MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #27 (100 Hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by madtownkeith, Apr 23, 2013.

1. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    OK, here's the photo I'd like to use for this week's challenge. I took this while in the Florida Keys a few weeks ago, and I've had a lot of fun pulling a good image out of this dark, blah looking photo. I think it presents some good challenges and opportunities. Gear used was the OMD-EM5 and the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye.

RAW:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23847003/Florida%20Keys%202013%20(OMD)%20-%20March%202013_0321.ORF

JPG:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23847003/Florida%20Keys%202013%20(OMD)%20-%20March%202013_0321-10.jpg

And here's what the unprocessed RAW looks like:
    Florida%20Keys%202013%20%28OMD%29%20-%20March%202013_0321-10-XL.

This challenge will end Monday evening, with the winners announced on Tuesday, April 30th.

=====
    Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 100-hours (we don't have to be strict about 100-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

=====

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Both entries are cropped 1:1 to remove elements in the left of the frame.

Photo was defished using custom Samyang 7.5 profiles for LR.

Horizon was straightened.

For colour, added warmth in the form of red.

For B&W, tried to accentuate the details in the sand.

I didn't want to try and bring out the top detail in the roof - it was too distracting for me.

Thanks for the good starting point.

8676199749_70464a9e72_b.
    MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #27 by Drewbot 95, on Flickr

8677307818_76de26c358_b.
    MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #27 by Drewbot 95, on Flickr

3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    1st entry

Workflow Summary
    1. Cropped/Straighten/Exposure Recovery/Spot Retouch on Aperture
    2. Adjust brightness/contrast/recover shadow/details on Viveza
    3. Apply Pro Contrast, Glow (on the sun) and Border on Color Efex

8677384498_304bbeb134_b.
    MU43_PP27_madtownkeith #1 by rhoydotp, on Flickr

4. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    2nd Entry

Workflow Summary
    1. Cropped/Straighten/Exposure Recovery/Spot Retouch on Aperture
    2. Apply Graduated Filter on the sky, Fog on the foreground, a little Glow on the whole photo and add Border on Color Efex

8677424652_26a3ecf37a_b.
    MU43_PP27_madtownkeith2 by rhoydotp, on Flickr

5. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Here's my first submission.

Workflow in Lightroom 5:
    straightened
    changed to 16x9 aspect ratio
    changed all basic sliders
    adjusted tone curve
    increased saturation on orange, yellow most, and slightly on aqua and blue
    reduced yellow luminance
    adjusted sharpening and noise reduction slightly
    added post-crop vignetting

8676334913_3614fb50df_b.
    Florida Keys 2013 (Processing Challenge) by JStheoriginal, on Flickr

6. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    First of all I want to say that I could come up with a ton of different ways to process this image and I love the fisheye look. Teasing the colors out of this was fun.

For the base image: Cropped and straightened it.
    Highlights: -100
    Shadows: +100
    Whites: +76
    Blacks: -40
    Clarity: +23
    Vibrance: +12
    Saturation: 0
    Sharpening Amount: 52
    Noise Reduction Luminance: 34
    Color: 34

A couple brushes with the tint at 19 in the blue parts of the sky to give it that purplish color and another 2 brushes with Temp at 20ish to bring out more orange.
    A couple graduated filters, one from the top.
    Tint:21
    Contrast:52
    Highlights: -38
    Clarity: 19
    Saturation: 17
    One from the bottom.
    Temp:23
    Exposure: .25
    Contrast:21
    Saturation: 29

Then for the first one I sent it to Color Efex and used Tonal Contrast Glamor Glow and then another shot of Tonal Contrast.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8677482692/" title="PP27 by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8677482692_6507ff1ab7_b. "1024" height="914" alt="PP27"></a>

With the 2nd one I sent it to Silver Efex and Tweaked it from neutral to get it to what I liked. (one of these days I'll remember to screenshot my settings when in the Nik programs)
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8677482326/" title="PP27-1 by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8677482326_b6fab7dd82_b. "1024" height="755" alt="PP27-1"></a>

7. Marine Paethor

Marine Paethor Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Oregon
    Donny
    Only my second edit ever in LR, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Not my entry but...

Not my entry but I thought some people might be interested in this comparison. I am of the view that Photo Ninja knocks the spots off Lightroom as a 'raw converter' and this photo shows one of Lightroom's weaknesses. If you raw convert this file you will tend to end up with problems with the sun - incidentally Rhoydotp has used Aperture and seems to have less problems.

Here is what happens in Lightroom (ACR) if you pull back the highlights.

sunset10.

You could use photoshop to further pull back the highlights but it rapidly gets messy. Now compare that to the default recovery in Photo Ninja.

sunset-2.

