Moving up, maybe...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    So for 4 years now I have been shooting with the Olympus epl-2 and 14-42 lens. Enjoy the camera very much, size and such. Have the VF-2 on it and like it also. So I have been thinking of getting either the em-5, ep-5 or the new em-10. I use the camera for hiking, travel and would like to try it out for concert photography that I do from time to time. The epl-2 has been on just about every hike for the last 4 years, in all kinds of weather, rain, wind, snow and it just keeps on working, so weather sealed is not a big concern for me. I know the em-10 is not out yet so not much on how it works in low light, but the em-5 and ep-5 look to be about the same in low light and just about every other spec.

So my question is to you that have used the em-5 or ep-5, what your thoughts are. I also may get the P14mm.

Your thoughts and comments please.

Randy

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I'm looking out for an upgrade too, but you might first want to try out a new lens. I was amazed in the difference when I got my first prime lenses for my E-PL2 (14mm and 20mm, then later the Olympus 45). It's like a whole different camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I would have encouraged you to get the sensor upgrade, but seeing that you've used only the kit lens for 4 (!!) years, I will echo what Neil said - try to invest in a better lens first. The Panasonic 20mm is a very good walk-around lens - I've had it almost since I start using an m43 (E-PL1) and up to now the thought of giving it up hasn't seriously crossed my mind. You can't go wrong with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Go for a lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Or...you could go for both : )

• Like Like x 2
  6. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Go for the lens, I too have the EPL2 and absolutely love it. I have the Sigma 19 and 30 (soon to have the Panasonic 25 or Oly 25 - still up in the air on that purchase) and those lenses are a most excellent combo on the EPL2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Randy,

The newer bodies, like the E-M10 provides the 3 axis IBIS (3 stops effectiveness as opposed to the 1.5 stops of the older 2 axis IBIS and the 3 stops high noise performance, which in effect gives you a 6 stops advantage when stopping in low light. You did mention you want to shoot concerts if you continue to shoot with your kit lens. Which 14-42 do you have? If you have the 40.5mm filter ring version, then you have the Mark I or the Mark II with the smaller filter ring size. The Mark I for which I have is SLIGHTLY less sharp compared to the P14mm. The P14mm isn't a particularly sharp lens, when you are comparing a true prime lens like the 25mm or the 45mm versions from Olympus. I was also told that the 12-50mm kit lens from the E-M5 is sharper at the 12mm and 14mm compared to the 14-42 Mark I. So in a way, you are basically gaining about 1/2 a stop if you go the P14mm prime and probably not much gain in terms of optical performance against your 14-42mm Mark I kit lens. My Mark I kit lens is sharp @14mm after it's gone through DXO Optics Pro 9 automatic correction. It's so hard to tell against my Coolpix A which has a 28mm f/2.8 prime lens which is super sharp and I don't pixel peep nor do bill board sky rise blow ups like a lot of those measurebators seemed to be fixated about.

So in hindsight, your best course of action would probably be a body upgrade to get better low light performance. The E-M10 possesses the E-M1 Truepic 7 imaging processing sensor and according to Robert Wong does provide better picture output than the older E-M5. I certainly wouldn't doubt that, since the E-M5 is a 2 year old camera and the E-M10 is new.

The E-M10 takes the "SAME" battery as the E-PL2 and my E-PL1, the BLS-5 and the BLS-1, so if you already have a significant spare battery investment, go with the E-M10. By the way, I also shoot for 4 years with my E-PL1 with the kit lens too. I also use the PL 25mm for street and waist up portraits.

I'm actually planning to upgrade to the E-M10. I need better high noise performance as well as the new IBIS to shoot low light and current kit lens seemed to be good enough for me to do the job.

• Like Like x 1
  8. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I agree - though don't have the experience with any of the possible cameras you mention - that a body upgrade from the E-PL2 will give you better IS and noise reduction just because of the technical improvements over yo your older body. And I would like to put a vote in for the 17mm, f/2.8 pancake, both for its compactness and reasonably good image quality for its low price. It is an unappreciated lens in my opinion. I am really enjoying it as an alternative to my kit lens on my Olympus PEN E-PL5.

9. I recently upgraded from EPL2 to EM5. For me, it was well worthwhile. Built-in EVF, much better stabilization, two control wheels on the top, rather than one fiddly one on the back, lower noise at higher ISO, etc. I bought a refurb from Cameta, but if I was doing it now I would go for the EM10.

10. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    why not buy a used E-M5 ;-)

11. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I have used the EPL1 for 3 years, and I would suggest getting some fast primes first.

Actually, look out for second hand EM5, some are really well priced. The difference in a newer body like the EM5 and EPL2 is significant in my opinion.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.