1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Moving up from GH2?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pana-animalartist, Jun 18, 2015.

1. pana-animalartist

pana-animalartist Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2011
    Northeast USA
    I just bought a Panasonic FZ1000. Not very happy with it. Will probably return it. Have Panny GH2 with 100-300 and 14-140 lenses. Looking for a new body (yes, I could use one in many senses....developed pretty severe arthritis and am having trouble carrying my Canon 1D MK IV with 400 5.6 lens-my go-to bird camera). Did a comparison series and of course the iDIV is pretty superior in some ways, but the GH2 with 100-300 beat it on a long zoom of some ducks hidden in weeds.
    So...thinking about either GH3 or Oly OMD-EM1. I am not familiar with Olympus cameras, so I suspect a steep learning curve is in order if I go that route.

Price-wise, don't want to go much over 1K, and also have concerns about lens compatibility with the newer OLY...or even the EM1. I won't even consider a GH4 until I hear that there is no longer a problem with the flash burning up. It is also very expensive-would probably wait for a newer version in a few years....). GH3 is going for a good price right now.

My main focus has been birds. And I need a lot less weight than the 5 lbs that I carry with my Canon set-up.

Thanks for any thoughts on this-especially what works best with the Panny 100-300, as I can't afford any new lenses.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What improvements over your GH2 are you expecting or wishing for? That might help recommend a solution.

Do you shoot much video?

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am impressed with G7 for $800.00 w/ 14-42 kit lens. I looks like a bargain if you don't need everything that the GH4 has to offer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I wouldn't worry about the learning curve from Panasonic to Olympus. I had the GH series first and bought a refurb E-M1 in November to see what all the fuss was about. My intention was to eBay it if I didn't like it because the refurb price (basically an as-new camera with warranty!) was less than the used prices on eBay at the time.

All I did was sit with the camera and user manual together for a couple of sessions and the E-M1 became like second nature. I now pick it up in preference to the GH4 for photos with the exception of when I'm using the Lumix 7-14 F4 because that flares less on the GH than it does on the E-M1.

The main reason I like the E-M1 is the IBIS (seems to work better than in-lens IS) and the ease of changing focus points compared to the GH series. However, if you said to me that I could only ever shoot the GH4 then I'd be happy doing so again.

It's a personal choice, but I never liked the GX7 because of the ergonomics. They just didn't suit me but clearly others love them, which totally justifies manufacturers making so many different models.

The one thing you will notice moving from GH2 to GH3 is the size difference. The GH3 is bigger, whereas the E-M1 is not quite so big.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    G7 has the new DFD auto focus that should be a big improvement for Pana lenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  7. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    I think I saw the EM1 on ebay with full warranty from Canada for 780 these days or imported from Korea/Japan for the same money.

Are there any tests between Olympus and Panasonic and their focus speed? I am hearing more and more about DFD, but I am curious if it is noticeably faster than Olympus cameras.

8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  9. pana-animalartist

Jan 17, 2011
    Northeast USA
    Hi

I am mostly looking for faster auto-focus and more FPS, given that bird photography is my preferred mode. I do a little video, but that I can get with the GH2 quite nicely . And compatability with my current Panasonic lenses. I think someome mentioned that the OLY E-M52, for instance, might not work so well with my 100-300. Not sure why....

10. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Yup! Typos seem to be my world today! I fixed it in the original post - thanks!

11. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have the GH2 and 100-300, and compared to the Canon 400/5.6L (which I also have), it's not near the same class. Have you tried a Rebel T6s instead? A much lighter body compared to the 1D, but you'll have the same reach with the 400/5.6 compared to the GH2 + 100-300, way sharper and much better AF.

For lightweight, speed and IQ with good reach for birding, I would suggest you look at the Nikon 1 system instead. Very fast AF, lightweight, good IQ with the 70-300, blazing fps but you'll be looking at about $2000-.

12. pana-animalartist

Jan 17, 2011
    Northeast USA
    How would you compare GH3 to GH4 other than size? Is it a considerable upgrade? Are you concerned about the flash melt-down? I have had horrendous experiences with Panasonic service, not to mention they don't seem to be able to fix this problem.

13. pana-animalartist

Jan 17, 2011
    Northeast USA
    Thanks for those thoughts. Not quite ready to totally change systems to Nikon. Have considered the Canon 7DII-would lose 1/2 pound and would prefer it's pro qualities and faster everything to a Rebel. But it's still not *really* lightweight. Sigh. I know GH2 can't match my Canon set-up-just looking to come a little closer. Might just have to cut way back on birds, as there is a lot of back and neck stress pointing up high in the trees.

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Is it possible to use a tripod or monopod and the articulated viewfinder to point it up at the trees without having to crane your neck to look through the EVF? I know it would take some getting used to, and you wouldn't have the extra point of contact for stability, but that might be worthwhile.

For the record, my vote is for the G7. Most of the good stuff of the GH4 at half the price. Unless you really need the pro body and weather sealing (though the 100-300 doesn't have it), in which case the GH3 would be the best option.

15. pana-animalartist

Jan 17, 2011
    Northeast USA
    Hmm- probably don't need the weather sealing. Good idea about the tripod.....except carrying it would add to the weight burden. I do have a nice monopod-could experiment at home with it. I find it much harder to get a look at a distant bird with the LCD-would perhaps take a bit of practise.....

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    OP - here is a video review of the G7.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think you should go for the new G7 : same nice grip as your choices but the very latest in focus technology which may just pip your other choices for birds and will suit your lens well.
    Your could really use a nice mid-range prime just for fun ... to really flesh out your setup.

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I just received an email from B&H, the G7 is now in stock.

19. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I recall reading somewhere that the P100-300 doesn't work with the DFD focusing technology and also that it is limited in use with C-AF. I have no idea why that would be (slow focusing motor?, slow aperture mechanism?), but it seems that if your primary concern is speed of AF, then perhaps your issues lie more with the lens than the camera.

Of course, at the long end your options are a bit limited with the system. I'm not sure whether the Olympus 75-300 performs any better than the P100-300 in terms of AF, but obviously it lacks the built-in OIS and as such perhaps is more suited to use with Oly bodies (unless you shoot primarily or exclusively on a tripod).

Sorry, I don't really have any answers for you, just thought I'd share my two cents.

20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I've never heard that. That would be an interesting caveat, since the DFD doesn't actually speed up the focussing, but speeds up the efficiency of the focussing - that is, it prevents the lens from hunting as much since it knows where it needs to go.

Do you know where you read about the 100-300 not supporting DFD? I'm particularly curious since I'm currently strongly considering getting a used 100-300, so some forwards compatibility would be appreciated...

DFD already works with the notorious 20mm/1.7, so I'd be shocked if it didn't work with the telezoom.