At this point someone turns around and says he likes Lightroom's version better - that is fine, it is purely subjective. However with PN I can quite easily make my conversion look like LR's. However in LR I cant make my conversion look like PN's.

9. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Hey Rob. The first thing I did on the initial import was to "fix" the sun by adjusting the exposure (under-exposing) and recovering the highlight a lot. I didn't push it all the way down as it may start to look unnatural. But like you said, it's all subjective.

Here's what the settings looked like from Aperture (image attached)

Attached Files:

10. yktay2

yktay2 Mu-43 Regular

11. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    My first-ever square crop

8677497253_b7af6e1fb2_c.

12. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    1st Entry
    ---------

Just tried a straightforward recovery of detail, in Lightroom, nothing fancy.

8680112935_5fd61c0dac_b.

MU-43_PP#27_madtownkeith_1a
    by savvy249, on Flickr

LR4.4
    -----
    De-Fished using Sigma 8mm Fisheye profile in Lens Correction
    Rotate to straighten the horizon, and so the resulting very slight crop.

Bring out the Orange/Yellow in the sky and emphasise the contrast.
    WB - Temp : 7500, Tint : +10
    Exposure : 0.00
    Contrast : +30

Fix the Histogram so Black & White points just touch, then Highlights & Shadows until the left & right triangles just show no clipping.
    Highlights : -61
    Shadows : +100
    Whites : +17
    Blacks : +24

Add more local contrast, I like the sharp look to the lines in the sand, then add some vibrance
    Clarity : +100
    Vibrance : +10

Tried to bring the blue sky down a bit without adding in an artificial gradient.
    Hue : Aqua +40, Blue +36
    Saturation : Aqua +100, Blue +100
    Luminance : Aqua -100, Blue -100, Orange -7, Yellow -9
    This didn't have much affect at all, the sky doesn't contain much blue/aqua, mainly Orange/Yellow when dragging the TAT, so ending up brushing in some blue/aqua instead.

NR - Luminance : 50, Detail : 50, Contrast : 0
    Sharpening - Luminance : 50, Radius : 1.0, Detail : 25

Export to JPEG

13. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    2nd Entry
    ---------

Tried something different with this one !!

8681271784_f96fe0a405_b.

MU-43_PP#27_madtownkeith_2
    by savvy249, on Flickr

Thought I'd see how much detail that an "HDR process" could get out of this image as opposed to using basic LR.

Took the basic RAW from LR, and created Virtual copies of the original (with no adjustments/edits at all apart from defishing), ending up with 8 images, then adjusted the exposure from -3.00EV to +4.00EV in 1EV steps.

Exported the 8 copies to Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 :-
    Left Tone Compression at 0%, Method Strength at 50%
    HDR Method - Depth : Strong, Detail : Accentuated, Drama : Natural
    Blacks : -20%
    Saved TIFF back to LR

Sent the TIFF to Nik Color Efex Pro 4 :-
    Indian Summer Filter, Method 3, Enhanced Foliage 50%
    Saved TIFF back to LR

Edit in GIMP 2.8.4
    Purely to do a small amount of brushing/healing on the white of the Sun.
    Save TIFF back to LR

Export to JPEG with my picture-postcard border & frame using LR/Mogrify2

14. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack

Challenge27Flare.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Processed in LR5 Beta. Enhanced the shadows contrast, exposure, WB, etc. and played with the curves and some brushing, plus a radial filter (one of the new features of LR5 where you can control the center of a vignette). Fixed the distortion slightly and cropped 16:9. Exported to the application LensFlares to enhance the sun.
    Great challenge photo to show the advantages of post processing and how flexible :43: cameras are with noise etc. :thumbup:

15. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    I made lots of small adjustments while trying to maintain a natural look, here's the list...

Apple Aperture:
    -RAW Fine Tuning adjustments
    -Curves

Nik Color Efex Pro 4:
    -Brilliance / Warmth
    -Pro Contrast
    -Slight Vignette

Nik Vivezia 2:
    -Saturation
    -Structure
    -Brightness
    -Structure
    -Curves tweek

Back in Aperture:
    -healing brush for the flare
    -exposure bump
    -tweeks to the red and yellow channels

[​IMG]

Here's my second attempt. This one involved lots of sliders in Aperture, Nik HDR Efex Pro 2, and Nik Vivezia:

[​IMG]

16. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Great to see all the different takes on this image - keep 'em coming!

17. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Lots of fun playing with this file, so many possibilities. I chose what I felt was natural to me.

mu-43-pp-challenge-27 by BAXTING, on Flickr

Some dodging and usage of the brush tool in LR4. Turned up the temperature a bit for that cozy feeling and slight rotate. Some final sharpening in CS5.

18. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    A rather late entry.
    Straightened horizon. Cropped to 3:2. Photoshop + Nik.

pp271.

19. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    And a B+W version....

pp272.