Moving up, maybe...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    So for 4 years now I have been shooting with the Olympus epl-2 and 14-42 lens. Enjoy the camera very much, size and such. Have the VF-2 on it and like it also. So I have been thinking of getting either the em-5, ep-5 or the new em-10. I use the camera for hiking, travel and would like to try it out for concert photography that I do from time to time. The epl-2 has been on just about every hike for the last 4 years, in all kinds of weather, rain, wind, snow and it just keeps on working, so weather sealed is not a big concern for me. I know the em-10 is not out yet so not much on how it works in low light, but the em-5 and ep-5 look to be about the same in low light and just about every other spec.

So my question is to you that have used the em-5 or ep-5, what your thoughts are. I also may get the P14mm.

Your thoughts and comments please.

Randy

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I'm looking out for an upgrade too, but you might first want to try out a new lens. I was amazed in the difference when I got my first prime lenses for my E-PL2 (14mm and 20mm, then later the Olympus 45). It's like a whole different camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I would have encouraged you to get the sensor upgrade, but seeing that you've used only the kit lens for 4 (!!) years, I will echo what Neil said - try to invest in a better lens first. The Panasonic 20mm is a very good walk-around lens - I've had it almost since I start using an m43 (E-PL1) and up to now the thought of giving it up hasn't seriously crossed my mind. You can't go wrong with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Go for a lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Or...you could go for both : )

• Like Like x 2
  6. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Go for the lens, I too have the EPL2 and absolutely love it. I have the Sigma 19 and 30 (soon to have the Panasonic 25 or Oly 25 - still up in the air on that purchase) and those lenses are a most excellent combo on the EPL2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Randy,

The newer bodies, like the E-M10 provides the 3 axis IBIS (3 stops effectiveness as opposed to the 1.5 stops of the older 2 axis IBIS and the 3 stops high noise performance, which in effect gives you a 6 stops advantage when stopping in low light. You did mention you want to shoot concerts if you continue to shoot with your kit lens. Which 14-42 do you have? If you have the 40.5mm filter ring version, then you have the Mark I or the Mark II with the smaller filter ring size. The Mark I for which I have is SLIGHTLY less sharp compared to the P14mm. The P14mm isn't a particularly sharp lens, when you are comparing a true prime lens like the 25mm or the 45mm versions from Olympus. I was also told that the 12-50mm kit lens from the E-M5 is sharper at the 12mm and 14mm compared to the 14-42 Mark I. So in a way, you are basically gaining about 1/2 a stop if you go the P14mm prime and probably not much gain in terms of optical performance against your 14-42mm Mark I kit lens. My Mark I kit lens is sharp @14mm after it's gone through DXO Optics Pro 9 automatic correction. It's so hard to tell against my Coolpix A which has a 28mm f/2.8 prime lens which is super sharp and I don't pixel peep nor do bill board sky rise blow ups like a lot of those measurebators seemed to be fixated about.

So in hindsight, your best course of action would probably be a body upgrade to get better low light performance. The E-M10 possesses the E-M1 Truepic 7 imaging processing sensor and according to Robert Wong does provide better picture output than the older E-M5. I certainly wouldn't doubt that, since the E-M5 is a 2 year old camera and the E-M10 is new.

The E-M10 takes the "SAME" battery as the E-PL2 and my E-PL1, the BLS-5 and the BLS-1, so if you already have a significant spare battery investment, go with the E-M10. By the way, I also shoot for 4 years with my E-PL1 with the kit lens too. I also use the PL 25mm for street and waist up portraits.

I'm actually planning to upgrade to the E-M10. I need better high noise performance as well as the new IBIS to shoot low light and current kit lens seemed to be good enough for me to do the job.

• Like Like x 1
  8. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I agree - though don't have the experience with any of the possible cameras you mention - that a body upgrade from the E-PL2 will give you better IS and noise reduction just because of the technical improvements over yo your older body. And I would like to put a vote in for the 17mm, f/2.8 pancake, both for its compactness and reasonably good image quality for its low price. It is an unappreciated lens in my opinion. I am really enjoying it as an alternative to my kit lens on my Olympus PEN E-PL5.

9. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I recently upgraded from EPL2 to EM5. For me, it was well worthwhile. Built-in EVF, much better stabilization, two control wheels on the top, rather than one fiddly one on the back, lower noise at higher ISO, etc. I bought a refurb from Cameta, but if I was doing it now I would go for the EM10.

10. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    why not buy a used E-M5 ;-)

11. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I have used the EPL1 for 3 years, and I would suggest getting some fast primes first.

Actually, look out for second hand EM5, some are really well priced. The difference in a newer body like the EM5 and EPL2 is significant in my opinion.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2