1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #31 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by D MATIC, May 18, 2013.

1. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Challenge Ending Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:00 PM EST.

Link to RAW file: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7ypG0sMTutMSENTWE5OYmFCeFk/edit?usp=sharing

Link to JPG file: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7ypG0sMTutMT3FGa05WX2tERzg/edit?usp=sharing

Preview:
    View attachment 277960

=====
    Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

=====

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    [​IMG]

just wanted to keep the dark and cozy atmosphere

3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    going for b/w and sorta focused on laughing couple ... hope it worked :frown:

8754452503_00786f0f0a_b.jpg
    P1000908 by rhoydotp, on Flickr

4. graben

graben Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2013
    Chicago, Illinois
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    My take

All done in Aperture

recrop to 3x2 and a straighten, Then WB before B/W conversion and curves and mid contrast tweaks

P1000908.jpg

here are the Aperture settings
    Screen_Shot_2013-05-20_at_16_14_31.png

6. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  7. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    A
    Really nice! Potential winner? ?:)

8. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    I thought this stately dining hall cried out for a sepia treatment, but I didn't like it, so went with a Split Tone instead.

Entry1
    8769535828_06dae25082_b.jpg

MU-PP#31_DMatic-1LR
    by savvy249, on Flickr

All done in LR4.4
    Crop to 1:1 on what I thought was the more interesting portion - centre & right
    Brought the WB down a touch to 2850
    Exposure : +1.00
    Contrast : -16
    Highlights : -28
    Shadows : +100
    Whites : -19
    Blacks : -38
    Clarity : +50

Converted to B&W, and played around with the colour channels mix until I got the tone I wanted :-
    R : +73
    O: -14
    Y : +27
    G : +44
    A : -20
    B : -24
    P : +14
    M : +7

Then for the split-tone :-
    Orange for the Highlights at Saturation : 57, Teal for the Shadows at Saturation : 19.

Added a Vignette of Highlight Priority, Amount -49, all other values Default, to draw it into the centre.

Luminance NR of 50, Detail 50

Export to JPG with Sharpening for Screen

EDIT : Fixed the corrupt upload to Flickr & replaced the link.

9. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    2nd Entry

Mainly because I couldn't think what else to do with this, and because a lot of you hate borders and frames, I went for a big border & frame treatment of my 1st entry !! :biggrin: :biggrin:

8768509278_45d7520048_b.jpg

MU-PP#31_DMatic-1GMP
    by savvy249, on Flickr

Outer picture frame, cream matte, inner glass all done in GIMP.

10. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    thanks ... I wouldn't want to put pressure on D Matic. But I definitely wouldn't mind winning.= :drinks:

11. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Cropped to 4:5 and rotated. Dodging, burning, general adjustments (WB, highlights, etc.). Pretty strong NR (60%).

Especially a lot of attention to isolating the groups of people around the candles on the table by dodging, and burning the rest.

Triple smart sharpening: once radius 1 px, once 3 px, shrink to 1024 px wide, last 0.7 px.

P1000908_copy.jpg

12. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Original:
    View attachment 278768

3rd: daimos
    View attachment 278769
    Very nice. Liked the way the image was opened up but yet kept the warm feel.

2nd: savvy
    8769535828_06dae25082_b.jpg
    Usually I dont like split tones. But with the 1:1 crop I think youv'e open me up to them.

1st: Conrad
    P1000908_copy.jpg
    Just fantastic. NR reduction sharpening and the selective burning and dodging Just really made this much better then it originally was.

Thank you to everyone!

13. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Congrats to the top 3 - all are excellent choices. The PP on the overall winner is outstanding though - very impressive! :drinks:

14. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for picking my entry. It was a pleasure working with it. A lot more was actually happening in the picture than I thought at first glance.

For those interested in the noise reduction/sharpening combo that I used, a few more details. It's something I found when dealing with the same type of images (I own a GX-1 as well). In ACR, set sharpening to 0, and apply noise reduction quite aggressively on ISO1600 images (up to something like 50 or even 70 if you adjust exposure as well). This will give you a smooth, but rather low detail image. In Photoshop, as a last pp step, I apply the sharpening. Instead of using smart sharpen once with a strong setting (this will give you an unnatural look), apply it twice: once with a small radius (e.g. 1 px) followed by a larger radius (e.g. 3 px). Don't use strengths above 100. In this way you can enhance the details pretty strongly without getting the oversharpened look. This treatment is aimed at the full resolution picture and meant to optimize for printing. It does help, however, also towards reduction since you want to retain as much high frequency information as possible.

The third sharpening step is just a consequence of reduction of the image and is my standard when reducing any image (it's defined as an action with a keyboard shortcut). I reduce with a vanilla bicubic, and smart sharpen after that with a very small radius (0.7 px, strength 40). The default Photoshop "bicubic+sharpen (best for reduction)" sharpens rather ugly.

I'll post a new challenge in a few minutes.