moving on from 20mm and kit lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by darcius1, Oct 13, 2013.

1. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    I have been using the p20 and o45 on my EM5 for general photography and events. I have been having problems with AF speed and missing too many shots with the p20. Overall very happy with 045, except that the focal length leaves me a bit cramped indoors.

I decided to use my boy's 14-42 kit lens for an outdoor daytime event but was unhappy with the results. With more recent experiences I plan to stay prime with a second body and forego the p12-35 v o12-40.

Time to pick up a shorter lens since I shoot quite a bit indoors. Will probably pickup a 17mm to replace the p20 due to frustration with missed shots.

2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord Subscribing Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    i also suggest the 25/1.4. gorgeous lens

• Like Like x 1
  3. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    Yeah if AF speed is your priority then the O17/1.8 is probably the way to go. Or the P12-35.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Ditto,....the other choices are fine too, but this one is great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    As nice as the Summilux is, the OP said he wanted to go wider, not longer. The m.Zuiko 12mm/2 or m.Zuiko 17mm/1.8 would be better suited.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The 25mm f1.4 is a nice lens, but I can't bring myself to call it a Summilux. It lacks, shall we say, a certain amount of metal, glass, heft, and substance, compared to a real Summilux. Not to mention it ain't from Wetzlar.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

It also lacks a certain amount in the way of price :p

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    That's nothing - literally just one extra zero.

9. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I gotta be honest here. I was actually just about to post my remorse over selling the p20 for the o17/1.8. I also sold the p20 because of the AF speed on my EM5.

But I think I took for granted the amazing sharpness of the panny 20. I can't get the same level of cripness out the 17mm, even stopped down.

(I may be able to recover some of that when I finally get around to buying LR5 and abusing the heck out of the Clarity slider)

But for posed photos, the 17 doesn't hold a candle to the 20. For family pictures, landscapes, still life, the 20 is unmatched. The 17 has been great for action shots.

I wish I had kept both.

• Like Like x 4
  10. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Great, relevant comment - I've always believed the 20 to be vastly underrated.

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Shame about the banding issue... wonder why they never bothered to address that with the update. I predict they will have a resurgence once the E-M5 series sensor bodies get replaced with ones that don't have the issue :)

12. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    Will keep the 20mm for now. Would like to see how the 12 or 17 works out, although I had considered the 25 and various zooms that include the range briefly. All I need is a little more of the green stuff.

Appreciate all of the discussion.

13. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I swapped from the P20 to the 017 this summer as I kept missing people shots - it just couldn't handle anything moving and even vaguely low light. Took it to a friends wedding and the difference is obvious if you're using it indoors/after dark, very happy with the switch.

As above, it depends what you want it for - I find it plenty good enough for dancefloor shots (with a flash). It might not be quite as sharp as the P20 but I much prefer using it. The snap ring was useful when chasing the groom around outside in the dark (again with flash) - nothing else would have focused.

• Like Like x 1
  14. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    Just ordered the Olympus 12mm

15. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Underrated? The 20 has been considered a stellar lens from the moment it entered the m4/3 stage. People were getting GF1 sets just for the lens. I can remember a time in 2010 - was it? - when the 20 was on back order for months(!), and prices sky rocketed. I sold my first copy for quite a bit more on ebay than I had bought it for new in a store. Got it again when demand could be satisfied and street prices settled.
    Admittedly, with all the new lenses that've been released for m4/3 over the years, the 20 lost ground a bit, and users were longing for an updated version with the same stellar optics but better AF and maybe a metal barrel. With a sensor diameter of 21mm the 20 is in fact m4/3's standard lens. While contrast can be quite low when focusing closely, once you take a few steps back its micro-contrast is really high resulting in punchy, and crisp pictures. All that from f/1.7 on makes it even more impressive.
    When I can't decide on gear for a walk or trip, I just throw on the 20 and be done with it.

16. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    phl0wtography, I agree with you re the lens, but comments like yours don't seem to be as regular these days. I just use it in terms of what it CAN do and will always be happy with it, it's a classic imho.