1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Moving on from the EPL-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pkeenan80, Jul 31, 2013.

1. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Hi Everyone... hoping for a little advice.

I've owned my EPL-1 for two years and love it, I've got the stock lens and a few old manual lenses that I use with adaptors. I get some great photos with this setup but there are a few things I'm not entirely happy with. The manual lenses are great but focusing is a difficult for obvious reasons. This is made worse by the lack of a viewfinder, especially if it's bright outside.

Now an electronic viewfinder and an automatic zoom lens for my EPL-1 are going to set me back the best part of £1000 as far as I can tell and although I don't yet consider myself a good enough photographer to be able to get the most out of a DSLR like an EOS (is it just me that's noticed the world is suddenly full of people with £1000+ cameras who have no idea to use them?) I'm wondering if I'd be better off spending a little more and getting something more substantial than my EPL-1.

I love my Oly, and my photography has come on leaps and bounds in the time I've owned it but I'm not sure if adding to it is a better idea than replacing it.

As regards my photographic ability I'd say I'm halfway between novice and pro. I have a good eye and get some nice shots but it usually takes me 10 attempts for every great shot...

Any info or advice would be welcome...

Thanks!

Pete

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think £1000 may be just a tad of an overestimate! A used VF-2 will likely be £150 or less and a used 12-50 probably similar and maybe as low as £100. If you want to go Panny, a 14-45 is maybe £125. You could go prime too and pick up a 20/1.7 and a 45/1.8 for maybe £400 total (used).

I'd personally go for a VF-2 and the 14-45 as a start. These are both excellent items and will last you through a body upgrade at some point.

Oh - you're right about people with £1000+ cameras and little or no idea. I was in Stratford-upon-Avon last week (never again, it's approaching Disney proportions) and the number of people I saw with expensive DSLRs was amazing. By the time evening came several were taking shots of distant subjects with the flash popped up (the camera probably set on full auto). Canon/Nikon are clearly doing an excellent job at convincing people to spend serious money on cameras they don't really need or understand.

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    If you think you are ready for an upgrade then a good upgrade would be any one of the camera with the newer sensor such as the following:

E-PM2 (direct upgrade to your camera)

E-PL5 - have more controls than the E-PM2

E-P5 - the newest most expensive one with wifi and focus peaking, dual dial, best button layout compared to any Oly m43 camera including the E-M5.

E-M5 - weathersealed, internal E-VF good controls etc. The most popular at the moment.

There are panasonic bodies too, nicer controls but bigger.

I personally got the E-M5 but sold it as I found myself using the E-PM2 more, such a great camera, can access the main basic functions easily and cheap too.

As for lenses, I am not sure what you shoot but the best bang for the buck for portrait shots would be the Oly 45mm f/1.8, for wide angle probably the Panny 14mm f/2.5.

Some people might be able to give more detailed advice...:)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Many thanks for your help guys,

pdk42 - yes there is some decent 2nd hand kit available and thats probably my best bet...

monk3y - like the sound of the E-P5 but will have to see if I can afford it!!

5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yeap I think it's a freaking great camera... :2thumbs:

6. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

Personally i would keep your E-PL1 as backup body, but then buy the E-PM2.

Better image quality, quicker, faster auto focus, touchscreen.

These range from £300-400 new with kit lens, (currently get a free 17mm bonus lens via redemption through Olympus too!)

Then buy a VF-3 new off amazon for about £130. And i would recommend getting a 45mm 1.8 for £200ish too new.

----------------------------------------------------

Or go for the model down, E-PM1, which can be picked up with kit lens for about £150-200 new from ebay.

Then again, buy a VF-2 or VF-3.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Oh and in regards to people with big cameras, it's funny you should say that. I shooting a wedding last weekend, me and me team use Canon 7D's and a variety of lenses, there was this guy mid 20's with a DSLR, looked like a 1100D (entry-level DSLR) and a cheap sigma telephoto lens 70-300. All of the wedding his flash kept popping up, when i got closer i noticed he was shooting in full auto. He basically had it to look good, carrying it around his neck with the supplied neck strap all day, when we use Black Rapid RS Sport straps.
    When we told him to not use his flash while we take the confetti shot, he asked how to turn it off :/ good god man..

7. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Bboy - Funnily enough I use one of those cheap old Sigma lenses on an adapter and love it... but maybe I'm giving away too much about my lack of knowledge/ability there!

I think these DSLR flash/auto people would make a good photography project actually... Go to a tourist attraction and see how many people I can photograph who own cameras worth two or three times more than mine but who might as well be taking pictures with an Iphone...

8. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    His 1100D kit plus the cost of the perfectly capable, and excellent VFM Sigma zoom (the 70-300 APO DG Macro was my favourite lens when I started, just too much of a dust pump for the offroad racing I was shooting) probably cost less than most people here's recommended mu43 kits. Probably cost half. We all start somewhere, and obviously he didn't waste too much money on kit. Hardly a poser? :confused:

For the OP, I'd say an E-PL5 or E-PM2 if you can afford them, with a viewfinder, would be nice. I have the E-PL5 as well as an E-PL1.

9. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Why not wait a few weeks and go for the GX7, if you get a EP-5 you will still have to add a viewfinder

10. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Last month I ended up standing next to a guy using his flash to take pictures of fireworks . . .

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I see the advice already given and it's interesting and full of the lure of the new,
    but
    I own the e-pL1 and cannot bear to use it without my VF-2 attached.
    Buy the VF-2 or VF-4 (not 3) TODAY!
    This will transform your manual focus into an act of joy and precision.
    Later you can splash out on fancy lenses and fancy bodies :D

12. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    What he said!