moving from DSLR to M4\3 dont know what to chose GF3 or E-PM1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dror1723, Jun 18, 2012.

1. dror1723

dror1723 New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2012
    i decide to move from my 400D dslr to MIRORLESS

and i finelly decide to go GF3 or E-PM1

need help to decide wich beter.
    sorry about my english

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    No need to apologize about your english. Easily understood.

I really depends on what you want out fo a camera. The E-PM1 and GF3 are both wonderful, small, go anywhere cameras. I am a big fan of Panasonic cameras but between those two I would probably lean more towards the E-PM1 as it has a bit more flexibility in that is able to utilize an external viewfinder (EVF) where the Panasonic cannot. The E-PM1 also has in-body image stabilization (IBIS) where the Panasonic must rely on using a stabilized lens and in my opinion better auto white balance (AWB) and more reliable metering. The Panasonic on the other hand is (in my opinion) a bit more comfortable to hold, has a built-in flash and a more useable LCD. The E-PM1's LCD is in a 16:9 ratio meaning that the standard 4:3 image appears smaller on it than on the GF3. Also, if you are planning to use a manual focus lens the GF3 has a nifty little picture-in-picture manual focus aid that is quite handy. Looking at image quality you won't find much difference at all between the two cameras.

As to which one is better...in all honesty it's more a matter of what you prefer.

They are both quick to AF, fast shot to shot, the

3. dror1723

dror1723 New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2012
    THX alot about your answer
    im looking for small handly camera but need to be like DSLR , fast AF , manual control , lens, after hours in google i decide to go with this 2 ...
    when you say PIP for manual focus what you mean, how u use in the EPM1 manual focus.

thx

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    The E-PM1 supports a remote shutter release and wireless flash, too. The GF3 doesn't.... I chose the E-PM1 over the GF-3 because I found the GF-3 to be more like a point & shoot, whereas the E-PM1 has more features I'd expect to see on a more expensive camera. Both are very small, very nice cameras. :smile:

5. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    To manual focus an old lens with the EPM1, you allocate a button for magnify mode. This blows up the image 7X-14X and you can focus that. When using long lenses, an optional and expensive electronic viewfinder attachment may be purchased. This accessory also helps when bright sunlight makes the LCE hard to see, and it helps when hand holding long lenses.

The EPM1 has no P-A-S-M mode dial and few buttons. Some DLSR users won't like it. While you can set ISO, aperture, shutter, and exposure compensation, you have to press a button and get into a menu to do it. It's not hard, in my opinion, but I have used more clumsy cameras.

Still, it's a fast camera although clean ISO stops around ISO 1000. I like mine.

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I would get the epm1 as well

typed on my phone, sorry.

7. dror1723

dror1723 New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2012
    Ok guys i will go with the EPM1
    Thx you all

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    EPM1 is awesome.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's a great little camera (and that is coming from a Panasonic fan) :eek:

10. PointZero

PointZero Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    Both the GF3 and the EPM1 are marketed more aggressively to replace point-and-shoot cameras. However, not having a hotshoe mount (on the GF3) is going to hurt you more in the long run. Also, that camera was definitely designed to sacrifice features for a more compact design.

I would go with the EPM1 as a replacement for your Rebel. The SCP menu of Olympus is much better than Panasonic's Quick Menu. Having gone from Panasonic to Olympus, Panasonic only has the advantage when it has more hardware buttons. This not being the case, Olympus is of much better value for two reasons. The first reason is in-body image stabilization; the second being great out of camera JPEGs.