1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu 4/3 Challenge #9

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Just Jim, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    OK, here's one of my favorites from the summer project held last year.
    My interpretation is on My flickr page if you wonder where I went with it. I've revisited this one a few times now so the link to the pic in the Summer thread should be fried. I think it should be a fun little challenge. It's post storm light, shooting into the sun, I didn't have my GND in my bag for some reason, So I snagged the ony filter I had, a full 4 stop ND, and without a tripod, HDR wasn't really viable... so I hand held it over the lens snapped off a few shots hoping I'd get decent exposure values across the frame and well... Have fun!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/8427332991/" title="20120811-_1200740.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr">"640" height="480" alt="20120811-_1200740.jpg"></a>
    crap.. I have to go to look up how to put a file on here... Cool Google Drive.

..hmm uploading. Good thing I didn't go with a 5dii shot i was thinking of at 120 mb.

yup. still uploadin...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Ko_SfffrIeT3liMUdWSDVScW8/edit

OK! hopefully that works. It's a tiff, hope that works for everyone.

Oh, and I forgot, I'll choose a winner on... how's Friday night around 8pm eastern for everyone?
    **Template Start
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Draft v0.1

[Title Box] Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #nn [\Title Box] followed by :-
    BBCode Link to unprocessed JPEG image to display in-post so everyone can see what is on offer.

Any explanation or commentary the Challenger wants to give (optional)

Download link to RAW file (unless only JPEG available)

Download link to unprocessed Original size JPEG (so "non-RAW" PP'ers can still participate, and for JPEG Shooters)

Winner shall be announced on or shortly after the [Date/Time/Timezone]

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry)

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Template End

• Like Like x 6
  2. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    The original photo is terrific, and your edit is great. I tried to make it look like an entirely different picture, maybe a little tropical. All Lightroom, lots of near-maxing out on sliders.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/26500845@N08/8431956544/" title="PatrickVA_edit by kcirtap89, on Flickr">"600" height="800" alt="PatrickVA_edit"></a>

• Like Like x 5
  3. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    You may want to see if a Mod can change the title of this thread to "Mu 4/3 Post Processing Challenge #9" so it matches the past challenges. There may be a few folks not reading it because it looks different.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    +1 for the suggestion! I missed this entirely until now!

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Cropped to 3:2
    Resized to 1:1
    Cloned out boat, fine tune horizon, CS6
    Silver Efex 2

PP9_1_of_1_.

• Like Like x 4
  6. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    For the OP, go to your original post and click on "Edit" and then click on "Go Advanced" you should be able to change the title from there.

7. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley

m43-ppchallenge9-01 by BAXTING, on Flickr

Added some blue/green contrast, softened the sky and water, sharpened grass and pier/s, slight crop & rotate. Adobe CS5.

Uploaded to Flickr with credit to the author. I personally was not doing that before, but someone else mentioned it and I think it is absolutely right to credit author who is sharing their image with us if uploading to a personal account. Maybe we should add something to the rules going forward. Ok good, back to the contest. :smile:

BTW beautiful image Just Jim. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 4
  8. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    What a beautiful base image for this contest, and I love the entries so far. I'll have to sit this one out though due to work overload, but good luck to you all. I think this might be a tough one to judge :wink:

9. yktay2

yktay2 Mu-43 Regular

MU43_9.

Image cropped then softened.
    Partially warmed and slight adjustment with tone curve and green/blue saturation.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Just Jim

Oct 20, 2011
    D'oh... I didn't even notice that.

11. sge998

sge998 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Your base image is already very good to begin with. Processing your image was very fun indeed :)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/iccmecha/8434505868/" title="_1200740 by iceCreamMecha, on Flickr">"1024" height="1024" alt="_1200740"></a>

• Like Like x 3
  12. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    • Like Like x 1
  13. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    nighttime

As a nighttime moonlit photo

1200740_darktable_tif_04.

Done entirely using darktable: fix lots of spots (birds? dust?), tonal changes all over the place, shift colors for nighttime, vignette to hide the edges where some lost clouds were messing with the sky's composition.

Unfortunately the original tiff file was missing any EXIF info, which made correcting CA and distortions too difficult.

• Like Like x 2
  14. clockwise

clockwise Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    New York, NY
    Brian R
    This is sort of a rough-and-ready edit. Processed in ACR6, CS5, and Silver Efex Pro 2. Curves, dodging, and burning.

Mu43_PP_Challenge_9.

• Like Like x 2
  15. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Great image. Went for a fantasy feel.

1200740-Edit-2-2.

1200740-Edit-2.

• Like Like x 2
  16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Here's my interpretation. If I had the tools to do so, I'd like to clone out some of the more prominent flowers

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Just Jim

Oct 20, 2011
    Alright... we are officially closed on entries for this contest... Lucky for the late comers my wife and I went out last night till the weeeeee hours, so I was way to tired last night/this morning.

18. Just Jim

Oct 20, 2011
    Good job by all, in no way is this an easy image to work on especially in just a few days. As I'm sure everyone has noticed, dealing with the el cheapo ND that came with the holder I used in the shot leaves much to be desired when you start manipulating the image with it's different color cast. That said I'm definetly going to keep it around for its bizarre properties.

Seeing as it's my first time judging one of these, I'll follow JLodens lead from the last contest, including asking my wife.
    Oh, and I have no idea how to get the other images in this post... :redface:

Hon. Mention:

with tdekenay.
    Similiar in feel to patricks by creating a new tropical like color pallete. Fits for the scene, although it is in Saratoga NY which is just hilarious. However I do prefer the crop here over patricks as it enhances the composition, and some of the general refinements to the foreground. The crepuscular rays look good and really good work on the horizon line softening the edge of the ND filter.

Second:
    Hazwig

The wife and I liked this image, maybe this is a bit selfish, but it is very realistic of what the scene actually looked like. retains the elements I liked about the scene when I saw it with my eyes, like the lovely saturated greens up front and the sky just being awesome. Good Job

The Winnah:
    DTchan first image.
    Wow. Way out there interpertation. We both loved the colors. Personally I was amazed that the color balance of the warm colors, they are is almost perfectly following the golden spiral against the cool colors. It's just tough to beat such an intresting version of the Golden Spiral.

• Like Like x 3
  19. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    :thumbup: Congrats to all!

20. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks Jim!