own SLR when I got married, a Canon T50 which I later upgraded to a T70. With the birth of our second daughter film and developing became too expensive and I put the camera away.
    The advent of digital photography reignited my love for photography. A simple Fuji P&S that I bought for a mission trip to Guatemal yielded some excellent photos and a great deal of enjoyment. I kept upgrading through several Fuji bridge cameras, the last an S9100.
    I also returned to the SLR (actually a DSLR) with the original Canon digital Rebel. I upgraded that to a 40D with battery grip, extra lenses, filters, cable release, tripods, flash, etc.
    Then I discovered :43:! I was looking for something smaller for travel, particularly mission trips. I eventually sold all of my other cameras and now am exclusively :43:.

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I actually first started using a camera as a part of a 4-H project. I used a Kodak Instamatic shooting 126 film. This very basic camera offered very limited control, so "photography" was basically reduced to framing the shot and deciding whether or not you needed to use a disposable flash cube. A few years on, I upgraded to a 35mm P&S, which still offered minimal control.

Throughout my 20s and 30s I always had a decent P&S camera (switching to APS film and then to digital along the way), but I never considered photography a "hobby"; the camera was merely a tool for capturing snapshots. When my kids came along, I started to take it a bit more seriously, but the E-PL1 I bought a couple of years ago was my first "serious" camera. At that point I started learning about aperture and shutter speed, etc. and photography started to become a true hobby for me.