1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MU-4/3 Post Processing Challenge #12

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by madtownkeith, Feb 15, 2013.

1. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #12
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you tdekany for choosing my entry as the winner in the last challenge.

I'm finally ready to start the next challenge (sorry all for the delay). I haven't had a chance to shoot much the last few days, so I'm going with an image that I shot last weekend, and I hope it presents a few challenges for all of you.

I recently started to focus more efforts on learning and understanding post processing, and this was an image I took specifically to work on some things, so I'm very interested to see what this group can do with it.

Here's the unprocessed jpg:
    P2040047-XL.

This is one of our dogs, Benji, shot in low light (and ugly light at that!), so I thought it would provide an opportunity to work on a high ISO file, with some not so great white balance.

The RAW file is here:
    [*]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23847003/P2040047.ORF

The unprocessed JPEG is here:
    [*]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23847003/P2040047.jpg

[*]Winner shall be announced on or shortly after 9:00 am central, Wednesday, February 20.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries! Good luck!

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Link to Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules/Template
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like Like x 1
  2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Processed in PhotoNinja
    Many small adjustments in LR
    Touch up black bars in PS

D_1_of_2_.

D_2_of_2_.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX

P2040047 by Gubrz, on Flickr

uhhhhh
    i ran it thru silver efex pro, and slid stuff back n forth
    then took that into color efex, and added a few filters i forget the name of, other than the reflector one for addin some light to his bootay

oh, also brightened his left eye a tad

oh, one of the other ones was color stylizer

hmm, tried to make it private onflickr, but visible here, and i totally messed it up, lol

lets try a repost...

NOT MY PHOTO by Gubrz, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  4. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Toned for B+W in Camera Raw.
    Adjusted contrast, turned down the shadows a bit.
    added a bit of contrast and a slight vignette.

PP_12_staticantics.

• Like Like x 3
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    To be honest I feel the image is pretty decent to start off with, so my changes are fairly subtle.

I found the orangy/brown tag a little distracting, so I tried my luck cloning and healing it in LR. If you look closely you can probably tell this region has been manipulated.

Added some clarity in LR. Some dodge and burn brush strokes. Brushes in the eyes and nose. vignette added.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. fullbanani

fullbanani Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Berlin, GER
    cbm4ovlv3as78vtxa.
    removed red neckerchief, partial sharpening and softening, gradient filters, tonal adjustements, blue iris, whitened white of the eyes, some dodge and burn...

• Like Like x 4
  7. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Again a 4:5 :wink: crop down to the head. Color temperature dialed down to 2200 (was this dimmed Tungsten lighting?). Some dodging/burning to enhance the attention on the eyes. NR because of the high ISO (but I must admit the EM5 is impressive, now I long for the GH3 even more). Slight mart sharpen (40/0.7) after reduction to 1024 width.

P2040047_copy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Blues eyes? Bred with a husky?

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Benji's a beautiful dog. It was a pleasure working on your image. I like the composition. The lack of any variety of color and my uncertainty of the WB led me to a b/w conversion. Pretty straight forward and de-noised. Although the grain of the noise in the OMD is quite lovely, the large expanse of OOF area that shows the most noise distracted me away from the doggy's beautiful gaze. If I weren't so lazy, I would have just removed the noise from the OOF area with a layer mask. Instead, I de-noised the whole shot and lost some minute detail in the fur, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Benji b/w processing by Lukinosity, on Flickr

10. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Keith, great dog and great image to work on.

For me, it was a balancing act of dealing with the noise, and trying to sharpen it back up afterwards.

Also, being honest here, try as I might I couldn't clone or heal that red tag out to my satisfaction, I just wasn't happy with what it left behind; so no option but to cheat with a crop !!

1st Entry

8479265300_da85928a62_b.
    Mu-43_PP#12-1 by savvy249, on Flickr

In LR4 :-
    Reduce the WB temp a bit
    Blacks : -40
    Shadows : +30
    Clarity : +20
    Vibrance : +30

Into Nik DFine and lots of control points around the face to reduce the noise.
    Into Nik Sharpener Pro to try and recover the softness from the noise removal

Back to LR4
    Adjustment Brush to whiten the eyes
    Adjustment Brush to the nose from tip up to the bridge to try and get it a bit sharper
    Added a large black vignette
    Exported with LRMogrify2 plugin with basic sharpening for Screen and black border.

2nd Entry

Just changed the black vignette for a white one and removed the black border.

8478180205_25133154b0_b.
    Mu-43_PP#12-2 by savvy249, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  11. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    I went for a angry puppy look

-color balance
    -curves adjustment
    -sharpening
    -liquify and then lock it (*crop it) in a tighter space

8478318707_c3189d435a_b.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    P2040047_darktable_krita_gimp_resized.

Fixed WB to something dog-like.
    Fixed noise without loosing the hairs by suppressing almost only chroma noise, especially in the blue channel.
    Played with the exposure and zone tools to nicely expose the face.
    Dodged and burned the couch and body to emphasize the face.
    Cropped a little bit, putting the eyes on the diagonals.

• Like Like x 1
  13. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    first entry:
    b&w process with split toning applied, it looks b&w but it has some warm tones

Suishin-2040047-2.

second entry
    color process, basic adjustments nothing fancy

Suishin-2040047.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    Challenge_No_12_copy.

Basic LR4 adjustments

15. madtownkeith

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Great to see so many strong and varied entries so far. Just a reminder that the contest will end at 9:00 am Wednesday morning.

16. madtownkeith

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Challenge results

Thank you again to all who entered. Like others before me, I had a very hard time deciding on a winner. Just narrowing the field down to a top 3 is much harder than I expected, and I don't envy the winner having to do this for the next challenge.

On to the results:

Honorable Mention:

This one goes to Previz. When I first saw your entry, I couldn't help but smile. Benji can be a very sweet dog, and he's been a great companion. But, he certainly has an "angry puppy" side to him, so your decision to go with that look fits him quite well.

8478318707_c3189d435a_b.

Third Place:

Third place goes to NSD20463. I love the extra detail and clarity you brought out in the image, the exposure looks great, and the color is very accurate too. Overall, just a great job on the photo.

P2040047_darktable_krita_gimp_resized.

2nd Place:

2nd place goes to Luke. You ended up doing something very similar to what I did with this image (along with several others), which is to go with a b&w conversion. I like the clean, brighter look of your conversion. Well done!

First Place!

First place goes to Savvy. Congratulations! I just really like the drama of this version, and the way it draws you into the photo. I like the color/tone of it, and the added sharpness. The overall look and feel of it just works for me.

8479265300_da85928a62_b.

Thank you everyone for participating in the challenge!

• Like Like x 6
  17. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Well, thanks Keith, I never expected it at all with so many great entries, another fun challenge :thumbup:

Congrats to the other winners, too, well done!!

I'll have a think overnight, and find an image to post a new challenge tomorrow.

Rgds.

Les.

18. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Nice work by all, but it's easy when the original is so great. Give Benji some belly rubs for me, please.

19. madtownkeith

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Ha! Thanks Luke - will do.

Congrats again to everyone on a great challenge. Looking forward to seeing what Les has in store for us next...

20. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Congrats to the winners, savvy, lets see what you have for us next.