1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Moving away from DSLR

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bbarnett51, Aug 23, 2015.

1. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    So I bought an em10 and a few inexpensive lenses. Oly 40-150 4-5.6, Sigma 30/2.8, and 60/2.8. I bought it for street and travel. All of the sudden I'm using it for EVERYTHING! My Canon 7d is an awesome camera but I feel like it's a real burden all of the sudden.

I'm not telling you all things you don't know but I've been surprised at a few aspects of m43. First is DOF. Everyone tall abut the sacrifice you make in regard to depth of field. That can be true with portraits but can also be overcome by shooting a longer focal length. BUT it also allows you to shoot the many m43 fast primes wide open and get your subject in focus. This is especially useful in action shots where a shallow depth of field is a hindrance. But shooting an m43 at 2.8 or even 1.8 gives a more useable DOF in more instances than not. I actually prefer it and welcome it!

The EVF. Again I was warned about the EVF. I love it! The em10 doesn't have the best one around so I'm excited to experience the em1. But again it's part of the m43 system I was warned about bit turned out to be BETTER than the optical in DSLRs.

Next is affordability. I'm a hobbyist and don't make money off of photography. I have 2 small kids in private school and I can't justify buying Canon L glass other than the rare occasion. The M43 lens lineup is SPECTACULAR! I can buy incredible glass at affordable prices. So I can treat myself throughout the year and have a first class system.

Lastly, obviously size. I shoot a lot of wildlife with my Canon 7D and Sigma 150-500. It's a huge combo and is very heavy when hiking miles and becomes a true burden. I also get stopped and asked a million questions. Sometimes they tell me about their cousins friends boyfriend who owns a camera. This doesn't happen with my em10...which I love.

I've listed my Canon gear on Craigslist and will but the em1 and several lenses to replace it. But the smallness of the em10 will probably mean it goes with me.

Here are a few shots from the em10 with the cheap 40-150 and the Sigma 30mm 2.8. LOVING the m43 world!!!! FB_IMG_1440265370047. FB_IMG_1440285986182. 2015-08-18 07.50.48.

• Like Like x 21
  2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Welcome to :mu43:! It sounds like you've found the system for you. I think that you will find that there are many advantages mirrorless has over DSLRs, and a number of areas that used to be disadvantages are not any more (such as the EVF, as you saw). If you peruse this forum, you'll find all sorts of great discussions about that.

For wildlife, it's a good time to join :mu43:, but you will probably want the E-M1 or perhaps its eventual successor. C-AF and tracking used to be woefully inadequate, as did the selection of good super telephoto options. But all of this has been changing with firmware updates and new long lenses.

3. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Welcome to our world! Nice shots.

:Welcome:

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    echoing the sentiments of others, welcome to the wonderful world of m43, and nice shots too.

I grabbed the Panasonic G1 when it was first released and have not looked back. It was only a little while later that I sold all my Canon gear after using Canon EOS since 1991

:Welcome:

anyway, don't forget all the low priced adapted lenses you can try, both creatively and pragmatically. Consider having a go with tilt adapters and some well priced telephotos. The 14mm Panasonic pancake is fantastic value and with the GWC-1 adapter becomes a low priced 9mm 11mm f2.5 lens too.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I also came from a 7D and a few nice L lenses. I do not miss it.

Z...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    One lens which has always made me smile is the Panasonic 45-175mm for this very reason, it's a very small unassuming lens - It's about the same size as the 40-150 however it doesn't extend. No one looks at it and thinks "long telephoto", it's just a small (by APS-C or FF this lens is *tiny*) lens on a prosumer camera... yet it has the same high optical quality of the higher end panasonic X series lenses to boot.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#482.375,482.95,ha,t

• Like Like x 1
  7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Not meaning to nitpick - isn't it a 0.79x converter, so 11mm? If I could get 9mm that would be huge!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Your story is not uncommon. My GX7 pushed my 60D out the door pretty quickly! :)

I shoot mainly portraits, and the DOF issue vs Canon 1.6x crop is just nothing. I was worried and in reality the difference is so small you need to be looking at a labelled side by side to tell the difference. Plus all my m4/3 glass can be shot wide open and it's as sharp as my Canon lenses were stopped down. For example, my 25mm f1.8 has less DOF control than my Sigma 30mm f1.4 did on APS-C by quite a bit on paper. But the 25mm f1.8 is razor sharp across the frame at f1.8! My 30mm f1.4 was only sharp in the middle until about f2.8 and I usually used it at f2. My 75mm f1.8 is probably sharper at f1.8 than my Canon 85mm f1.8 was at f8! :)

I think you are seeing better focus not due to the DOF, but due to the increased accuracy of contrast detect AF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Correct, my goof. I am home with the flu is the only explanation I can offer for that mistake. God knows I've written enough about the pair in the past.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I actually prefer the output and focus tracking of my DSLRs, but with two kids and a body that's not get any younger, going mirrorless for my everyday camera makes more sense. I still have my DSLRs for serious work, but man my body feels beat after a hard day shooting!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    We spread those negative rumours about m43 to keep the crowds away. Welcome. You discovered our secret.

• Like Like x 1