MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #32 (100 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Conrad, May 22, 2013.

1. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Challenge ending around Sunday, May 26, 2013 11:00 PM CET.

Link to raw:

Link to jpg:

Time for a landscape again. This is Buttermere (if I remember correctly) in the Lake District in England, taken in September 2010. The sun was even shining that day :wink:.

Have fun!

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Here's my first stab at it. I went with a color saturated look.

Here's a breakdown of my process (using LR5 beta):
    1. Cloned out overhanging leaves in upper edge of the frame
    2. Crop to place foreground boulder at a "rule of thirds" intersection
    3. Add graduated filter to upper 2/3 (approx.) of image
    4. Adjust overall exposure to extend histogram to both edges
    5. Using adjustment brush, add clarity and sharpness to mountains and to the foreground boulder
    6. Increase saturation of blue, aqua, yellow, orange and green channels
    7. Decrease luminance of blue channel to deepen the sky.
  3. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Here's my swipe at a monochrome treatment:

Mostly the same adjustments as the color version I posted above, then a pass through Nik SilverEfexPro for the monochrome conversion and the frame.
  4. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    My first attempt

Go wide
    <a href="" title="MU-43PPChallenge-31 by Mr.Kilawin, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="576" alt="MU-43PPChallenge-31"></a>

Great shot :thumbup:

• Crop to 16:9 and put the horizon in the middle
    • Minor contrast and Highlight recovery

• Low Key applied on the sky
    • Detail Extractor (25%) on the Water
    • Darken/Lighten Center
    • Pro contrast

• Reduce the brigthness of the sky and increase saturation
    • decrease the Blue channel on the mountain to reduce the fog.
  5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
  6. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Very nice original image Conrad.

Not much you can do after the above entries. Well done my fellow m43ers!!!

So I guess I'll go with a little retro look.

clone out
    16:9 crop
    homemade retro preset
    highlights down/shadows up
    contrast and clarity
    HSL blue shift(all)
    little more clarity
    slight warmer color balance
    export to flickr

And a Silver efex conversion of the above.
  7. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
  9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    And a black and white cropped to a square....

10. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Great image - makes me wish I was there right now!

First entry:
    Started with the basics in LR4, then added a graduated filter to add some pop to the sky. Added brushes on the rock, the trees, and a few spots in the water, and bumped up saturation and luminence on most of the colors. Cropped for composition, and added clarity.

2nd Entry - Same as above, but converted to Sepia, and then warmed up the white balance a bit:
  11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    uuuh... stuff... I just got so confused from flickr. I need a nap after trying to navigate that. Wow. I only use that to post stuff here, I don't need all the junk they just added in. anywaaaaays.

<a href="" title="20100903-mu43ppc32.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="467" alt="20100903-mu43ppc32.jpg"></a>
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Some great entries already, not sure I can do anything that'd improve on them! Here's a couple B&W processing entries with 2 different styles. I happen to be partial to monochrome landscapes and the color didn't add a whole lot to me, so I figured I'd go all in with the black and whites :smile:

Both cropped to the same 3:2 ratio to remove some of the foreground, place the rock a little further right and forward in the frame, and leave as much of the mountains as possible. Also cloned out the leaf edges in the center top of the frame.

First one, with Silver Efex:
    - Wet Rocks preset
    - removed the grain
    - bumped up brightness & structure
    - several control points to darken sky and the center mountain
    - control point to raise the brightness on the foreground rock
    PP Challenge #32 (Conrad) - B&amp;W by jloden, on Flickr

Second one, with LR and VSCO presets:
    - started with the Tri-X 400++ preset, modified to remove grain
    - increased clarity to +59
    - increased contrast
    - reduced black clipping
    - lifted shadows further
    - spot adjustments with tone curve to darken sky
    - adjustment brush to dodge the rock in the foreground
    - sharpen preset

PP Challenge #32 (Conrad) - B&amp;W by jloden, on Flickr
  13. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012

brushed in the sky

re distorted

spot healed
  14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I like this treatment, Rob. :thumbup: You always seem to nail the look I am trying for but never am quite able to achieve. Next time I'm in Bangkok, I'm going to look you up and force you to give me a Photoshop lesson or 12.

(Luckily for you, I'm not likely to get back to Thailand anytime soon :wink:)
  15. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
  16. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    2nd Entry BW

<a href="" title="MU-43PPChallenge-31_BW by Mr.Kilawin, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="MU-43PPChallenge-31_BW"></a>

Silver Efex
  17. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    1st Entry

by savvy249, on Flickr

In LR4.4
    Cropped to put the water line on the upper third and the foreground boulder at the intersection of two thirds.
    Made the WB a little warmer
    Pushed the Exposure up to +0.80
    Highlights -30
    Shadows +52
    Whites +36
    Blacks -45
    Clarity +50
    Vibrance +15

Gradient on the sky to darken and increase the contrast
    Pushed up the blue/aqua saturations and pulled down their luminosity

Over to GIMP
    Duplicated the image layer and blended this with the original layer to add more punch, and made a new copy of this.
    Made a greyscale conversion using GEGL c2g with slightly gritty settings
    Blended the "punch" layer with the greyscale layer in Colour mode to add some more definition and apparent structure.

Then spoiled it all by adding my border & frame :biggrin:

Export to JPG, no additional sharpening or NR.
  18. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    2nd Entry

by savvy249, on Flickr

This is the GIMP GEGL c2g greyscale conversion I used as one of the layers in my first entry, with the same border and frame added.
  19. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Great work sofar!

One day to go! I see some really nice interpretations, so keep them coming.

Don't think you cannot add anything anymore. There are a lot of subtle hues in the picture, but subtle differences can make a big difference!