MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #30 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by JLphoto, May 15, 2013.

1. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    Sorry for the late start on this one. . .

I have so many photos from various trips this year, but I decided on this one I have never edited of the Lincoln Tomb in Springfield, Illinois. It was a rainy, stormy day, and I can't wait to see what kinds of stuff you guys come up with!

Challenge Ending Friday, May 17, at approximately 9:00 PDT.

P4104001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    (Unprocessed raw to jpeg conversion from Lightroom)

Link to RAW file: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B91H3z4YqxV6RHZsNzN1YTlIOTg/edit?usp=sharing

Link to JPG file: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B91H3z4YqxV6QTVPLWJHSEI5U1E/edit?usp=sharing

=====
    Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

=====

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Not sure if I'm handling the attachment/image in the right way but I'll have a crack.

Loved the original image so kept my processing to a minimum - square crop (my fave form factor) and a touch of iPhoto pixie-dust.

Attached Files:

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well here's a color one. Will probably try and do a black and white version too.

pp301.

4. danxk

danxk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2010
    Spain
    A b&w version, trying to keep things fairly subtle

Edited using Color Efex Pro and LR

5. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Another fun shot to work on. I decided to go with two entries for this one. First one was done in LR4, started with the basics (WB, shadows/highlights both pulled toward the max, adjusted white and black points, added clarity and vibrance). Then I added a couple of brushes to bring out the sky, grass and building. Cropped to taste, and added vignette. Added the drop shadow frame in Picasa.

Second one is all of the above, plus added an "orton-ish" effect in Picasa.

P4104001-1a-X2.

P4104001-1orton-X2.

6. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Changed distorsion a bit
    cropped to 1:1
    add vignette
    plus some other nice things :)

[​IMG]

7. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  8. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  9. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    For something completely different to what I usually do. AKA, I was bored, not with the photo, just had time to mess round today.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/8741490541/" title="20130410-Mu-43ppchallenge30 as Smart Object-1.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr">"640" height="480" alt="20130410-Mu-43ppchallenge30 as Smart Object-1.jpg"></a>

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    lol, I had to stop with the brush strokes, THIS kind of proccessing NEEDS a Wacom tablet, my wrist was screaming.

11. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    LOL ... seriously, minus the brush strokes, I love what you did with the sky! :thumbup:

12. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Count me out of the competition since I don't want to find a hosting solution for a file but every now and then I can't resist playing with someone else's photo and this was a fun one.

I'm a sucker for tinkering with skies and aiming for a storm brooding effect, especially when I can get a bit of that anticipatory glow on the landscape that often accompanies the darkening sky. Both came up very nicely here.

P4104001.

Processed in LR starting with an auto adjustment in the Basic panel which I then tinkered with, a bit of clarity, curves to help darken the clouds along with a gradient filter dropping the exposure and highlights a bit more in the sky, then sharpening and a slight touch of noise reduction.

13. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/70084627@N07/8742041079/" title="P4104001 by Mr.Kilawin, on Flickr"> 8742041079_dc0246c772_b. "1024" height="683" alt="P4104001"></a>

Lightroom 4
    • Cropped to 4x6
    • Minor lens corrections

Nik Color Efex
    • Low Key for the dramatic sky
    • B/W conversion and Detail Extraction applied on the building
    • Brilliance/Warmth
    • Darken/Lighten Center

14. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
  15. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    I have one for graphic design and it has made my photographic editing experience like a dream! The perfectly great Wacom Bamboo's can be as low as $100 for a good size.

16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    So here's a black and white version.....

pp302.

17. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    My 2nd entry b/w

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/70084627@N07/8742566831/" title="P4104001-bw by Mr.Kilawin, on Flickr"> 8742566831_f30605699e_b. "1024" height="683" alt="P4104001-bw"></a>

Nik SilverFX

18. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Black and White!

jlphoto-pp30-01 by BAXTING, on Flickr

LR4+Topaz
    Cropped to 16 x 10
    Eliminate highlights, shadows
    Increase blacks, clarity
    Increase noise reduction
    Slight tone curve adjustments
    Import into Topaz
    Preset B+W & tone
    Decrease details
    White border added
    Done!

19. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    8743790599_3094ec152f_b.

LR.4.4
    Crop 1:1
    Brought the obelisk up straighter with some Vertical Perspective lens adjustment
    Lots of brushes on the sky at different parts for different effects
    Brushed the obelisk to get the colour & clarity

Moved to GIMP
    Added blur to the outer 2 statues and the trees/bushes, and to the sky.
    Duplicated the layer and blended it with soft light/overlay to add strength
    Created a gritty greyscale and blended it in Clour mode with the above layers to add grain to the sky & structure to the obelisk.

Exported with black border.

20. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012