Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park, BC, Canada

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jmacpix, Aug 28, 2010.

1. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Last week my wife and girls (5 & 7) and I hiked 85 kilometres (53 mils) plus into Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park in British Columbia, Canada. The park is only accessible by foot or helicopter and is named after 3,618 m (11,870 ft) Mt. Assiniboine. It's a magical place with stunning scenery. Here's a few images shot with my GF1 and a 14-45mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Cheers
    Jeff

• Like Like x 16
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Amazing - on all fronts, the hike (the length of the hike!) the fact that your two little girls made it all that way, too, and your glorious photographs!

Seriously, wonderful...but I have to ask about that squirrel???? A pet or a hitchhiker?

3. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Wish I have a chance to go there! I wish my dad was cool like this (he is cool in other ways though).

4. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Nice shots and probably even nicer trip.
    - You only used the tripod for the group/self portrait? (or did the squirrel take that picture for you...)

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Wonderful scenery nicely captured - great that you could make it a family memory too.

6. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Thanks everyone!

The squirrels are everywhere in the park. This one was exploring a duffel back belonging to one of the Assiniboine Lodge guests that was in a pile waiting to flown out by helicopter. We didn't stay in the lodge but camped in a tent. The squirrels around the lodge are used to people and will come right up to you and take food out of your hand or steal your lunch if your not careful.

• Like Like x 2
  7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I'd be working away at black and white interpretations of those shots, particularly the first one, many thanks for sharing those with us.

Barrie

8. BBW

Barrie, it would be nice to see that one in particular in black and white. The color version is so fantastic, I hadn't thought about it.

9. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    BBW, I can see an Ansel Adams type shot there.

Barrie

10. BBW

Yup, me too!

11. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    Hats off to you for lovely images, and also for motivating your family to undertake such an adventure. Last week, I had the hardest time convincing my wife and two girls to do a 2-mile hike in the forests of New Hampshire...and you guys did 53 miles!

• Like Like x 4
  12. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Here you go, hope you like them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Jeff

• Like Like x 8
  13. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for taking the time to make some black and whites from those, like them a lot.

Barrie

14. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

My pleasure. Should have thought of it myself!

Cheers
    Jeff

15. Pap

Pap Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2010
    Fleetwood, PA
    Very nice images! And the family image is great. Beautiful are without doubt. And the squirrel has to bring a smile to all!
    Pap

16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Very nice. I like the B&W even more than the color - leaves everything open to the imagination. Might even try #2 - its not quite as strong a composition as the two you converted already, but its got such a brilliant sky that a good B&W might really bring it out.

Regardless, what a trip! Thats a lot of hiking for the little ones. Good on you for doing it.

-Ray