Moving from flickr to another picture host (maybe 500px?)

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm thinking of moving to 500px instead of flickr... why?

I used to log in to flickr via a 'spammy' gmail account, however flickr now seems to be forcing you sign up for a yahoo account. It's annoying to have another account to remember and manage. That in itself is not a big deal but when I try to sign up for a yahoo account, I need to register with my mobile number. I'd rather not share that information with them unless it's absolutely necessary. Maybe it's a mild case of paranoia, but I feel that these big corparations already have enough information about us.

So any downsides to moving to 500px? Seems like another popular platform with photographers.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
I dont see Flickr forcing you to have a Yahoo account. I can still sign in with a spammy gmail address

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You can still log in with gmail at this stage, but on their home page there is a banner saying they will be removing facebook and google sign-ins, and suggest to set up a yahoo account instead.

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
This is in the the message below from flickr staff moderators in the flickr help forum. I don't know about you guys but I'm going to pop smoke and get out of flickr when my google login stops working.

Dear Flickr members,

Starting this month, we will be requesting that everyone use a Yahoo username and password to sign in to Flickr. Eventually, Facebook and Google sign in will be removed. To make the transition immediately, members can get started here (if you already use a Yahoo account this won't apply to you).

Over the next few weeks, if you have been logging in with Facebook and Google IDs, you will be prompted to create a Yahoo username and password when you access your Flickr account. If you already have a Yahoo account, you will be reminded and prompted to use those log-in details.

When you access Flickr with a Yahoo account, you can expect:

- Streamlined sign-in experience - Access the best of Flickr and Yahoo with one account.
- Dedicated service - Yahoo Customer Care can provide full account support.
- The same great Flickr - All the features members know and love are right at their fingertips.

We want to make this change as easy as possible. If you want to know more about the changes, please check out our Help Page.

Thank you for contributing to the Flickr community and we look forward to providing everyone with an even better Flickr experience!

Markus Spiering
Head of Product
Flickr

[EDIT] We're happy to provide support to you here on the Forum, but if you would prefer a phone number and live support, call 1-800-318-0612 for Yahoo Login Help.

[EDIT] We are aware of the issue where the Flickr settings page still shows you are signed in via Google or Facebook after you have set up your Yahoo account. Our engineers are working on this issue and we will update this thread when the fix is complete.

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran
Wow...and I was about sign up for a Flickr account to host some pics.

Anyone uses Google+? Since I already have a Gmail account.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I'm clinging on to the old school Picasa, even though Google are desperately trying to Google+ify it.

I like the clunky old-school, no frills approach to image hosting.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
For what its worth... On the positive side, giving them a phone number (which Google asks for well) is part of their 2 stage security, and I have read articles form tech guys who say its quite helpful if your account gets hacked and your password changed. On the negative side, both Google and Yahoo are moving to a system that will automatically log your computer (or phone or tablet) in to all Google/Yahoo products if you sign into any of them. This complicates having two or more accounts (maybe you want your personal e-mail to be different than your G+, Picasa, or Youtube account to avoid spam), makes it difficult to browse anonymously, and personally, I dislike being logged into a service automatically (for a number of reasons). But this seems to be the future of the internet. Companies are making it more and more difficult to opt out of being tracked continuously.

Lurch

Hi, I'm a gear addict
Real Name
Jason
Theyre all asking for a mob number these days; Google, MS, Yahoo, FB, Paypal etc
It's actually designed for more security and reduce spam accounts.

quatchi

Mu-43 Veteran
I am using 500px and am quite happy with it. I also have a flickr account, but haven't used it much lately. In my opinion, both platforms are different in the way which content to put on. I see flickr more like an online storage for pictures (especially with the 1TB announcement last year) with attached community. 500px on the other hand is more for pictures I really want to show to other people (i.e., quality pictures). I only have a few pictures up on 500px but these are a collection out of my best shots. Whereas on flickr I also have a set of photos from a lens disassembling and cleaning I once did. Interesting and useful to some, but nothing out of my "portfolio" so to speak (even though I do not have or need a portfolio as a pure amateur).

