Moving slowwwwly to M4/3 for my weddings.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by azmerm, May 4, 2015.

1. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Phoenix
    Alan Mermelstein
    Over the past year I have been moving very slowly towards M4/3 in my wedding photography. I tend to use M4/3 for getting ready and pre-ceremony pics. I like the sharpness and tone as well as the weight. Here are some examples. But once the reception lights go down I do still use my Nikon D750 and D610 for faster focus in low light. I am using C1 to develop raw and sharpen in post using Nik.

The examples are EM10 and Oly 25mm 1.8 with macro adapter 02, then EM1s with Panasonic 35-100mm and 12-35mm.
    p0019. p0071. p0077. p0165. p0170.

• Like Like x 6
  2. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Nice shots. I actually prefer a good MF prime when the lights get low, as I usually end up fairly accurate ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Beautiful shots! Really like the last one in B&W.

I am thinking of doing exactly what you are into right now....

I do mostly Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and family portraits. I also use D750s now after moving over from D700s and lots of 1.8 and 2.8 glass.

For personal, though, I'm completely m4/3 now for weight reasons, video and completely love the system.

However, the low light focusing, high-iso performance and the unbelievable megapixel detail/ability to crop keep me from moving at the moment. I think the Nikon gear is more heavy-duty build for beating up things, though haven't pressed my Oly stuff to be honest. Big flash capability actually might be the biggest issue for me.

Are you using FL-600r's for flash? I use Q-flash on my Nikon gear and radio control to Einsteins. The Q-flashes are critical to my work as they give me portablity in the field, battery pack driven, quick recycle times, can't burn them out and I love the Q-TTL control with the Nikon system. What's your take?

4. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I gave up all my manual Nikon glass as I couldn't focus accurately any longer. My parties are moving so quickly that I can't imagine working without autofocus. I even changed focusing screens in one of my Nikons a while back to get more of the old style split screen for manual focus..... didn't help me.

How do you do it?

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Posts #1 and #3 both mention keeping the Nikons for low light focusing, but my GX7 can AF in -4 EV, darker than any Nikon? [emoji41]

6. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Phoenix
    Alan Mermelstein
    For reception low light (or church processions) I'm using 28/35/50mm 1.8 lenses with D750/D610 combo. The flashes are Metz 64 with Qflash off camera triggers by Phottix Strato IIs. When I want off camera flash with M4/3 I'm also using Phottix but the trigger is the Canon version.

I use the Metz flash because I have both Oly and Nikon versions and I don't have to swap out battery cables to my Godox Propac waist mounted battery. Very fast recycle and cheaper than SB910. Got a set off Amazon.

7. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Phoenix
    Alan Mermelstein
    The EM1s will eventually focus in reception low light but not as fast as full frame Nikons. Big flash mounted focus assist really helps Nikon/Canon more than the little camera assist of the EM1.

The real difference is that during a wedding reception dance suddenly an awesome expression happens and has to be captured fast! -4EV is only great if it can happen without racking or delay.

Alan

8. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    GX7 easily beats EM1 in really dim conditions, though. Now you can let the Nikons go. [emoji4]

• Like Like x 1
  9. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Phoenix
    Alan Mermelstein
    I'll have to try renting one... that would be great! Have you used the GX7 for low light wedding reception dancing? I'd love to see a pic!

10. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    With m43, do you think the Panasonic 15 1.7, and 42.5 1.2 could replace you FF kit (you already have the Oly 25) and give you comparable performance? I would think the low light AF would suffice in most cases, but, it is always when it doesn't perform you wonder if the other kit would.

You may need to shoot both side by side for an evening, with similar lenses (rent a couple of m43 primes) and just compare AF speed and the corresponding files ... Difficult because you don't want to miss shots, but I'm sure you can find a way ....

11. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    With a DSLR? I don't :) With an EVF camera -- usually you can set your JPEG settings to super-high sharpness and if those settings are reflected in the EVF, then that sharpness serves as a "focus peaking" without actually being peaking (which I hate). Once you see the "shimmer" then you've got your focus. EVF light amplification also helps greatly so that it's easier to see your subject. IMO, good EVF beats a good OVF when the lights get low because of this amplification.

Takes practice, isn't 100%, but I've become fairly good at it--and a tiny misfocus is just skin softening without post! :) . Of course, this takes a nice MF lens suitable for the type of MF action you need.
    For instance, Zeiss macro 100/2 is an awesome lens, but its focus throw is so short at the ~2m-infinity range that it's very unsuitable for fast/distance work.

Also like TN Args says, GX7 cameras tend to be a bit quicker in lower light than Olympus, so that might be an option.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Phoenix
    Alan Mermelstein
    I actually have both of those. The 15mm missed a lot when the light got low and DJ lights fired up. Just got the Nocticron and have started testing.

13. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    You've got great gear, the GX7 comments are interesting

14. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Never thought about evf vs ovf like that but you are so spot on. I'm good with the skin softening trick! Now if I can just work on my correct head tilt with my new progressives, I might be able to even tell when the autofocus locks!... Seriously going to look at this though... Thank you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    GH4 has the same ability, on paper, I have never tried one.

Also no wedding shots to help you out, I'm afraid. :shakehead:

16. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Phoenix
    Alan Mermelstein
    I've been shooting weddings full time for 15 years, and love to always try out the latest! As I'm getting older (as in social security eligible LOL), I'm trying new m4/3's tech. I tried out the 15mm 1.7, but it wouldn't focus fast enough so I had to use MF which was hit and miss for me. By the way, the distortion is huge on the 15mm before correction.

Attached Files:

17. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I definitely agree that the GX7 has good low light AF although they've seemed to have improved it with newer models since then.

I've had it not focus at all with an ND filter on and when it's TOO dark but they were odd moments.

18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm surprised to read that. I've gone from E-M5 to GX7 and back to E-M5, and I'd swear the E-M5 is better in low light, though not by some huge margin.

19. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Phoenix
    Alan Mermelstein
    PS... here's another wedding that shows the distortion of the 15mm. Hmmm... way too many cowboy weddings lately! On the before image, before I corrected to 80 on distortion in C1, check out her face, the column and the window frames.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Well I went from GX7 to M5II and my lovely new camera ain't no GX7 when AF conditions get testy. :)