mu-4/3s for fast action/sports

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by demiro, Nov 8, 2010.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Is there general agreement that none of the current :43: cameras are really suitable for fast action/sports? I'm not talking pro sports or anything - just kids stuff? If not, what current bodies are considered adequate?

Spec-wise it seems like the GH2 will be the first good sports shooter in :43: land. Fast AF; decent FPS; but I'm not sure about tracking action in the EVF. My baseline for comparison is what I'm currently using: a Canon 40D with a 55-250 f/4-5.6 for outdoor stuff and 85/1.8 for indoors.

I also have an E-PL1 with just a 14-42 for now. The Oly is fast becoming my camera for everthing but fast action. I'm thinking (always bad) that it would be great to replace the Canon with a :43: body and have a more efficient overall system.

I'm hoping some :43: users can share their experiences shooting fast action, especially if they have come from DSLRs more known for that type of photography.

Thanks!

2. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    My G1 is pretty dismal for tracking any kind of fast action. My SLTA33 is pretty good though.

3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    phase detect vs contrast base AF makes a huge difference. ;)

4. The EF-S 55-250mm lens doesn't have the fastest autofocus going around but on a 40D should still comfortably beat a :43: for autofocus speed. Put a similar focal length lens with a proper ring-type Ultrasonic motor (70-200m f4L IS comes to mind) on the Canon and you're in another league again.

This may be a bit contentious to say here but my rule is :43: for fun and portability, Canon DSLR for when I need everything just so.

5. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010

"just kids stuff" - well in that case, just look at Sports & Action Gallery

those what you'd consider fast kids stuff?

6. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Depends on how far you are from the action. If you pick carefully so that you're ALWAYS focusing at infinity, you can set it to manual focus, rotate to infinity, and then you're set. The focus speed will then not be a limiting factor.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You DO have the slowest combination of all the possible lenses and bodies. In decent light I haven't had any issues tracking the dogs or the Thunderbirds with the GF1 and 45-200 or 20/1.7

Have you done the firmware update?

8. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, I've had the 70-200/4 L - it is another level up from my current Canon set up, but honestly I found that I don't need it for what I shoot. Maybe that is one reason I'm thinking the GH2 might be able to replace the 40D.

9. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for that link - I missed that gallery completely. Some nice shots there, but not really showing what I am wondering about. I have grown used to (or maybe lazy) being able to fire off multi-shot bursts of fast action and get most of those shots in fairly sharp focus. I know many cameras can take good single action shots, especially if the photographer knows what they are doing. I'm after fast focus + burst + ability to track action.

10. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Yep, my firmware is up-to-date. And I'm not trying or expecting to shoot fast action with my E-PL1; I was really asking about the Panasonic side of things. I don't think that is the strength of any of the PENs.

Thanks.

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I shoot a canon dslr and the epl1, and with the 45-200 I can get some action shots depending on the distance and speed of the action. But it was not really meant for action shooting.

12. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The GH2 may boost a faster AF speed. But I you will notice a big difference if you shoot a burst. It is still not idea with the current evf refresh rates. I would not bury the canon quite so soon.

13. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    i think if you want burst, fast af etc just stick with the canon for those sorts of things...just when you are travelling (unless it's to a sporting event) i'm sure m4/3 would probably do the job well enough. does feel nice to have that quick autofocus though!

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't know what the times turn out to be, but trying a Gf1 and EPL1 side by side, the autofocus was ALOT faster on the panny

15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    was it with version 1.1 firmware on the epl-1, when you tried it out?

16. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    This is from another member that uses a epl-1 with the updated firmware. It focus pretty fast in regard to a gf1.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9K9JQdNuJ0]YouTube - E-PL1 zoomed focus box test[/ame]

And here is the thread that inspire the video, post 42
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/af-area-too-large-e-pl1-5541/index3.html

17. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Id agree that the G1 at least doesn't really cut it for action pics. Ive had a couple of half decent pics of motorcycle racing, but it was more luck than skill, and the deleted photo's to ones kept was very high.

18. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I find the Olympus E-P1 and Panasonic 45-200mm lens a totally useless combination for that type of subject matter. I find I get a lot of mis-focus shots if I try to rush the 45-200 and is best, if you know you cannot spend your time confirming accurate focus, to change to manual focus and pre-set the focus.

The LCD is also totally inept of panning, especially when shooting outdoors in bright light and on continuous mode where there is a lag between what you see and where you are.

19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I assume it was the initial firmware version. I doubt any cameras in stores a month or so ago had the newer firmware.

20. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Actually most shops demo has the originally firmware of 1.0, that is why there was such a big difference in AF speed. Because if it is at 1.1 then the gf1 and epl1 are very close in af speed. Especially when match up with the same lenses. Think you are working with info base on old data.