D

Deleted member 20897

It depends on what you want to get out of the sites. Flickr is still a much better place for social interaction, whereas 500px is a better place to show your "Best of the best" images.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I'm thinking of moving to 500px instead of flickr... why?

I used to log in to flickr via a 'spammy' gmail account, however flickr now seems to be forcing you sign up for a yahoo account. It's annoying to have another account to remember and manage. That in itself is not a big deal but when I try to sign up for a yahoo account, I need to register with my mobile number. I'd rather not share that information with them unless it's absolutely necessary. Maybe it's a mild case of paranoia, but I feel that these big corparations already have enough information about us.

So any downsides to moving to 500px? Seems like another popular platform with photographers.

Both yahoo and gmail try to trick you into using your mobile #....but look for the fine print to say "no thanks" or "remind me later" and you can bypass it. I never give out my #. I do the same thing (and I'm a follower of yours on flickr, so I'd miss your photos. :)

dav1dz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
500px is a different beast compared to Flickr. I have both accounts. 500px is increasingly trying to compete with SmugMug, PhotoShelter as a portfolio for photographers. They're now also venturing into stock sales. This is where the best of your work should be posted to in full resolution glory. As a paying member you also get a real portfolio, etc. I'm not a big fan of their "Story" though, it's basically their attempt at blogging.

Flickr is your photo dump. Upload a bunch of photos for quick sharing.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've managed to sign up for a yahoo email account with a fake phone number, so I'll just stick with flickr for now. From your recommendations, I'll might also setup a 500px account for my 'best images'.

Yeah google, facebook, etc have also been asking me for a phone number, but I've managed to skip doing so for now. Sure it's an additional security measure, but I'm still not keen for them to have my phone number. I'd prefer it be linked to another email, instead.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Both yahoo and gmail try to trick you into using your mobile #....but look for the fine print to say "no thanks" or "remind me later" and you can bypass it. I never give out my #. I do the same thing (and I'm a follower of yours on flickr, so I'd miss your photos. :)

It's not a trick. Google has my phone number because my google account is pretty vital. All my accounts.. bills, health, credit, whatever... need an email address. And that's where password resets go or other various things. I protect the hell out of that account. Giving Google my phone number as a means of verification for myself makes it much easier (as does putting in a valid alternate email).

With that said, you could also sign up for a google voice number and use that. It's legit, and you don't have to deal with it until you need to.

Also, I would suggest using LastPass or KeePass to keep track of accounts. Makes it easier... one login for everything is a pipe dream, heh.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
It's not a trick. Google has my phone number because my google account is pretty vital. All my accounts.. bills, health, credit, whatever... need an email address. And that's where password resets go or other various things. I protect the hell out of that account. Giving Google my phone number as a means of verification for myself makes it much easier (as does putting in a valid alternate email).

With that said, you could also sign up for a google voice number and use that. It's legit, and you don't have to deal with it until you need to.

Also, I would suggest using LastPass or KeePass to keep track of accounts. Makes it easier... one login for everything is a pipe dream, heh.

It's a trick when the screen makes it appear that you are required to put in your phone # to log in. Just like when they want you to sign in on youtube just to watch vids when you don't want/have a youtube channel and then they sign you up for google+. I don't want google+, I don't want to share my internet history with the world, but they keep sneaking it in. The opt out is in fine print and not readily apparent. Yahoo does the same thing. That is what I'm referring to. Not everyone wants to share their phone numbers. A phone # isn't vital. An alternate email is a perfectly fine alternative.

I use an alternate email. I don't need big brother having all my info or texting me and tracking my every move.

Jay86

Mu-43 Veteran
Im thinking of moving over to 500px as well these days and just use flickr as a photo dump.

Latest threads

Top Bottom