Moving away from FF to MFT

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Lucky, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Lucky

Lucky Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2014
    Hi people.

First about me. I'm from Reykjavík, Iceland, father of three. My day job is in ATC and photography is a serious hobby.

I recently moved away from Canon, I've been using Canon DSLR's for 8 or 9 years. I tried MFT few years back with the Oly ep3 and a 12mm f2. It didn't stick on me then.
    Since the OMD em5 came out, I have been tempted to try the MFT system again. When I took the plunge in december I decided to sell my 5D mkII kit to force myself to stick to the OMD while I get more comfortable with it.

My new kit is the OMD em5 + grip, Oly 12mm f2, 45mm f1.8 and a Metz 48 flash. Ohh I also got the 12-50 with the camera but I'm not sure I like that lens.
    I can see a 60 macro, and a maybe a 75mm in a not so distant future.
    I have a Pany GF1 which I intend to have modified for InfraRed. Please comment if you have any info on this subject.

Some notes on the MFT after a months use:
    The OMD em5 underexposes a bit to my taste, I tried ETTR and in processing I only bring back the Highlights for a good exposure.
    The files are not as clean as I would like, being kind of a pixelpeeper this is bugging me a bit.
    I'm using LR4 and I am dissatisfied with LR support for Olympus.
    On the positive side, my kit is now way smaller and lighter than before.
    Those oly lenses are really good.
    This system suites casual photogs like me.

Now some pics.

• Like Like x 6
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    On the under exposing issue, I've set a permanent +0.5 EV correction.
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Steini!

Welcome to the forum!

4. geoawelch

geoawelch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    The newer versions of LR do well with OM-D files.
  5. Lucky

Lucky Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2014
    I forgot perharps the most important thing in the introduction. My name is Aðalsteinn, shortened to Steini like someone has already found out. :smile:
  6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    If you're sticking with LR4 the Huelight profiles are worth every penny of the $10.00 they cost. The newer cameras like the EM1 are getting better support in LR5.

7. Sorry to hijack.. but it's sort of related...

I have my E-M1 on the way and I currently have LR4. Is it worth the upgrade to LR5, or is LR4 with Huelight profiles just as good?
  8. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I also just found out about PSKiss cross camera profiles for LR. I will probably try both those and Huelight in the next few weeks. (I have a GH3 and don't think LR does it justice. Dxo does better pretty consistently but could be a bit better too, plus I don't really enjoy browsing around in DXO, it is really sluggish)
  9. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    You will need lr5 to recognize your em1
  10. I'm a user of DNG anyways.. so I can use ACR to convert the ORF to DNG. So that's a way to overcome that barrier, I believe. But are there any other drawbacks to LR4 with the E-M1?
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Love that 2nd shot! :cool:
    (I just wish I was into photography when I was stationed at Keflavik) :frown:
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Wait.... No pl25/1.4?! Gasp!!!
  13. Lucky

Lucky Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2014
    I'm using +0.7, sometimes less.

Noted. But I bought LR4 just weeks before LR5 was published. I hate to throw $$.

Will investigate.

Well I'd like to know also if Huelight is just as good as upgrading LR4 to LR5 if using E-M5?

I bet you do, I work there, in the Tower.

Sarcasm much?

Thanks for your warm welcome!