1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MSI laptops...any good?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Rawfa, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    Hi gang,

I've been looking around for a new laptop for editing video and photos and I've bumped into some very interesting MSI models (12gb ram, 2 500gb sata hd at 7200, 1.5gb dedicated graphics card, hdmi,, full hd screen resolution) at some very competitive prices. The configuration and the price seem awesome and as a bonus most of them have a "special cooling" system that is supposed to be good (I've been having serious problems with my HP Pavillion in this field...it gets way too hot and it turns off by it self). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with MSI laptops.

cheers

Rafa

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mine is not a recent model nor a laptop per say... but I have a MSI Wind Netbook. Generally low priced and low quality build but I like mine. Its a Hackintosh that has survived several years of me working remotely from various locations. Its been upgraded to 2GB in memory and now sports a solid state hard drive... still chugging along.

3. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    my ex gf had one.. huge POS

4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Depends on the config. A cheap MSI notebook or netbook is ... well, a cheap laptop. If the configuration (processor, RAM, hard drive/SSD, and graphics) is good then it's just a matter of whether you like the look and feel of the laptop.

I suggest you Google search for MSI notebook reviews. On that note, the website Laptop Reviews - Notebook Reviews and Netbook Computer News & Reviews is a very good resource for finding a great laptop. The forums there are also very helpful.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Back when I was a Windows user, I briefly owned an MSI laptop. It was the second worst laptop I ever had. The Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo Mobile was THE worst one ever.

6. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    What was wrong with your MSI laptop?

7. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    1. Extremely flexible lid. I was always worried about damaging the screen.

2. Worst keyboard ever. Lots of flex, mushy feeling, awkward layout (with some keys being smaller than others).

3. Lots of small glitches. For example, if I put the laptop in the sleep mode and then awake it, it would completely lose both Wi-Fi and Ethernet adapters - they will not reappear even after reboot. The only way to get them back was to turn off the laptop, disconnect the battery and let it sit for a few minutes. I was not the only one with this problem - it was widely documented on forums.

I sold this laptop after 2 months of owning it and bought a nice ThinkPad. The price was the almost same, but it was FLAWLESS. After that I decided to never buy anything made by MSI again.

8. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I've owned an MSI GX 740 for 8 months now. I'm very satisfied with it.

MSI GX740-079US
    Intel i7 720QM 4GB
    500GB
    17IN WSXGA+
    Radeon HD5870 1Gb
    DVDRW Win 7 Premium Notebook.

The deal was good at the time =~ 1200$CAN.

From research I've read about notebooks, if you don't buy a premium laptop (=~ 1000$), it will be much more likely to fail.

1) Expect noisy fan unless you step down on the power setting, which you're unlikely to do for photo editing. Maybe a laptop with strong CPU and modest GPU would alleviate this issue. I don't know if photo editing tools make use of GPU.

2) In the case of my laptop, the LCD display is a piece of crap, but I don't mind as I always use an external monitor.

9. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I use laptops exclusively from the early 2000s. Together my wife and I have had about 20 different laptops, priced very differently - from $500 to $2000.

We've never experienced a single failure.

I'm also a tech journalist. I occasionally borrow laptops from different manufacturers to write about them.

Basically there are two kinds of laptops: pleasant and unpleasant.

MacBooks, ThinkPads, EliteBooks and premium-priced VAIOs are almost always pleasant.

Premium LGs, Samsungs, Acers and Fujitsus are fine, but their cheap laptops are unpleasant.

MSIs, in my opinion, are always unpleasant. The laptop I was so dissatisfied with was not cheap - it was about $1200, but it was about as crappy as it gets.

This may sound somewhat elitist, but you have to know the difference between pleasant and unpleasant to appreciate it.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    My brother has an MSI, I've not been impressed. It seems strictly average, and was sent out for repair within the first few months. When it comes to build quality, Macbook Pro and Thinkpad are far and away the best. I disagree with stratokaster's assessment of Vaio, as ours hasn't been particularly better than Dell or HP options. All a real pain.

11. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I can understand from your experience that you have found your MSI laptop(s) unpleasant, but I haven't had the same experience as you. I always put my laptop to sleep and it always recover without any problems (wifi, internet connection, etc).

For me a pleasant device is a device that does what I bought it for and does it, as you've put it, flawlessly. That's my experience with my MSI laptop, yet. No driver issues, no crash/instability/wifi issues...

I do agree with you that, if I experimented with several other laptops, I could realize there are more pleasant alternatives. But I had to make a choice, read around, made it and am ultimately satisfied.

Yes, a little bit, but maybe if you further explained your notion of pleasant and unpleasant based on your broader experience, it could help our friend make a better decision. :polling:

This laptop is only my 2nd one, so my pleasant/unpleasant dynamic range reference experience is indeed more limited than yours! :hail: