Mu-43 app and Tapatalk removed

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Last edited:

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Side Question: Is the Mu-43 app using Tapatalk somehow? It looks very similar in appearance (app menus and everything). I used both the app and Tapatalk for some time :) (but now only Tapatalk since they look the same).

Is there any benefits of using the app instead of Tapatalk?

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Side Question: Is the Mu-43 app using Tapatalk somehow? It looks very similar in appearance (app menus and everything). I used both the app and Tapatalk for some time :) (but now only Tapatalk since they look the same).

Is there any benefits of using the app instead of Tapatalk?

Our app was based on Tapatalk. There were some slight differences like shortcuts to Buy & Sell, and overall it was organized a bit differently, but basically the same functionality.

If anyone is interested in more explanation of why I pulled the plug, please read this: Tapatalk Forum App for xenForo - iOS / Android / Windows Phone Mobile App [Deleted]

Gary_Berg

Mu-43 Regular
I do agree that what Tapatalk is doing seems "bad", but it sounds like there is an option to opt out. I wonder if you should consider doing that and going back on Tapatalk?

Do consider that making your forum harder to access and use is counterproductive!

Runefh

Mu-43 Rookie
Sorry to hear this. But i do understand that you will do what is required to protect your property.
I will continue to enjoy your site from the web then

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I do agree that what Tapatalk is doing seems "bad", but it sounds like there is an option to opt out. I wonder if you should consider doing that and going back on Tapatalk?

I am considering this option, but there comes a point where partnering with a company and giving them full access to the heart of your site is unwise when that company has on multiple occasions proven to be a bad actor, putting their own interests ahead of your safety and well being.

Do consider that making your forum harder to access and use is counterproductive!

Of course I have considered this. Tapatalk has done us wrong before, but I tried them again. It's always a matter of weighing the good vs the bad. One cannot consider just one and not the other!

ruralvelo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Edwin Young
I miss the iPhone app quite a bit. I don't find the web experience enjoyable at a all. Unless I can come to terms with the web layout and find a flow that I can enjoy the forum through that, I won't be around as much reading and perusing the forums.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
FWIW - I find the site on my phone very easy to use and fast since the move to responsive design - and have stopped using tapatalk for quite some time - so anyone that is used to using tapatalk really should give it a try in their browser.

If it matters, I use Chrome as my mobile browser.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... there comes a point where partnering with a company and giving them full access to the heart of your site is unwise when that company has on multiple occasions proven to be a bad actor, putting their own interests ahead of your safety and well being. ...
There is a fable that appears in may cultures with an almost-identical punch line: "You knew what I was when you picked me up." Search on that line for examples like Stories: Fable of The Snake, The - from Retired Scouter.

I would have nothing more to do with them.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
FWIW - I find the site on my phone very easy to use and fast since the move to responsive design - and have stopped using tapatalk for quite some time - so anyone that is used to using tapatalk really should give it a try in their browser.

If it matters, I use Chrome as my mobile browser.

I agree, the site is excellent since the switch to a responsive theme.

jpig

Mu-43 Regular
Funny, I ditched the app just last week because I decided that I liked the site better in Firefox.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Noticed something funky going on when i saw that i couldn't reach conversations in app. Good riddance i say, though it was convenient at times to have the app.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I miss the iPhone app quite a bit. I don't find the web experience enjoyable at a all. Unless I can come to terms with the web layout and find a flow that I can enjoy the forum through that, I won't be around as much reading and perusing the forums.

Please let me know if there is anything specific you'd like to see added or changed to make the mobile web experience better for our site.

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
I think the website is one of the best mobile forums I've used. Instead of being a dumbed down version of the desktop site, all functions are present and easily used. I tried the app but didn't feel it was necessary.

If Tapatalk can't play nice, ditch them. Remember: fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I think the site works well on a mobile browser. I did slightly like to use the app on my phone, though. It just seemed a to have a slightly better arrangement. On a tablet I always stick with the browser.

barry

Super Moderator
Please let me know if there is anything specific you'd like to see added or changed to make the mobile web experience better for our site.
Hi Amin, on an iPad in landscape orientation, the app would show the list of threads (with new posts) on the left, and tapping on one would open it on the right.
One would never have to go back and forth, saving refresh time as well as taps and arm movements to the back button. Browser tabs don't help much as still need lots of movement.
I have hand/arm issues (RMI) so it makes a big difference for me.

On a PC, I can middle-click the mouse to open everything in new tabs, and then use the keyboard only to navigate between tabs and scroll.

I don't see a good way to achieve the left thread list without resorting to frames or lots of JavaScript, which may introduce other usability issues.
However, if the forum software has options, I'd like to see some examples to try.

Thanks,
Barry

You have one of the best forum experiences on mobile devices I have encountered anywhere!
I do not find visiting this site painful in any measure on my tablet. Kudos for a great implementation. I say let 'em go and don't look back...

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
It just came to my attention that Tapatalk has been copying our site content and rehosting it on their site.

See: Google

Because this is not good for us at all*, I again had to disable Tapatalk support :(. Unfortunately this means that our site app will also cease to function.

Sorry for any inconvenience. As an alternative, please consider saving a shortcut to our homepage on your phone.

*Duplicate Content - SEO Best Practices - Moz
Was always sus about tapatalk

And this site is very mobile friendly via browser :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom