1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Movin on up

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by jodavis21, Jun 27, 2012.

1. jodavis21

jodavis21 New to Mu-43

Jun 26, 2012
    Hello from San Diego,

First, thanks to everyone for all the great info available here.

Have been messing around with a Canon S95 for the past year and just moved up to an EM5 / 12-50 which I received this past weekend.

Considered some entry level DLSR's, but couldn't resist the size and now, very compelling IQ that m43 offers.

Loving it so far. Man what a difference.

Now to start building out the lens collection.

First up will be the 75mm 1.8 which is intended to shoot my daughters gymnastics competitions. Crossing my fingers that it will be able to keep up and that the reach will be sufficient.

Second, I'm really drawn to the 7-14. Kind of curious what else the anticipated upgraded model may offer beside IS or if I should just pull the trigger now?

Don't really need the IS with OMD, but who knows, maybe I could end up with a Panny body at some future point.

Also, just noticed the 20mm 1.7's are back in stock, but with the rumored oly 25mm f1.8, wondering if I should wait? Could be nice to avoid the the rattle noise I've read about and the high ISO banding issues with the EM5 provided the oly holds up on IQ?

Cheers,
    -Jon

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Finally, someone as bad as I am about jumping in with both feet and picking up a lens collection :biggrin:

First, welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here and get some good info and inspiration like I have. Some thoughts on your lens suggestions:

1) 75mm lens: this has all the makings of an awesome portrait and mid-telephoto lens. For shooting gymnastics you might want to also consider the upcoming Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8. I suspect for events I'd personally find the 35-100 range slightly more useful than a fixed prime. However, you'd lose a stop of aperture speed and the auto-focus speed may be different between the two lenses, so it'll come down to your priorities I imagine.

2) 7-14mm: This one I have (fairly recent acquisition) and love it - it's a great lens. While I don't use it as often as some others in my collection, I *love* what you can do with the ultra-wide angle. Check out the image thread for this lens here on mu-43 and you'll see some of the awe-inspiring style of shots that can be done with this lens. I'll give you a friendly warning though - perusing image threads here may be detrimental to your bank balance! :wink:

3) regarding the 20mm f/1.7: I have the lens and love it, have taken many shots with it. Not being an OM-D owner I can't advise on the banding question. If you're not dying to get it, I'd say wait and see if the rumored 25mm materializes... more choices is a good thing right?

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I would say go for the 20/1.7. It is hard to beat for IQ and unbeatable for size. I use it on my E-M5 and don't run into any banding, mostly because the speed and E-M5's IBIS makes it pretty easy to stay at 1600 and lower.

I wouldn't worry to much about the new version of the 7-14 given the IBIS. The only thing, maybe, to consider would be whether the 12mm would work for you? I love this lens and find the 24mm FoV to work for a lot of different shooting. Yeah, it doesn't do 14mm, but it does do filters and is smaller and lighter.

The other comment I would make is that it would seem like a zoom would give you more flexibility for kid sports stuff. Maybe you could start with the 45/1.8 as your portrait instead? Another great m4/3 lens!

4. jodavis21

jodavis21 New to Mu-43

Jun 26, 2012
    Thanks for the warm welcome and good points on the lenses.

Certainly have my eye on the 35-100m f/2.8. Would be great to get to the extra reach and zoom flexibility.

Even so, have read from some other gymnastics shooters that even 2.8 lenses may struggle in some of these pretty poorly lit gyms.

Nevertheless, very interested in it as a core lens to keep in the kit. :smile:

Hmm.. you're tempting me to go with the 20mm, just to have a smaller option to carry around than the 12-50 right now.

Spending quite a bit of time at 12mm with the kit lens to get a feel. Really like it but still feel a need to go wider!

I like to shoot in and around airplanes where I think ultra wide angle would be fun.

Also, hoping to do more landscape while out on the trail.

It's great to see the ever increasing options available. Seems like a great time to be in gear acquisition mode.