mu-4/3s for fast action/sports

NetizenSmith

Mu-43 Regular
Why do you want to move to a micro 4/3rds system? Current gear too bulky?
EDIT: Just re-read your original post. Sounds like, based on your shooting style, that any contrast detect A/F system will disappoint compared to your 40D.

panystac

Mu-43 Regular
The GH2 may boost a faster AF speed. But I you will notice a big difference if you shoot a burst. It is still not idea with the current evf refresh rates. I would not bury the canon quite so soon.

The GH2 has a super high burst mode at reduced resolution (4M pixel)

Burst Speed SH: 40 frames/sec(4M)
H: 5 frames/sec
M: 3 frames/sec (with Live View)
L: 2 frames/sec (with Live View)

When using any of the burst modes on the GH1, you never got liveview. (e.g. You only saw the RESULT of the previous shot(s), not a "live" scene as in a DSLR.

In the GH2, you get liveview with 2 & 3 fps. This also means that it will PROBABLY be using AF at these speeds. (there is no documentation about this, so I might test this out!!)

The burst mode at 40fps is simply incredible!!!!! At first I didn't know what was going on, until I flicked back to the menu and realised it was on 40fps!!!

So to summarise:
If you need AF at burst speeds faster that 3fps, then use your 40D
If you need 40fps, but can prefocus, then use the GH2

shoturtle

the problem with a fast burst mode with the GH2 is still the evf refresh rate. You can shoot fast, but you are pretty much loosing your subject between shots.

Rudi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Is there general agreement that none of the current :43: cameras are really suitable for fast action/sports?

Yes.

I'm not talking pro sports or anything - just kids stuff? If not, what current bodies are considered adequate?

I'd get an entry-level DSLR plus lens with ultrasonic AF motor (different manufacturers have different nomenclature for these, but it's USM with Canon). Around the same price as a :43: outfit (camera plus lens), much more suited to what you're trying to capture.

And yes, you can shoot sports and kids even with a MF lens, but no, it's not ideal. :smile:

panystac

Mu-43 Regular
the problem with a fast burst mode with the GH2 is still the evf refresh rate. You can shoot fast, but you are pretty much loosing your subject between shots.

No, not exactly in practice. This implies you cannot follow a subject.

Yes, you lose the liveview between shots, but it shows the last shot you took.

I tried this with the GH2 in the 40fps mode, and once you get used to it, you can follow a subject by using the previous shot on the LCD/EVF, and following the subject ahead of the shot.

shoturtle

you are always base it one the previous shot, not live action. I tried it with the a55, and for really rapid thing it can cause a framing problem. It is better but still not the best tool.

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No, not exactly in practice. This implies you cannot follow a subject.

Yes, you lose the liveview between shots, but it shows the last shot you took.

I tried this with the GH2 in the 40fps mode, and once you get used to it, you can follow a subject by using the previous shot on the LCD/EVF, and following the subject ahead of the shot.
Without one in hand to try out, let me ask a potentially stupid question. On my G12, I can set the review time that shots display after being taken before switching back to live view and can even choose to have it not display at all. With burst mode on the GH2, can you similarly choose not to have it display each shot, so that you aren't basing it on the previous shot, but the live view? Or, is it simply due a delay in the refresh as each shot is taken?

Dunkeld

Mu-43 Regular
It's no contest I'm afraid. Like you, my E-P2 has become my camera for everything but sports. My Canon 30D and rapid fire burst action is the tool for this. I'm just talking athletics, cycling etc. But, really, there is no comparison in my view. The DSLR outguns the Oly.

panystac

Mu-43 Regular
Without one in hand to try out, let me ask a potentially stupid question. On my G12, I can set the review time that shots display after being taken before switching back to live view and can even choose to have it not display at all. With burst mode on the GH2, can you similarly choose not to have it display each shot, so that you aren't basing it on the previous shot, but the live view? Or, is it simply due a delay in the refresh as each shot is taken?

At 40 frames per second, you wouldn't even be able to see liveview!!!!! In order to see liveview @ 40fps, you would see each liveview frame for less than 0.025 sec.
Or to put another way, in order to sample and show the liveview, the sensor would need to open the shutter and not take a shot to capture the liveview, then close the shutter and open/close it to take the shot. You'd end up with a burst mode probably 20fps instead of 40fps.

In the end, I'd say that's why the burst mode with liveview is restricted to 2 & 3 fps.

shoturtle

And it is a much smaller file, and if you need to do any cropping it will fall apart quickly. While with a dslr, you get to track your shot, and get the full file size so you can do more with the shot.

ChristopheG

Mu-43 Regular
Some nice shots there, but not really showing what I am wondering about. I have grown used to (or maybe lazy) being able to fire off multi-shot bursts of fast action and get most of those shots in fairly sharp focus.

Latest threads

Top Bottom