Moving Thunderbird Email Files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carbonman, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I had a problem with my computer and took it in for service. They added a higher resolution video card and installed a new 1TB SSD to be used as a partitioned C/D drives arrangement. My old C drive is still in the computer with all the original files on it. How can I move 4 Thunderbird accounts from the old drive to the new Thunderbird C drive accounts so I can see the address book and the old emails in the new Thunderbird?

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
  3. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    It's a bit more complicated. Find the old profile and copy it to the new C drive. Rename the current profile in the new C: to .bak and then rename the profile from the old drive to the same name as the profile you just renamed. Does that make sense?

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    That will work, too. The renaming serves the same purpose as repointing t'bird to the new profile.

5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Firstly in file explorer you need to turn on "view hidden items". The profile is located in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles as a folder with some random assortment of characters such as "xyzd3re.default" and the one on your old drive will be in the same location but have a different name. What I usually do is just copy all the contents of the old folder to the new folder, overwriting files. Saves having to rename the folder.

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    This is driving me crazy. I renamed the profile on the new C drive to ivy7xrb0.default.bak and Thunderbird won't open. I deleted the .bak and it opens.
    Guess I'm going to have to get a technician to have a look at it. There are some other less pressing issues to be dealt with as well. Thanks for your input and recommendations.
    At least everything is now displayed in 250x1440 resolution and looks great.

7. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Renaming to .bak is correct. (I rename to .bak rather than overwrite as a fall-back in case things go south)
    Now copy the profile from the old drive and rename it ivy7xrb0.default
    Thunderbird now uses this profile with all of your old stuff.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  8. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I took the computer in again on Monday and got it back Tuesday. Nic, the tech was very understanding and moved me to the front of the queue since I had a recent service ticket. All the email files are restored and the other changes were looked after.
    I had a great talk about my next machine and will get started on NCIX building it next spring. It's going to be a brute in terms of speed and backup. I'm also going to probably go to gmail so it doesn't matter what device I look at emails on or send from, plus have my email addresses always available, regardless of computer issues.
    Next is a new phone, probably a Blackberry Priv when it hits the market.
    The steep learning curve never seems to flatten!