MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #29 (100 Hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by jloden, May 8, 2013.

1. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Ok, sorry for the delay folks, had a crazy busy day so had to wait for tonight to go through and find a suitable RAW for this challenge. This is a file from an apple picking trip, and one I had for no particular reason just never gone and edited for a final version.

I liked some elements of the image but it's definitely one that is very flat SOOC and needs a good touch with PP to make it really come alive. For purposes of this challenge I did an edit of my own as a "baseline", and now I'm really interested to see what others come up with :2thumbs:

Here's the JPG as exported from LR 4.4 with no edits:

RAW File:

RAW File (zipped):

Full size JPG (Save As):

This challenge will end Sunday (2013-05-12) night at 10pm EST, with the winners announced shortly thereafter.

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 100-hours (we don't have to be strict about 100-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Sorry about the poor quality.

3. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Just reminded me... I've uploaded a full size JPG to the site and added it as a link also for anyone that doesn't want to or can't work with the RAW. Sorry, should have done that originally!
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I'm lazy I just right clicked the photo and worked with that :)
  5. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Per usual I have one entry in colour and another in B&W.

Both entries were cropped and straightened.

Since the rear wheel of the JD has been distorted by the Panny 7-14 I added -6 to distortion to make it look less "UWA'd".

Color treatment is per my usual high contrast, magenta shadow theme.

B&W treatment is your typical dramatic overcooked theme.

Thanks for having a good RAW to start with - always helps.

MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #29 by Drewbot 95, on Flickr

MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #29 by Drewbot 95, on Flickr
  6. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
  7. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Hi guys. I work with Olympus viewer 2 and GIMP. I realize that there is a JPEG for this one but I wanted to play with the exposure. What can I use to convert the RW2 or work with it. Thanks.
  8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I think your best bet is sticking with the full size JPG.

Only other thing I can think of is using Adobe Camer Raw's DNG Converter to convert the Raw to a DNG which you then might be able to open in GIMP if you have UFRaw. Maybe someone else will have a better idea though.
  9. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi There...

Colour & B&W entries from me. I was able to get more of of the RAW than I thought I would. That helped heaps.

Colour treatment includes a touch of everything. Contrast, highlights, shadows & whites. Lightened the cabin interior and a couple of other bits to bring out nice detail. I liked the lighting on the top of the crop.

Cropped & rounded the egg shaped wheel a little. I like the wheels and were drawn to them, so I tried to make them stand out somewhat, especially in the B&W.

Typically I'm not a big fan of fake noise or making my photo's look old, so my creative tastes for this photo may be conservative for some.

Thanks and enjoy.

<a href="" title="Challenge #29 1 by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="576" alt="Challenge #29 1"></a>

<a href="" title="Challenge #29 2 by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="576" alt="Challenge #29 2"></a>
  10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Gave it a John Deere makeover - enhancing the yellows and the greens.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    First one is in color!
    Mu43-PP29B by BAXTING, on Flickr

Lots of color to pull out of this one if wanted.

Cropped to 2x3
    Eliminated: highlights, shadows 90%
    Increase: blacks, clarity
    Color: Upped the blue saturation, vibrance and then darkened
    Brushed in some highlights over the bright cloud area
    Noise reduction 50%
    Increased exp +.25
    slight dark vignette

Second is bw
    Mu43-PP29A by BAXTING, on Flickr

LR4+Topaz Labz
    Same image with slight white vignette before importing as Tiff
    Used my personal preset for bw (Tone, border, etc)
    Pulled the sliders a bit towards the opposite direction to potentially lose some detail and help the image feel spacious/open after the crop.
    I like it! Great image to work on.

12. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Tried to make the Tractor "pop", so went for a more dramatic high contrast look with it set against a dark sky, to counteract the "flatness" of the original image.

by savvy249, on Flickr

All in LR4.4
    Highlights : -50
    Shadows : +50
    Whites : +27
    Blacks : +26
    Clarity : +40
    Vibrance : +30
    Tone Curve : Slight S-Curve to deepen the Blacks, highten the Highlights and add more contrast

HSL to deepen the blue in the sky and darken the grey in the clouds :-
    Saturation: Orange +77, Yellow +2, Aqua +7, Blue +71
    Luminance : Orange -65, Yellow -9, Aqua -3, Blue, -38

Graduated Filters :-
    Sky : Exposure -1.00, Contrast + 33, Clarity +29
    Foreground : Exposure +1.00

Adjustment Brushes :-
    On the yellow of the wheels : Temp 61, Exposure +1.00, Highlights +100, Shadows +65
    On the tractor (but not the tyres) : Exposure +1.00, Shadows +29, Clarity +15

Lens Corrections : Distortion -10, Vertical -15, Horizontal +15
    Rotate and Crop at 16:9 (I still liked the space to the right)

Noise Reduction : Luminance 60, Detail 50, Color 25, Detail 50
    Sharpening 25, Radius 1.2, Detail 25

Export to JPEG with Black Border
  13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
  14. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
  15. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Man, sometimes 2 entries just isn't enough !!

Excusing the obvious pun, but I had a field day with this image :biggrin:, I've processed 7 versions of it. I narrowed them down to a much more punchy version of of my original edit, and a gritty high contrast B&W version, for my second entry - decisions decisions.

Oh well, B&W it is ........ (now should I substitute the high punch one for my first entry, hmmmmm.........)

by savvy249, on Flickr

Took my original edit and used GIMP's GEGL c2g engine with parameters of Radius 300, Samples 15, Iterations 10 to convert to greyscale
  16. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Awesome, glad people are having fun with it. The scene is rather set in this one unlike say, a street scene with lots going on, but the color and texture give lots of options there :smile:

I can see this is going to be a tough one to judge already, haha!
  17. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Had fun playing with this as well. I know I could have came up with many many more versions.
    Exposure - +27
    Contrast - 29
    Highlights - -100
    Shadows - +100
    Whites - +44
    Blacks - -23
    Clarity - +100
    Vibrance - +42 To help bring back the color from the 100 in clarity.
    Saturation +10
    HSL tab
    Blue - +52
    Green - -15
    Blue - -19

Then sent it to Color Efex Pro 4 and finished it on the B&W I pushed up noise reduction Luminance to 55. On the color version I brought it up to 40.

<a href="" title="pp29-1 by woody112704, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="pp29-1"></a>

I originally wasn't going to do a B&W version but I messed with the solarization filter and really liked this one.

<a href="" title="pp29-2 by woody112704, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="pp29-2"></a>
  18. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    This was a really cool image to work on. Did all of my editing in LR4.

Started with white balance adjustment, then worked on highlights/shadows and white/black points. Added a gradient filter to bring out the sky a bit more, and a mask on the tractor to emphasize that a bit. Added clarity and vibrance, and pulled the saturation and luminance of the greens and blues slightly. Finally, added some vignetting. Added the frame in Picasa.

19. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    Waiting for harvest season

My first Entry
    <a href="" title="P1010378_ by Mr.Kilawin, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="641" alt="P1010378_"></a>
  20. zcd

zcd Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2013
    Alberta, Canada

I tried my hand at developing this one, focused mostly on the greens and blues and tweaking the exposure