1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Moving from E-1 to EM-1 after 10 years

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bbodine9, Jun 1, 2014.

1. bbodine9

bbodine9 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    I have been shooting the Oly E-1 for 10 years and a new EM-1 will be arriving this week. What will I notice the most as a change to my photography from users of the new OMD technology? Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Many things - both in terms of the shooting experience itself and the resulting photography, and for multiple reasons, many of which due to the fact that you're doing a bit of a quantum leap between multiple generations of cameras.

What lens are you getting it with - or are you planning to only use it with your current 4/3 lenses?

Most different aspects:

- First of all, E-M1 is not an SLR, so no mirror and no optical viewfinder. The electronic viewfinder is big and bright though,
    - Fantastic stabilisation. You will find yourself shooting at shutter speeds you never thought you'd get usable results with,
    - Great low light performance (ISO + stabilisation). It's not that E-M1 is a world leader in this area, it definitely isn't, it's just that it's light years ahead of the the E-1, and what it lacks in ISO performance (in today's full frame DSLR satandards!), it makes up with stabilisation,
    - Very quick operation (if you get a decent SD card) - no slowness or buffering,
    - Very fast autofocus, and many more AF points than the E-1 (which has 3, right?),
    - An abundance of customisation options and function keys you can re-assign. Sometimes too much!

Other than that I don't think you will have many issues with getting used to the controls - the back LCD screen is much bigger than the 1.8" in the E-1 so the controls are much further to the right, still they are largely similar. Well, the on/off button is on the left side now so as many have pointed out already, the E-M1 is less one-handed operation friendly.

Simply put - I think you will be amazed by this camera for many months to come, and eventually this will tone down a little just to thinking it's great :) You may also find it that you are taking many more pictures than you used to.

3. bbodine9

bbodine9 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    Plan on using my 14-54 and 50-200 from the E-1 and picking up the 17mm 1.8 with the new body. Thanks for your comments.

4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    The ability to crop in and still have enough mpx left over for a decent sized image.

Shooting high ISO (above 800)

Stabilization

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I still have my E-1.

On the up side, you'll notice vastly improve technical performance in terms of ISO, frame rates, flexibility, focussing, LCD screen, viewfinder etc.

The only down side may be that the actual images don't have that E-1 (CCD sensor) look. That's not to say the results will be bad, but they will be different and you may initially be slightly disappointed.