1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #28 (100 Hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by BAXTING, May 4, 2013.

1. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Hello all! Here is the new challenge. This was taken with my G5 and Oly45 and is absolutely one of personal favs although the quality is not 100%. That being said, I have never settled on a final processed image and thought this would interesting to see what others come up with.

P1030245 (2) by BAXTING, on Flickr

Link to RW2: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6uMa1nQCWKOZFdzc0tkUnJnQ3c/edit?usp=sharing

This challenge will end Tuesday night at 11:59pm PST, with the winners announced on Wed evening the next day.

=====
    Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 100-hours (we don't have to be strict about 100-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

=====

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well I'll get the ball rolling....

A really good image for this competition. A wonderful image but a bit of a nightmare to process.

As Baxting pointed out it isnt the highest 'quality' image.

I decided to blur the whole image, add a mask and then bring back the areas I wanted to be reasonably sharp.

pp28.

I will have another go before Tuesday night.

3. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

The technical limitations of the photo made me choose the following process. In ACR, some pretty extensive dodging and burning, and a very high amount of noise suppression, no sharpening. Afterwards, DXO filmpack with an Agfa Ultracolor 100 profile, with full grain added. The added grain reintroduces noise in a way that masks the fact that the focus is off. After scaling a smart sharpen.

P10302452.

4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    2nd Entry

Here's the second one and a summary of what I did

1. Darken background
    2. Recover shadows on the boy's face (not much so as not to look unnatural)
    3. Adjusted contrast/saturation
    4. Cropped 16:9

8707542496_3dbbb7c6c5_b.
    P1030245_MU43PP28_BAXTING_1 by rhoydotp, on Flickr

6. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Great image!

Decided to go with a black & white and selective color look for this one. Did most of the work in Picasa this time, and did some touch up via brushes in LR4:

P1030245%20%282%29-2-XL.

7. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Here's my entry of Baxtings' image, I hope you like it. These are really challenging images, hard to be 100% satisfied with the outcome.

[​IMG]

- First a general standard touch-up in LR5
    - Then a gradient with desaturation in LR5
    - removed the highlight in top-middle background in PSE
    - removed the glare-like thingy above his left-arm (could be done better) in PSE
    - dodged the background selectively in PSE
    - reduced noise in PSE (a bit too much if I see the final result)
    - resized + sharpening + save-to-web in PSE

8. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I figured since we are on challenge #28 it was time for a curve ball. :cool:

Great entries so far everyone! I have come back to this image on several occasions myself so there is no need to rush if you need more time.

:thumbup:

9. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    here's my first go at it! this was a fun one!

did a bunch of tweaking to pretty much everything in lightroom. then exported to photoshop to get rid of the distracting dark part in the middle of the image. i also removed what i think was someone's nose creeping in lol. :happy-084:

8708612126_acd127ae26_b.
    Scientist of the Future by JStheoriginal, on Flickr

10. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Alright, so here are my 2 I had fun trying out different ways to process this picture and I really like how the color one turned out.

It was all done in PS with this technique I learned on google+ photo tips community. https://plus.google.com/102524061785706511116/posts/8Ai3XUP3KsS I didn't use the linear light blending option I changed it to darken and took the opacity down to 70%. Then I added another layer and just filled it in with black set it to overlay and opacity to 14%. Then for the second one I sent it into Silver Efex and tweaked it to get it the way I liked and then opened it up in LR to smooth it out a bit.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8708111539/" title="pp28 by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8708111539_8717516e1e_b. "1024" height="683" alt="pp28"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8708111397/" title="pp28bnw by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8708111397_0859d9d1ce_b. "1024" height="683" alt="pp28bnw"></a>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's one I played with in Color Efex and really liked the way it looked so I wanted to share it as well.
    (Not to be judged)
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8708111709/" title="pp28-1 by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8708111709_01936b1814_b. "1024" height="683" alt="pp28-1"></a>

11. graben

graben Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2013
    Chicago, Illinois
  12. dafloyd

dafloyd Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2013
    Munich, Germany
    Dirk Essl
    Ok, I'll play:

- changed WB to ca 4300
    - got rid of magenta cast
    - a bit of desaturation, but added vibrance
    - pulled highlights and shadows
    - pushed whites & blacks
    - desaturated blue & purple
    - lit up face with adjustment brush
    - lit up eye with additional adjustment brush and pushed saturation of eye
    - slight post-crop vignette with highlight priority
    - adjustment gradient in lower left corner to black out whatever there was
    - a bit tighter crop to 4:3
    - small lens correction
    - slight s-curve
    - some noise reduction
    - some sharpening to bring back details from noise reduction

[​IMG]

13. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    You can only enter two photos per the rules.

14. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    I know, that's why there is a line that is separating the 2 for the contest with (Not to be judged) above it, I just liked the way that one came out and wanted to share it.

15. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    This is a tough one... I think the original even with it's flaws (noise, slight motion blur) still has a lot going for it. Subject aside, the color and lighting is pretty much what makes the photo interesting. Given that, my usual method of going to B&W to hide noise and slightly blurred subjects seems to be detracting from part of the appeal.

I ended up with 3 versions, 2 in color (one with noise reduction, one without) and the other in B&W so or the interest of variety I'll post the color and monochrome versions.

8716581872_8233c9f693_c.
    PP Challenge #28 (BAXTING) - B&amp;W by jloden, on Flickr

8715443025_4c240284cc_c.
    PP Challenge #28 (BAXTING) - NR by jloden, on Flickr

My process in LightRoom is the tweaks listed below, then after that it was exported to Nik Dfine for noise reduction in the color version, and Nik Silver Efex in the case of B&W. My adjustments were pretty conservative... I was really aiming to keep the original look and feel while trying to address any distractions such as shadows on the face, blur, or noise.

Shadows +20
    Blacks +35
    Clarity +20
    Vibrance +35
    Saturation -20

Selective shadow lift on eye
    Iris Enhance on eye
    Selective Clarity on edges of face, eye, ear, hair

16. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Been away for a few days. Mmmmmm, as you say Baxting, this was a tough one for Challenge #28 :biggrin:

Main Objectives :-
    Get focus on the boy and remove any distractions from the wonder on his face at looking at the "magic"
    Get skintone looking right
    Get the sweatshirt back to it's original grey (I presume) colour

8716308793_b55eb93497_b.

P1030245_MU-43_PP#28_Baxting
    by savvy249, on Flickr

Wanted to get this late entry up quickly, so will detail the edits later once it's posted successfully.

In LR 4.4
    White Balance - Temp up to 8500 to remove much of the the Blue cast
    Contrast : -4

Highlights : -30
    Shadows : +100
    Whites : -38
    Blacks : -40
    To balance up the Histogram, then pull the Black point down slightly

Clarity : +40
    Vibrance : +15

HSL (All done with the TAT) :-
    Saturation : Orange -60, Yellow -10, Blue -42, Purple -17
    Luminance : Orange +18, Yellow +2, Blue +48, Purple +19

Local Adjustment Brushes :-
    On the eye to whiten it and leave the green reflection : Exposure +1.45, Contrast -100, Highlights +100, Noise -100
    On the overall head area to brighten it up, and desaturate the skin tone slightly : Exposure +1.00, Highlights +31, Shadows +31, Saturation -10, Noise 100
    On just the face skin to soften it up : Clarity -40, Sharpness -25, Noise 30
    On the skin below the ear by the hairline to remove the magenta cast introduced : Tint -19, Clarity -41, Saturation - 52
    On the Sweatshirt (not the red parts) to further remove the Blue : Saturation -90

Removed the nose of the person holding the child with the clone tool
    Cropped to remove the holding person's arm

Into Nik DFine for some overall Noise Reduction, and some more spot noise reduction on the face.

Exported to JPEG with no additional sharpening.

17. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
  18. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Thanks for the detailed description Les, I never even thought about desaturating the skin. Worked great.

19. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Ok get your last entries in if there are any. I'll set the end time at 11:30pm PST and announce the winner shortly after. Great job on this tough one so far!

20. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Winning!

And the results...!

2nd Runner up - Madtownkeith
    One of the creative entries that caught my eye. Very nice play on the colors/crop like this one a lot.
    P1030245%20%282%29-2-XL.

1st Runner up - Omek
    Another creative image I liked. It may be a bit much for some, but I totally get it and like it.
    [​IMG]

Winner! - jloden
    Wasn't looking to pick a black and white as a winner, but I really like what you have done here. The main reason I like it is because it seems the image's quality has improved overall and this was a pretty difficult image to begin with. Very happy with this one. :thumbup:

8716581872_8233c9f693_c.

Thanks everyone for contributing!

BB