MP Supports Photographers Rights

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Graham_of_Rainham, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Graham_of_Rainham

Graham_of_Rainham Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Thanks , Graham, I will indeed send a message of gratitude to Austin.

It's good that the meeting proved so positive, but the best way of dealing with this issue would be to repeal Section 44 as it serves no useful purpose whatsoever.
  3. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    The end of last year the Police and PSCO in the whole of the UK where told the rules, and told not so S&S photographers under Section 44.

Their words mean nothing, its clear that the Police do as they please, and if you state your rights, they simply do you for obstruction or some other jumped up charge.

The problem is, that message just doesnt seem to be getting through, you only have to look at all the recent new reports on this.

Many photographers have defended the police actions with "give your details if you have nothing to hide", however what they fail to realise is giving your details as part of Section 44 labels you a suspect terrorist on the database. So no you shouldnt give your details, you dont have to, but it seems that UK citizens are scared of the police and just assume that they have to be hearded like lemmings.
  4. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010

Austin's initiative won't solve the problem but nevertheless it is welcome and it is only by keeping up the pressure, keep chipping away, that we will win.

As regards fearing the police, I don't. Good grief I pay their wages and expect good value and respect in return. At the moment I feel I am getting neither, so they'd better watch out - I've got a bone to pick with them at some stage unless they improve their act. :smile:
  5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    THE TIMING OF THIS SAYS NOTHING MORE than damage control,

a govt public relations stunt to thwart interest in the erosion of photographic freedoms
    that that the original timely article showcased.

anyway the govt has an interest in photography ,.... they've got a camera pointed at citizens at every corner

fascist scum
  6. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    That's not quite fair, Cosina. Austin Mitchell is himself an enthusiastic photographer who has campaigned for photographer's rights in the UK for many years. He is 100% genuine and deserves praise for using his influence to arrange this meeting. I have written myself to the Home Office and the Met Police on several occasions suggesting just such a meeting so that the issues could be firmly put to those that matter, but of course was I was totally ignored.

Now it won't be the end of the matter; we all know that, but the only way to win in this situation is to keep chipping away bit by bit until a groundswell of opinion finally forces change. It's a war of attrition in which we must be patient but firm and unyielding, staying true to our principles, having faith in our ability to ultimately win.

For now, well done Austin Mitchell, it's nothing more than a step in the right direction, but a significant step nonetheless. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Cosinaphile, I appreciate how strongly you feel... and to a degree I share your scepticism, but I know I can reach my local MP if I care to get off my backside and do something about it... it's easy to vent on a forum, but how many of us have actually contacted our MP personally to voice our protest?

It's just as much my fault as any politician I care to blame... apathy gets what apathy deserves... we're sleepwalking in the wrong direction.